Day 5 Depression

Options

Replies

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, it's an on-going process. There are times (usually at THAT time of the month lol) that I want to eat everything, and the other times I do pretty well. I've resolved to the fact that I have to just do my best everyday to fight off urges to eat everything. I've recently spent a lot of time on Pinterest looking for healthy treats that I can make and have on hand for little treats to myself. Hang in there. It's definitely a journey and you'll figure out what your body needs to do to get over those humps. Good luck!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    OK small AP lesson. For all those out there whobelieve that sugar is not an addiction I challenge you to look up the definition of an addiction and what it does to your brain. You will find that the addictions to cocaine and alcohol have the same effect on your brain that sugar does and when you grow up with having a constant influx of sugar you tend to have the same reaction as an adequate this is been scientifically proven and can have an addiction.I also find it interesting that a place where you are supposed to get support can have so much negativity.

It really is not established scientifically. I am sorry you feel jumped on, but as someone who previously had huge sugar problems for my entire adult life, I have to say that the answer for me was in learning how to balance foods and realize I have full control over my choices. I wrote about my experience in the first thread in my profile. Anyways, I wish you luck. Cutting out sugar for a little while can be helpful, but I absolutely believe you can work it back in and that has a big advantage of giving you flexibility and the understanding that you can control any food.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    What ever you say or believe it doesn't matter

But as long you have zero% willpower you wont succeed.
    Stop making excuses
    Bare the pain, un-comfort or whatever it takes and when it is that bad i would clean my pantry out of everything that i cant eat....for a month or so

I like crisps. And i sure dont say i am addicted lol because i dont see it that way.
    But for some weeks i just didn't had them in the house.

Now i do, my husband eats them I had 5 crisps in the last half year. It doesn't bother me at all anymore.

Its habits you have to learn but also habits that you have to beat.
    Eating sweets is a habit, and not eating them too.

So the only thing that will help you is willpower and nobody here can do that for you. YOU have to do this and when you want it bad enough you will succeed.
  • taracody2011
    Options
    Have u tried substituting sugar for Stevia? That might help!
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Is it sad that I'm enjoying this mini flame war over sugar?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

pulls out another chair, sit down....shares my popcorn with ya.
    Enjoy the coming time reading here till the post will be closed down.

• TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    To jasmineboyle:
    I actually thought about you during lunch. My brother took me to an ale house restaurant. Fried, fried, and fried are most of the choices. But I ordered the chicken breast dinner...supposedly 430 calories. While I'm not absolutely sure it was 430, it was a small breast, serving of potatoes, and fresh-cooked green beans. Very little salt, too, and I was REALLY impressed.

My nephew and my brother and my brother got a cheese burger and a cheese steak sandwich. And fries. Fries used to be my killer. GIVE ME ALL THE FRIES!!! If I had potato chips in the house, I would eat them until they were gone.

And today? Nothing. Their fried food looked good, but I didn't want it. My plate was colorful, tasteful, and my brother said, "Oh wow, I should have gotten that."

So give it time! You'll develop better habits, and those cravings will go away. It never crossed my mind to order that. Even when my brother said he wanted something like a burger, I told him to go there because I knew they did have a few healthy choices on the menu.

Keep it up, you'll make it!
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Linovitz wrote: »
    Hershey's kisses work best for me. One has only about 25 calories and helps with sugar cravings.
    This would definitely help me stop eating chocolate as they taste like sick to me! I go with a low cal hot chocolate.
  • kkunzler
    kkunzler Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cut out processed sugar in my life, cold turkey, this November. (I still eat fruit, agave, molasses, that sort of thing) I can tell you that the first bit is annoying and uncomfortable, and strange - and I can also tell you that about 6 months later, I no longer crave sugar, I don't get headaches or tummy upsets, I feel better, I look better, I've lost weight, and I am SO glad I did it.

After about a week, I had gotten rid of everything in my home that tempted me AND replaced it with other things - fruit, honey, whole grains, and others. This way, when I wanted something sweet, I could have some raspberries with honey or sugar free greek yogurt. Just taking it out of my house would not have worked for me - I needed to replace it with something else.

After three weeks, I didn't think about Costco cake or caramel popcorn (my biggest sugary loves), and before a month was up, I pretty much lost my cravings altogether.

Cold turkey isn't the way to go for some people - sometimes gradually diminishing your portion size, replacing sugar with stevia, or something else works. Whatever way works best for you, I can't encourage you enough to stick with it!! Make sure you're getting enough protein, carbs, healthy fat, water, sleep, exercise, etc. etc. and keep up the good work!

If you're having a particularly bad day, feel free to message me, and we can talk. I've found a lot of things that are sweet without using sugar, and those can help if you're craving something. I'm also nice :blush:

If your depression gets worse, or stays a long time, talk to your doctor. They know more about it than I do, that's for sure! ^-^

Wishing you success!
    ~Katie
  • McRhi
    McRhi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The depression is not fun! I understand. It's just a stage, see it through, it's worth it. I'm on a very clean diet ATM, I find really sweet fruit helps with sugar cravings; mangos, melons, bananas, Sharon fruit ... I even unpeel the bananas and freeze them, when you take them out they taste like a wholesome minimilk - good luck
  • jasmineboyle
    jasmineboyle Posts: 22 Member
    Options

You can do it. I believe in you.
    Brandon[/quote]

A heartfelt thank you.
  • jasmineboyle
    Options
    So are gambling and sex addiction not real because the withdrawal won't kill them? I'm confused.

