does the kind of workout you do affect how your body turns o

Options
Hi i'm new here and to the whole exercise and diet thing so this is probably a really stupid question. Does the kind of exercise you chose to do make the end result of your body go more one way or the other eg more tone or just slimmer. I use my treadmill at the moment and might start swimming because it's something i used to enjoy when i was younger. my goal is to lose 20kg and tone up without becoming overly muscly. have i chosen the right exercises?

Replies

• spirited_angel
    Options
    Yes hun it does!!I do a lot of body pump and boxersize and ya can tell with how my shoulders and rams have become more muscely and defined even tho i have bad bingo wings!!Treadmill and swimming is great maybe you could throw in some core work or pilates to help tone and balance without becoming muscely???
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yes to a degree. Different exercises work different muscle groups (swimming will use your arms more than the treadmill will). The "not too big of muscles" thing seems to be a concern for a lot of women, but unless you're doing roids or trying to become a bodybuilder, you're not going to be looking like a bodybuilder, so don't be afraid of strength training.
  • nlucero
    nlucero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I find when I hit the weights prior to any aerobic exercise I seem to burn more at rest. Just a personal observation. Oh and I love Zumba. So far, I've lost a little over 26 lbs. since Jan 24.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Swimming is great, because it will provide some endurance. However don't be afraid of doing weights. The more muscle you have the more you lose while just lying around. You can strength train, if you don't want size you should be doing 12 or more repetitions with about 2-3 sets. This is muscular endurance and will provide lean muscle and you won't bulk up. Again, swimming is also good because it does provide resistance, but try adding on some strength training. Best weight loss tool a person can have!
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I found that yoga changed the way my body looked. I really didn't lose that much weight doing it, but it seems to have really toned me up. My shoulders got broader, I stood "straighter". It even changed the way I sit. So I guess you can say it changed the way I hold myself.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Also, when you do cardio it takes away from muscle. I am sure I am not explaining this right, but you won't build. Like someone said-usually girls don't get big unless you are doing some sort of enhancer or really doing smaller reps with heavier weight.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, it totally does.

I've dropped over 26 lbs so far just walking and doing low impact aerobics. Now I need to start adding some toning exercises, though, because although my legs are stronger and I have more endurance than I did, my tummy and other problem areas are not very much more toned than when I started. So I'm just slimmer, not noticeably more muscular at ALL.

Edit: I forgot to mention, though, that I am now off of my blood pressure medication, so now I CAN do more aggressive workouts without feeling like I may pass out.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    Hi there...I find when I hit the weights prior to any aerobic exercise I seem to burn more at rest. Just a personal observation. Oh and I love Zumba. So far, I've lost a little over 26 lbs. since Jan 24.
    Weight training and body pump carrys on burning upto 48hrs after workouts!!!And its true unless ya lift really heavey ect its a myth that a woman will become extremly muscely or so all my intructors says!!lol
  • alwaystaken
    Options
    wow thanks for all your replies. looks like i need to work in some strength training. any advice on how i can do that from home without having to join a gym or a class. and how do i balance my cardio and strength workouts. should i do one more than the other or just alternate days or both on the same day?