Day 5 Depression

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    TL;DR all the thread.

There is no need to cut all sugar from your diet. Otherwise, you'll end up binging even more. Eat some sweet fruits or a piece of chocolate if you can manage moderation.
  • jasmineboyle
    jasmineboyle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    OP have you been diagnosed as depressed? Are you on medication for it?

Why not cut by 50% the sugar you add to your drinks and gradually reduce it to nothing or drink water? It will wean you off.

Thank you for asking. Not that my mental status is a free for all, but yes I have been clinically diagnosed with depression in the past. I was recently weaned off anti-depressants under a physchologist's supervision and have been seen repeatedly to ensure that I am doing well.
  • jasmineboyle
    jasmineboyle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3272277/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories

I would like to take a minute and thank those that have supported me through this "hurdle" in the goal of bettering myself. I have provided articles for some reading on the brains response to sugar and the brains response to substance abuse as well as the definition of addiction. Please feel free to pick apart the ideas and CONFIRMED diagnoses' that these PHD and MD credentialed Dr's have developed. Please let me know what the nurse practitioner and you a STUDENT in the healthcare field think. I have made sure to pull these from trusted verified medical sites and papers. If you would like more please let me know as these can be found at Princeton, Harvard, Psychology Today ect.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

No I can't keep hot chocolate in the house because I end up putting double or triple the normal amount of powder in a mug to make it an extra sweet sludge. When I say sugar addict, I mean that quite literally. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to just buy less liquor and portion it out better. And it's not that I have intentionally cut sugar, just making healthier choices which naturally leads to consuming less empty calories like sugar.
    My goal is the 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein so I have greatly increased my protein intake and no I haven't cut caffeine.
    I'm starting to feel like a freak though because no one seems to understand the physiological addiction. It's more than knowledge, willpower and planning...

I totally understand and I'm the same. There is no "just one" with me. A lot of people on this forum will insist sugar addiction doesn't exist, but they are mistaken. (I didn't even bother reading the previous posts, because I've heard it all before and I'm not interested in arguing about it. I'm aware that the medical community is divided on the subject at the moment, but I don't need a research paper to validate it for me.)

Anyway, I'm approaching my addiction (just starting out with this approach) like I did when I quit smoking, so I'm having none... no desserts, no sugary fruits, etc. And yes, withdrawal symptoms, depression, insomnia, cravings... suck but as someone pointed out, they are temporary. Just hang in there!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Anyway, I'm approaching my addiction (just starting out with this approach) like I did when I quit smoking, so I'm having none... no desserts, no sugary fruits, etc. And yes, withdrawal symptoms, depression, insomnia, cravings... suck but as someone pointed out, they are temporary. Just hang in there!

What about vegetables? Dairy? Are you truly having nothing with sugar?

• Chrysalid2014
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »

It is ridiculously offensive to me that you would try to liken your CHOICE to not deal with a little bit of discomfort the the very real and LIFE THREATENING reality that make up true chemical dependency. Peope DIE from withdrawals. Their heart stops because they stop taking drugs. You know what will happen to you if you stop eating plain sugar? You might get a headache. You might feel a bit hungrier than normal. Maybe some digestive upset. Now stop playing the victim and make the decision. You do want to make the change or you don't.

I'd just like to add, uninformed posts like this are "ridiculously offensive". No-one dies from nicotine withdrawal either but does that mean nicotine is not addictive?

Oh, and guess what happens when you go through nicotine withdrawal? You get a headache. You feel hungrier than normal. You get depressed and cranky.... etc etc

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

What about vegetables? Dairy? Are you truly having nothing with sugar?

I'm not having anything with any added sugar, or any foods that are naturally high in sugar (including apples, pears, grapes, bananas, dried fruit, juice, beetroot, etc), or anything with artificial sweeteners either as those seem to trigger sugar cravings in me. I liken this approach to using nicotine patches or gum as an aid to quit smoking – you get a tiny bit of the addictive substance, but none of the emotional gratification that comes with the habit.

I've read things that suggest there needs to be a certain concentration of an addictive substance in something to 'set off' the user (and have found this is backed up in my own experience. Apples set me off, for example, but raspberries don't). Similarly, my reformed alcoholic brother in law can eat fruit cake that has been infused with brandy without it triggering a drinking relapse.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm not having anything with any added sugar, or any foods that are naturally high in sugar (including apples, pears, grapes, bananas, dried fruit, juice, beetroot, etc), or anything with artificial sweeteners either as those seem to trigger sugar cravings in me.