Anyway back to why you originally posted. I'd just say keep busy, make sure you are eating enough fat, protein and carbs, try and find other ways to treat yourself (nice bath, new makeup, time to sit and read or watch TV). Reward yourself and be kind to yourself while you ride it out.

And be wary of comparing yourself to alcoholics. It's a trigger subject that affects a lot of people. It often leads to hurt feelings.

I understand this for sure and I never meant to start a alcoholism vs sugar debate. In reality, I am more interested in how people get through the detox and (let me be PC) "behavior modifications and psychological symptoms".
    I'm really trying to stay active which seems to help a lot. At this point, until I'm past this hump, I can't keep temptations in the house.
    On a side note, the thing I don't understand- does anyone know or even care if I am an alcoholic? Does that give me license to compare the two?
  • jasmineboyle
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

If you want to cut out "added sugar", start with your Americano and leave out the sugar.

The Americano is a step down from the 20 oz caramel macadamia double sweet mocha with whipped cream I normally get every day. I think I'll jump one hurdle at a time.
  • jasmineboyle
    Options
    So because you're a nurse you must be right? I consulted two paramedics and a nurse who all agree that sugar addiction is real. What now? Who's right?
    So you know or are an alcoholic and you're offended by my use of the comparison? What if I'm an alcoholic, does that make it ok?
    Unless you yourself have completed an extensive scientific study on addictions, I really don't think anyone has the right to slam someone as wrong and confused. There is just as much research which suggests consistent over - consumption of sugar alters the neuro - pathways in the brain as there is (I'm sure) those who believe it is a crutch for us weak people who need a label to rest on and we just need to pull up our big girl panties and take responsibility for our choices. You think I don't already tell myself that I'm weak and pathetic for not being on top of this? I don't need your negative voice echoing my own.
    You're right, I will not die if I stop eating sugar, but please don't discredit what I'm going through. It's real.
    Depression, obsessive behavior, GI upset, mood swings, anxiety, insomnia, these are real symptoms.
    The sugar in my diary is a massive cut back from what I used to consume and it was and is a battle being here so don't criticize me.
    If the label "addiction" offends you, feel free to politely give it a more appropriate name.
    I came here asking for tips on how people get through depression, not a debate on proper use of the word addict.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »
    I thought I was the same way. I really did think that if I had treats in the house I was doomed to eat them, and since we keep goodies for the kids I was destined to never lose weight. Then I realized I was wrong. It is MY CHOICE to eat what I want. Whether that is 15 candy bars, because I WANT to eat that, or just one or two hershey's minis. The food is not making that decision for me. And if I WANT to eat more than would be considered a typical serving, that's fine. It's my choice to do that.

I can choose to incorporate it into my calories, and eat less of something else. Or I can choose to go over my calorie goal and accept that I may lose a little less that week, which, oh well. It's not like a race where I have to lose X pounds by a certain time. This is just how I am living my life now, so sometimes I will eat more than others and that is totally fine. It will all settle out in the long term, as long as I am making sure MOST days are adhering to my calorie goals.

You don't have to be depressed and deprived. I understand that feeling and I've felt that feeling a lot. Then I stopped being a victim to the food and chose to be in control.

^This

I always blamed lacked of willpower too. Until I realised that I wanted to be a healthy weight, and be there for my daughter, far more than I wanted a moment of gluttony.

Now I eat what I want, in reasonable portions, and as they fit in to my daily calorie goals.
  • jasmineboyle
    Options
    To jasmineboyle:
    So give it time! You'll develop better habits, and those cravings will go away. It never crossed my mind to order that. Even when my brother said he wanted something like a burger, I told him to go there because I knew they did have a few healthy choices on the menu.

That is awesome! Thank you for the encouragement.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It is much easier to push blame on to something, than it is to take actual responsibility for it...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    To jasmineboyle:
    I actually thought about you during lunch. My brother took me to an ale house restaurant. Fried, fried, and fried are most of the choices. But I ordered the chicken breast dinner...supposedly 430 calories. While I'm not absolutely sure it was 430, it was a small breast, serving of potatoes, and fresh-cooked green beans. Very little salt, too, and I was REALLY impressed.

My nephew and my brother and my brother got a cheese burger and a cheese steak sandwich. And fries. Fries used to be my killer. GIVE ME ALL THE FRIES!!! If I had potato chips in the house, I would eat them until they were gone.

And today? Nothing. Their fried food looked good, but I didn't want it. My plate was colorful, tasteful, and my brother said, "Oh wow, I should have gotten that."

Great example. Thanks for sharing it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    OP have you been diagnosed as depressed? Are you on medication for it?

Why not cut by 50% the sugar you add to your drinks and gradually reduce it to nothing or drink water? It will wean you off.
  • jasmineboyle
    Options

pulls out another chair, sit down....shares my popcorn with ya.
    Enjoy the coming time reading here till the post will be closed down.

As long as that popcorn is air-popped sans butter and salt, I'll pull up a chair too. :smile:
    Last night I was truly beside myself over this, today it has passed into the realm of entertaining.