Fitbit. Cost vs Effect

Options

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have the "One" - I like it - it has helped me both keep track of calorie burn and motivated me to move more - from about 2500 steps (which for me is a little over a mile) to 10-15000. I track all physical exercise through the fitbit site and sync it to MFP where I track all the calories in. I never bothered with sleep tracking, either. I got the fitbit model that you wear on your wrist as a present last month but I prefer the "One" because it doesn't show and I discovered that I really don't like wearing wristbands at all.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've had the fitbit One for over two years and I love it. I have easily been able to gain/lose/maintain weight eating over/under/at the number of calories it calculates. It really shows the difference between an active and inactive day, when they don't really "feel" that much different most of the time. (Because the vast majority of those calories has nothing to do with workouts. The key to raising your TDEE is not just doing a bunch of cardio.)
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex. I didn't realize how inactive I was. Now I am motivated to at least get up and get steps in. I am not currently eating back any extra calories given but I'm not doing much. I like the silent alarm feature and it is interesting to see how I'm sleeping. I felt like I didn't sleep well but even though I stir a lot, it doesn't look as bad as I thought.

Flex doesn't have the heart rate monitor. If you are younger and very active, you may not need the motivation like me. If it is much of a financial hardship for you, it may not really be worth it to purchase, especially a more expensive one. From what I hear, they don't really do much more with estimating calories better than the MFP estimates.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip and love it. Sometimes it can be easy to over or underestimate the calories you burn in your daily activities so it gives you a really good idea. Plus it's fun to compete in the challenges with friends.

I used the charge HR for three days and sent it back. I had to wear it super high up to get an accurate heart rate, I didn't find the floor count to be accurate, and I wasn't sure what to do with the information about sleep. I've been using my Zip for over two years, it didn't cost that much money, and it keeps me honest about how much activity I'm getting.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Also with the Zip I don't have to worry about the "not tracking while pushing a grocery cart" thing. And I don't like wearing something like that on my wrist.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Can someone with a Zip tell me what bells and whistles it does not have? I have an Ultra. I thought the Zip does everything that mine does?

I love my Fitbit. It keeps me motivated to get in a certain number of steps. Days when I don't think about my Fitbit I really do not get in as many steps so I try to look at it throughout the day and be conscious of how many steps I am getting in. It really works for me! I think if you are unsure of spending the money on a more expensive one, I would get a Zip for half the price (Amazon was the cheapest).

I went from an Ultra to a Zip. The Zip doesn't track your sleep, floors, or specific exercise (there's no button to push to start/stop tracking an activity). You also have to keep it supplied in batteries (mine eats through batteries every 2 months; that's when I get the email/notification "battery is low".) It also gives a more "generous" burn count than the Ultra and One, well mine does. It tells me I'm burning 3000 calories a day as my TDEE when I'm barely losing eating 1840 calories. If you're thinking of upgrading, I'd get the One which is a better version of the Ultra.

For me, getting a Fitbit helped me keep active. I want to hit my step and mileage goals.

• zyxst wrote: »
    Can someone with a Zip tell me what bells and whistles it does not have? I have an Ultra. I thought the Zip does everything that mine does?

I love my Fitbit. It keeps me motivated to get in a certain number of steps. Days when I don't think about my Fitbit I really do not get in as many steps so I try to look at it throughout the day and be conscious of how many steps I am getting in. It really works for me! I think if you are unsure of spending the money on a more expensive one, I would get a Zip for half the price (Amazon was the cheapest).

I went from an Ultra to a Zip. The Zip doesn't track your sleep, floors, or specific exercise (there's no button to push to start/stop tracking an activity). You also have to keep it supplied in batteries (mine eats through batteries every 2 months; that's when I get the email/notification "battery is low".) It also gives a more "generous" burn count than the Ultra and One, well mine does. It tells me I'm burning 3000 calories a day as my TDEE when I'm barely losing eating 1840 calories. If you're thinking of upgrading, I'd get the One which is a better version of the Ultra.

For me, getting a Fitbit helped me keep active. I want to hit my step and mileage goals.

The Zip sounds like a good option. Does anyone else's act a little generous with the calories count?
  • fifimcd
    fifimcd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I have the Charge HR as I'd received a small bonus from work. Since wearing it and syncing with MFP I've lost 11lb that has been hanging around for a year or more. I thought I was fairly active but having this has made me realise how often I'm actually sedentary. It's meant I've started walking to the station for my daily commute rather than driving, and I'll always take the stairs at work now.

For me it has been worth every penny of the cost, but I understand for others it might seem like a fad. Horses for courses.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All i want to know is how many steps, kms and calories i burn everyday. I don't need a sleep monitor because i already know my sleep is crap, i don't need a stair counter as i don't walk up or down any steps, I dont like the thought of having to wear a bracelet all the time and i don't need a heart rate monitor because the only exercise i do is walking.