So when your post above said "none," it meant none outside of a definition you established? This seems a bit like the guy who will tell you get stopped drinking before he explains why beer doesn't "really count."

The principle of over-coming an addiction though moderating consumption only is pretty controversial. It seems a bit bizarre to want to wrap yourself in the validating language of addiction and then reject the methods generally used in treating addiction.

Of course, as you said, you reject the idea of comparing your personal experience to what research has shown and adjusting your views on reality accordingly.
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

So when your post above said "none," it meant none outside of a definition you established? This seems a bit like the guy who will tell you get stopped drinking before he explains why beer doesn't "really count."

Yes, that's what it meant. Beer counts for my bro-in-law, but rum babas and brandy infused fruit cake don't count. And he's been sober for ten years. [Edited for clarification to add: the point being that (some) recovered addicts are able to tolerate small amounts of the addictive substance in very small concentrations without triggering a relapse.]

The principle of over-coming an addiction though moderating consumption only is pretty controversial. It seems a bit bizarre to want to wrap yourself in the validating language of addiction and then reject the methods generally used in treating addiction.

As eating a diet comprised of 100% meat and fish isn't an option for me, there isn't really any other way to go about it.
  • janejellyroll
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, that's what it meant. Beer counts for my bro-in-law, but rum babas and brandy infused fruit cake don't count. And he's been sober for ten years.

I am not sure how personal anecdotes about your brother-in-law are supposed to be received. Because your brother-in-law eats fruitcake, sugar addiction is real?

My point is that you aren't eating none, you are eating some. This seems to indicate (along with the anecdotes about your brother-in-law) that you believe addiction can be treated through simply moderating consumption. The point is that this is a somewhat controversial idea for treatment.

I realize you already said you don't care what research shows, but for people who do, I think it is worth noting.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OP, I get it. Ignore the haters and self-righteous idiots. Because they do not experience addiction to sugar, they think it is impossible. I have been where you are. What you are dealing with sounds legit, based on my experience and your description. The "support" section on MFP is poorly moderated and you get more snarky disrespect than support here.

As to your original post, hang in there as long as you can. It gets easier, but never totally goes away. Find a healthy replacement obsession. ZombiesRun and Couch to 5K was that for me. I had to play (walking, then running) to build my virtual town.

Lastly, like most addicts, you will fall off the wagon at some point. Forgive yourself and know that the sooner you climb back on the easier it will be. You can do this!
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    oooookay I'm blown away with the disrespect I'm seeing here.

Jasmineboyle -- don't take the naysayers to heart. I was married to an alcoholic, my father was an alcoholic, and yes, I was ADDICTED to sugar and felt every single thing you're feeling now. The two stimulants are different and they cause different reactions, but yes, it is legitimate and others being offended doesn't change that. The fact that other people take offense to it just goes to show that they don't understand what you're going through... and there is PLENTY of evidence out there that shows sugar IS chemically addictive. I won't even argue this point anymore because it's ridiculous.

I felt the same way you did--you just have to push through it. If you can hold off sugar for a week or two you will start to see everything drastically improve, including your mood. I'm a totally different person now that I don't have that addiction. My decision making skills are better, I have more energy, things don't affect me emotionally as much...the list goes on. But sticking to it long enough to get it out of your system can be tough.

If you haven't already I'd look into keto, that's what I used to help me during that rough patch because when your body is in ketosis you can seriously eat as much as you want (of the approved foods) and since I was so distraught over THE LACK OF MY STIMULANT, I wanted to eat and eat and eat....after a few days that tapered off, but it was good to have the backup.

Feel free to add me if you'd like support. And I'm sorry that the posters in this thread are being ridiculous. That seems to happen around here, there's a bit of a hive mind and if you don't do exactly as everyone else you're "wrong."
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Am afraid you miss the point in that is it a proven physiological addiction or is it not? Clearly a lot of people think it is and others think it isnt. you arent really going to convince either camp.

In the context of losing weight, then its suely more constructive to work out ways of becoming less reliant on sugar if thats one of the things that stands in your way of hitting your calorific deficit. Be practial and pragmatic instead of dwelling on things.

