Tips to Avoid Late Night Snacking

Options
Hello,

I have a pattern which is this: do great all day (stay in my calorie goal and exercise) and then it all goes wrong around 7:30 or 8PM. I snack a little bit here and there (a few hershey's kisses, a handful of goldfish crackers, a piece of cheese) and suddenly I'm 2-300 calories over my goal and feeling terrible about the whole thing. Any advice on how to avoid the after dinner snacking habit?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Honestly only thing that helped in the beginning was going to bed early. I might not sleep ( read watch a show etc) but I was away from the darn kitchen! Or went outside for a walk... now after two months my self control is better but still have my moments
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Prelog you dessert my friend. Every day I prelog I start with breakfast, then go to dessert, then log dinner, then lunch. Extra calories go to snacks or...more dessert.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you know you like eating at night, plan more food at night? I eat less early in the day because I know I like to eat at night....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Also, I just finished my popcorn that I had logged. Pretty much right after I finished I made a cup of my favorite tea (this is not just middle of the road tea, I am absolutely in love with it). Officially done for the night! The tea fills you up and prolongs the experience ha.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was having some hunger at night right before bed, which is 8pm for me. (up at 430am) and I had to add some extra meat in my dinners. It worked. I now go to bed with no hunger at all
    and we eat around five pm every night because we have livestock and barn chores at sixpm and then im done in, lol.
  • sarahmbm
    sarahmbm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    These are all very helpful suggestions. Thank you. I've considered going to bed earlier and adding more protein. I often feel hungry an hour or two after dinner, and I may not be getting enough protein to make me feel full. Tea is a great idea, too. I went way over my calories AGAIN after dinner, but tomorrow's a new day. Right?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you know you like eating at night, plan more food at night? I eat less early in the day because I know I like to eat at night....
    This. Much easier to save a lot of your calories for the times when you tend to want to eat more than it is to fight against it.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was to not keep that kind of stuff in the house. Can't snack on it if it isn't there!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a night time eater, but I am rarely hungry earlier in the day. I have always been like that. So since I've been on MFP, I save most of my calories for the evening. I usually don't start eating until around noon. Sometimes I will have a small snack in the morning if I am hungry. Then I eat a small meal at noon time, another around 5 or 6 p.m., and supper around 9 or 10. Supper makes up the majority of my calories...usually around 800 to 900. I know this way of eating isn't for everyone, but it works for me. And it completely eliminated my need to snack in the evening. I've been doing this since last August and have lost over 80 pounds.