binge eating

Options
I am struggling with binge eating and I will be very thankfull for pepole wohe have the same thing to thalk with me and support me. You see i don't think that my friends would understand and if yes I worry they think that I am a looser.. You cant tell I have this problem but I struggle with this every day.
Please someone i really need help.

Replies

• TaraM430
    TaraM430 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with binge eating. I am an emotional eater so I like to eat when I am stressed, sad, tired, mad, you name it. I was doing good yesterday until the very end of the day when I binged on some Easter candy. When I binge, I eat so quick, it's like I don't even really taste it and I always do it when I'm alone. There are times when I have it under control and times, like now, when I don't. Every day is a struggle, some days are easier than others. I try and journal a lot to get my feelings out, sometimes it helps. I wish I had a magic solution for both of us but everyone's triggers are different.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and has different triggers and all of the advice and comments you'll read about it are the same. There is this crazy notion floating around out there and it's very simple. Give yourself permission to binge. By doing this, you're removing the taboo and the dread associated with an anticipated binge and you're also taking control of the binge. Tell yourself: "I give myself permission to binge in five minutes from now..." and wait out the five minutes. Then give yourself permission again and set another dead line. If you do end up binging, instead of feeling guilty take ownership and get mad. After all, you gave yourself permission so there's no guilt associated here, just anger that you "did it again". Use that feeling of anger to fuel your fire and will power the next time you feel a binge coming on.
  • mllemuguet
    mllemuguet Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree with giving yourself permission.
    Also, if you can, try to acknowledge your emotions. For example, I'm stressed right now and I want chocolate. Sometimes just accepting that you're stressed or whatever other emotion will help you get over the binge. Also, drink plenty of water and tea. Be the kindest that you can be to yourself and don't feel ashamed. The kinder you are, the less likely you'll want to hurt yourself by overeating. If you feel like crying, cry. It's okay and completely normal.

On the topic of kindness, writing a gratitude journal or praying really helps me in bad times. Also, try to list other things that make you feel better about yourself. For me, it's taking a bath, doing my nails, or some other kind of pampering session. Usually when I binge, it's because I want to feel nurtured. Nurture yourself in other ways and be creative. If that includes chocolate, then so be it. But don't feel ashamed of yourself needing that love, it's honestly normal.

Also, just because your friends don't binge, it doesn't mean that they also don't struggle with some kind of emotional response to stress or emotions. I have friends who are shopaholics. I have friends who drink too much, do drugs, or sleep around. Everyone has their own way of coping. So don't worry too much and accept that it's okay and normal to want to deal with emotions with things that make you feel good. Just try to replace food by positive self love like a spa night, a movie night, or a really nice healthy meal (without controlling portions).

Good luck, and hugs!
  • uppanddown
    uppanddown Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You know when you wan to tell you friends about your problems but at the end don't tell them because I fell they cant help me and do not have time for me... My family too is the opposite of what y eat. I try to eat healthy and they dont. my brothers don't need a diet because they can eat what the want and not gain weight. I am not complaining but sometimes its hard to be all alone with this. I am vegitarien too and they ain't supporting me wite that to, the contrary, they tell me mean thing about it and try to make me eat meat.
    I really feill alone with this.
  • tlhead245
    tlhead245 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have the same problem. I eat to few calories during the day and binge all night.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I have the standard binge-eating issue, but I do get what i call 'snacky', when I'm not hungry but I eat anyway out of stress or boredom. It's like my mouth NEEDS TO CHEW or i get really frustrated. If you are an emotional eater, you never know when something will happen to trigger the impulse, but if the urges are regular here's a trick that works for me:
    Keep a big bowl of something healthy prepped in the fridge: baby carrots, cut melon, berries. In the summer I freeze Greek yogurt and mashed fruit to make creamy popsicles. If I want something salty I have bags of plain popcorn on standby (salt/season yourself). I have my SO hide (yes, literally hide) the tempting things so I can't find them if I find myself in a vulnerable state of mind.
    Removing the bad things from reach and subbing in healthy stuff keeps me from eating too much of a good thing. Also, the less you eat the 'addictive' foods: salt, sugar (including ALL sugar substitutes), fat, the less you crave it.
    I've also heard that meditating helps?
  • smapl001
    smapl001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Would anyone like to be binge buddies? Any time an urge comes on you could message a binge buddy for help. If not before the binge, a binge buddy could help you recover.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Do you have any stress issues or depression or anything similar?
  • loveliftlaughxo
    loveliftlaughxo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up the book Brain Over Binge. I highly suggest it. I have been struggling with a B.E.D for 2 years and so many things finally clicked for me after reading this book.
  • newen
    newen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am great Mon to Thurs then boom crisps and chocolate are everywhere. It that hole reward thing for doing good all week. Last few days been horrendous. As weekend has fallen on point on my cycle (sorry boys if this) where I could eat my body weight in anything. May have look on amazon for brain over binge.
    If urge comes to binge how about go out for a walk? I notice I don't binge on gym days so perhaps excersise helps.
  • uppanddown
    Options
    I do have also depression and stress...
  • aisling742
    aisling742 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    smapl001 wrote: »
    Would anyone like to be binge buddies? Any time an urge comes on you could message a binge buddy for help. If not before the binge, a binge buddy could help you recover.
    I would like to do this if that's OK. Anyone else who would like to be binge buddies feel free to add me.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    uppanddown wrote: »
    I do have also depression and stress...