Based on all of the above, is why i chose the Zip. It fits my needs perfectly :smile:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    All i want to know is how many steps, kms and calories i burn everyday. I don't need a sleep monitor because i already know my sleep is crap, i don't need a stair counter as i don't walk up or down any steps, I dont like the thought of having to wear a bracelet all the time and i don't need a heart rate monitor because the only exercise i do is walking.

Based on all of the above, is why i chose the Zip. It fits my needs perfectly :smile:

Yes. I also have a Zip and it works well for me. Being able to wear it under clothes is a big plus.

It has helped me to increase my casual activity, and that is making a difference with weight loss. I pretty much always get an intense workout for an hour a day, but before the FitBit, I wasn't moving enough the rest of the time. It also helps me to monitor when I am overdoing things.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

Yes. I also have a Zip and it works well for me. Being able to wear it under clothes is a big plus.

It has helped me to increase my casual activity, and that is making a difference with weight loss. I pretty much always get an intense workout for an hour a day, but before the FitBit, I wasn't moving enough the rest of the time. It also helps me to monitor when I am overdoing things.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

• goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I consider my Fitbit to be my accountability parter, so to speak. I expect to get in at least 11,000 steps a day, and I will pace back in forth for an hour to get it. Once I hit the 11,000 easily every day I will kick it up to 12,000. I will never be without one again.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Buying a fitbit was the best thing i could have done. I was averaging 2000ish steps a day before i got it, now i'm averaging around 20,000 a day. All in the space of a few weeks.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've never had one but am considering saving up for one. So, anyone who's got or had one, how much difference did it make?

I do not have a fitbit. I have a Misfit. I like the way it looks (like a really funky watch). I did a fair bit of research before replacing my accelerometer with a new gadget. I am glad I did. The misfit is comfortable to wear, does not require recharging, is water proof and is very accurate. I also like the fact that after buying the gold watch band it does not scream exercise thingy. Another thing I like about it is that (and this sounds a little superficial) it gives me a pretty light show when I have achieved my goal of 15000 steps. My husband has fitbit and it isn't as accurate as my misfit. When you read about it you will find most of the complaints center around people losing them. Easy solved, don't do the band up too tight and use the magnet provided to loop onto the band. Any way that's my two cents worth.

• joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit and it has definitely helped me. I was previously walking and assuming I did a lot more than I actually did! Now I'm walking at least 7.5k steps a day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Started with a flex loved it
    Downgraded to a zip so I could wear bracelets loved it more

Started wearing one a couple of months into my weight loss...still wear my zip in maintenance

I credit the pedometer synching to MFP with a lot of my success, although primarily diet and lifting ..I certainly get 350-450 extra calories over sedentary from it

I use a polar HRM during workouts and cannot buy into the whole HRM wearable a 24 hours, nobody has managed to convince me that they aren't a waste of money (unless you need to monitor your HR due to a heart condition)

So my answer is God Yes to the basic pedometer and nope to the expensive HR versions
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The polar loop is supposed to count for if you have to use a stroller. It does not have a altimeter for stairs tho. It can be worn swimming to 20. It is waterproof and can be used while cycling. It is the only band that can hook up to a chest strap hr monitor which is the most accurate hrm. Tho both are bought separately. This is what I want. I initially wanted the fitbit zip but have heard many bad reviews so if im spending that much 20 more for a loop might be worth it.

I have a Loop and it counts steps if I am pushing a shopping cart, but it also registered over 2K in steps when I was on my knees scrubbing the grout on the bathroom floor yesterday lol. That was the first time I have noticed any drastic discrepancies in the step counts.

For everything else it is fairly accurate. It helps keep me moving as I see it flash and know its time I need to get up and move around to avoid getting the dreaded inactivity stamp. I use the HRM when I am out with my dogs or on the treadmill as I have to watch my HR closely per DR orders until I have another stress test done.

The Loop website is not as interactive as the Fitbit site from what I have seen but I dont really use that part of all that often.

OP it all depends on what you want out of it. For me it was totally worth the investment to get an activy tracker as MFP comes close but its based on averages not your actual caloric needs. I thought I was fairly active outside of work, I have a desk job where I would normally sit for 8 hrs a day, the Loop proved me wrong. I was a couch potato the majority of the day & night, I have now done almost a complete turn around activity wise.

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My husband surprised me with the Garmin Vivofit. I love it. It really helps keep me motivated and moving.
  • solivera87
    solivera87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Before you go out and buy it. Download the app. When i was on my search thats what i did. And i ended buying Jawbone (still available at Groupon for $49) because i liked their app better. It was faster and had more things to offer, like you can but between the hours of 4-5pm i did cycling. It records the right amount of calories you burned during that time. And it still gets paired w MFP. Also i know to some it might not matter, but i liked the look of it aswell. Its sleek. Another thing, i used to have the Sketchers go walk (horrible) and it was so hard for me to synk w my phone. Jawbone you plug it in to your phone and takes 3 seconds to load. Its all up what you are looking for, a pedometer or a all in one? I recommend Jawbone.