Does anyone ride their bike to work?

2»

Replies

• sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    when i first stared using mfp a few years ago, i was doing mostly home workouts and calisthenics and losing weight at a decent rate. then i got a job 10 miles away, and when i started biking to work, the weight dropped like crazy. i lost like 30 pounds in 3 months, and eating back most of my exercise calories.

i hadn't ridden a bike in years before i started commuting, but it didn't take long to get into the routine.

i think you mentioned that you haven't got a bike yet.. get a light one! i started biking to work on a beach cruiser, because that's what i had. but i was doing way more work than i had to. which did not necessarily result in more calories burned. once i invested in a lighter bike meant for commuting, i burned more efficiently.
    A little off topic... But I always wonder about office workers et al who cycle to work. Aren't you all sweaty, gross and disheveled by the time you get to work?

yes! complete with helmet head. i didn't care though, i worked in an office setting, but as a warehouse supervisor, so my desk was located in the warehouse, where all the sweaty, gross, and disheveled were kept.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,502 Member
    For many years, when I lived in Winnipeg (Canada), I cycled to work. 13.6 km round trip.

Then I moved to another province, and work was 35 km away (70 km round trip). I did that anywhere from 1-3 days a week during the summer.

Next up, I lived in town in rural Australia where I could walk to work ... 1.6 km round trip. And I walked home at lunch too.

Now ... I'd like to cycle to work ... but it is a little over 30 km round trip and there's something of a mountain range I'd have to cycle over each way. I am not a climber, so my commute would take me forever.

However, my husband and I are talking about doing the ride sometimes on weekends to see how I go.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,502 Member
    A little off topic... But I always wonder about office workers et al who cycle to work. Aren't you all sweaty, gross and disheveled by the time you get to work?

Nope. :)

• fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    edited April 2015
    [/quote]Personally I use a Brompton folding bike. Comfortable for about a 20 mile ride. [/quote]

Brompton is a high quality bike. Less expensive and still good is a Dahon folder. Folding a bike to store is good if space is an issue, otherwise a full size comfort (Look at Electra Bikes for cool looking, easy pedaling, reasonably priced bikes) bike that you can add a basket or a rack and bags to for hauling is better. You will want to ride further very soon. Check to see if your bus can accommodate bikes. Confirm you are able to lift the bike you want and put it where ever it needs to go. A good rear flasher and a mirror for your bike (or glasses or helmet) to see traffic will be excellent safety additions.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    I so wish I could ride my bike to work. It's 20 miles each way with a highway in between. There's not really a good way to get there on a bike.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,896 Member

I used to live in Amsterdam, where everyone commutes by bike to work, wearing a suit. They just go at a leisurely pace not to work up a sweat in a suit. In London, where I live now, people bike to work in exercise gear, kamikazi style, and need to shower and change afterwards.