Hunger and nutrition were more important factors to me and if I wnat sugar that badly then I will go an exercise for it. In the meantime I look to reduce sugar in practical ways, not because its evil but because it makes it more difficult to hit goals. At some stage losing weight becomes more importnat than the hit you get from sugar and you figue out alternatives.
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Good luck in your endeavours. You're going to need it.

Toodles.

I don't know how you feel comfortable with yourself at night, having such a disgusting attitude.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    others being offended doesn't change that. The fact that other people take offense to it just goes to show that they don't understand what you're going through...

Disagreeing with someone isn't the same thing as being offended.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    OK small AP lesson. For all those out there whobelieve that sugar is not an addiction I challenge you to look up the definition of an addiction and what it does to your brain. You will find that the addictions to cocaine and alcohol have the same effect on your brain that sugar does and when you grow up with having a constant influx of sugar you tend to have the same reaction as an adequate this is been scientifically proven and can have an addiction.I also find it interesting that a place where you are supposed to get support can have so much negativity.

Nevermind the derision or the hysterics or the personal umbrage displayed by those who think junkies and drunks are the only "addicts" to be taken seriously or who deserve a modicum of empathy.

The long term damage done to the human body caused by morbid obesity rivals the bodily damage caused by recreational drug use and too much vodka.

Socially, people who eat to self destruct at least have the courtesy not to rob, scam and physically assault the rest of us to get their hands on what they're compelled to fill their bodies with.

I'll take a food "addict" any day over that lot.

There are 4 different 12 Step groups for food addicts in existence that I'm aware of, and they are all thriving and saving peoples' lives every day.

Food Addicts Anonymous

Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous

Overeaters Anonymous

Greysheeters Anonymous

If support is your biggest requirement right now, I suggest you look up one of these groups in your area. Now that you've gotten a taste of MFP.

And, of course, enablers don't help, although the real tragedy is that they think they do.

Whatever.

Tell that to the millions of obese and morbidly obese who have been helped to return to normal weight and maintain normal weight by face-to-face 12 Step Food Fellowship meetings, like the ones I listed.

You'd have to do that in person though.

And it might be a tad more inconvenient then smearing your smug *kitten* online.

Have you ever been to one of those meetings? I have, and I don't think they are what you think they are.

I had to attend a meeting for a mental health class in college. The cocaine addicts anonymous meeting was less than helpful, so I went to OEA. It was like a pro-ana forum in person. The most unhealthy behaviors were lauded and encouraged. No one had a healthy relationship with food and the people who were the least healthy were held up as examples. The obsessive thought processes were there in full force. One woman was going to have to to go a family members birthday party, which lead to a 30 minute conversation about how to avoid cake. Get on a pro-ana site, you'll find the same thing. Several of them would not eat solid food and had a lot of "never" foods, which are characteristic of restrictive eating disorders.

In short, I am very skeptical that these groups do anything to help the mental health and wellbeing of their members.
  • sallyvegansmiths
    sallyvegansmiths Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How about adding natural raw cacao to smoothies? You only need a tiny bit and it does give a kick which is much nicer than sugar I find. I add bananas, soy milk and cacao to smoothies with a leaf of fresh mint and its like after eights ;) The other option is to blend coconut oil, dates and cacao into a mush then roll them up into little balls and refrigerate. No sugar but perfect chocolately treats which are little powerballs :#
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Guys if you wnat to go down the addicted to sugar route then why not join one of the groups or establish your own? Its a controversial subject, which many people are not convinced by and you wont change their views, just like they wont change yours.

Id have thought the priority would have been to find ways to effectively lose weight.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Guys if you wnat to go down the addicted to sugar route then why not join one of the groups or establish your own? Its a controversial subject, which many people are not convinced by and you wont change their views, just like they wont change yours.

Id have thought the priority would have been to find ways to effectively lose weight.[/quote

Lovely of you to suggest the group thing though. I think it's a veiled way of saying "Don't Talk About This Here Because Your Priorities Are Wrong. You Should Be Talking About Effective Ways To Lose Weight"

No, it's a suggestion that you might get more support for your view in a group with like-minded people, where on the main forums you'll have to spend your time arguing when you could be exercising.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    No, it's a suggestion that you might get more support for your view in a group with like-minded people, where on the main forums you'll have to spend your time arguing when you could be exercising.

Shouldn't you be exercising now? Waste no more time. Run along.

Not sure where the hostility came from, but um... I'm not wrong. You'll never agree with everyone on the main forums.