Are you able to speak to your doctor and seek help in other ways especially if you suffering from depression as well.

For myself I found seeing a psychologist helpful. Helped me with many things including depression and eating issues.
    Not saying it still doesn't happen these says but they are now extremely less often.

Something that has helped me is that I have shifted my main focus away from food. I still meal prep, count calories and log food, these things are just a normal part of my life now. My main focus is around my exercise. I train early in the morning, which means I'm at the gym by 5:30am. If I am To binge the night before I'm not going to be able to train. Now my exercise is way more important and the thought of not being able to do this stops me from binging at night. This isn't something that has happened over night or in a day. It's been a long process but I'm determined to continue with it. Three yrs ago I couldn't walk 300meters without being exhausted, in two weeks I will be completing my 2nd half marathon.

Hope this helps.
  • uppanddown
    Options
    Waooo,bravo, very inspiring indeed. Thank you only one question -with what exercise you began and what Exercise you do now?
  • StaceyWhatsit
    StaceyWhatsit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried undereating all week so I could binge on Sundays, one week I was 20,000 kilojoules under my target kjs but that week I only ate my normal kjs allowance on the Sunday because I didn't want to ruin what I'd achieved but I only lost 1kg that week. All that hard work exercising for nothing. The week before that, I ate a few hundred kilojoules less per day, had a few extra treats on the Sunday (Pork roast and some low carb cheesecake, icecream and 2 chocolate bars) and on the monday I'd 3kg so I'm sticking to that plan from now on.

Moral of the story, extreme under eating is detrimental to weight loss.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    uppanddown wrote: »
    Waooo,bravo, very inspiring indeed. Thank you only one question -with what exercise you began and what Exercise you do now?

I started with simply walking. I also then joined a gym and had a personal trainer show me what to do.
    I've tried different things such as Zumba and boxing. Hated Zumba loved boxing.
    I got into running because someone said to me as I joke that I couldn't do it.
    I started simply by walking a little then running a little and continued with this until I was only running. I wouldn't say I'm any good at it but it's what I love to do. Currently I do a mix of strength/weight training and running. I also love hiking but unfortunately don't get to do this very often.
    The key is finding what you love to do. I'm a true believer that any exercise is better than no exercise.

The other thing that has helped me is learning my triggers that make me binge eat. This is different for everyone.
    For me these days it's as simple as sitting in front of the TV at night once everyone has gone to bed. I would use the excuse that this was "my time". I now would rather miss the TV and go to bed and read than risk the temptation. Seems easy, if only, but persistence and lots of knots in my stomach you can get through it.

Lastly I've also learnt not to feel guilty about having treats and enjoying food. I don't deprive myself because that's only going to make things worse. But if I do go overboard than tomorrow is a new day.

• runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There's underlying causes to our binge eating. Think of it as a game of trying to figure out what triggers you and work on fixing it. If it's too overwhelming, try talking to someone. I don't have all the answers but I've found ways to level myself out. It's tricks that work for me. They don't always work, but sometimes they do.
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do something similar - keep salads, carrots, berries etc in fridge for easy grab and go, so that when I have a binge and need to eat A LOT and to eat it RIGHT NOW the easiest thing to get is something that won't make me feel worse after I've eaten than I did before.

Next step is to stop binging. I've noticed in last few months that I binge less frequently now that the binge is on carrots and not ice cream or crackers. And that's without trying much.

kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    I can't say that I have the standard binge-eating issue, but I do get what i call 'snacky', when I'm not hungry but I eat anyway out of stress or boredom. It's like my mouth NEEDS TO CHEW or i get really frustrated. If you are an emotional eater, you never know when something will happen to trigger the impulse, but if the urges are regular here's a trick that works for me:
    Keep a big bowl of something healthy prepped in the fridge: baby carrots, cut melon, berries. In the summer I freeze Greek yogurt and mashed fruit to make creamy popsicles. If I want something salty I have bags of plain popcorn on standby (salt/season yourself). I have my SO hide (yes, literally hide) the tempting things so I can't find them if I find myself in a vulnerable state of mind.
    Removing the bad things from reach and subbing in healthy stuff keeps me from eating too much of a good thing. Also, the less you eat the 'addictive' foods: salt, sugar (including ALL sugar substitutes), fat, the less you crave it.
    I've also heard that meditating helps?

• qkdbswltn
    Options
    I also binge really badly. It got particularly bad over this semester, especially after I got sick (weird cold/fatigue that lasted for over two months. I'm trying to build my strength and self-esteem back up, but I keep binging on sweets. The added sugar really weighs me down, I didn't know before now that digesting sugar takes a huge toll.

I think it's a great idea to have a binge buddy. Please add me as well, if you're interested.