Running App users your opinions please

I am trying to find the most accurate running App between the three mentioned below, I am getting significant differences in distance covered in the three that I am trying out. So I would like your opinion on how accurate you find these running apps if you use them.

I am using:
Endomondo which gave a distance of 4.68 miles
Nike + which gave a distance of 4.30 miles
Run Keeper which gave a distance of 4.40 miles

I know there is not much in it but when you want to improve your 5K time it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• momma2ZKL
    momma2ZKL Posts: 47 Member
    I use Nike+ when I run. I tried MapMyRun and it said I ran farther than Nike says. I use the Adidas app when I walk because I can put it in the cup holder of the stroller and it won't pause on me and it comes out the exact same as Nike+. I don't have any experience with Endomondo or Run Keeper.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    What type of phone are you using?

Most likely it's the limitations of the device, and using multiple apps in parallel, rather than apps themselves.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I use Nike+ as well.
  • Ouzo2012
    Ouzo2012 Posts: 2 Member
    I used Map My fitness and it was always higher than Nike +. I have went back to my area with my car to verify mileage too. It does matter what system your phone uses. My android doesn't do as well as my i-pod touch. Also you can set how you are using your device, either on 1 of your arms or handheld. I find that makes a big difference too. But pick one and always use that to judge distance and time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    What type of phone are you using?

Most likely it's the limitations of the device, and using multiple apps in parallel, rather than apps themselves.

This. Phones will be less accurate than a dedicated GPS like a Garmin, but even dedicated GPS have their accepted degree of error.

If possible you could measure the route with your car (which also may not be accurate). Or go to a running track.
    Even 5k race routes may be off unless it is a certified course.

Regardless of what the app is giving you, if you are running the same course and your time is improving, you are still improving.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Since all were on the same phone, the inherent hardware flaws are constant here. Every app averages out the GPS data it receives a little differently. Take a close look at the three maps. Are any of corners cut on the maps? Are there points bouncing on and off the road you're running along? Those small errors, compounded hundreds of times lead to quarter mile differences in distance.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Forget about GPS accuracy. It just isn't that important. Even high end GPS fitness watches like Garmin will give you varying results (I have one).

I have an Android phone, Google Nexus 5, and I found Strava (free version) provided me great battery life and useful stats.

I've logged 800km since starring running again last fall, and dropped 20kg. Having it all logged in one place is great... Powerful motivator to set consistency in my weekly workouts and steady growth in intensity.

I only recently added the Garmin to my arm because I'm setting my training goal really high for 8 to 12 months out.

I also found that running with a phone in my SPI Belt that sweat is a real problem. One replaced screen later for $125... Lesson learned. I love the SPI belt, so light and invisible under my shirt... So i seal my phone in a zip lock bag at the start. The Garmin is waterproof so no worries there.

Don't worry about GPS variation... Use your phone with whatever app you like, protect it, and get out there and have fun!
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Yes I used all three at once to see which one I liked best. Using it on an android. Think I'll stick with endodomondo I like the stats it gives. Thanks for replies folks
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I meant hardware rather than software, as it depends on the antenna and the number of available channels. Normally four channels on a phone, up to twelve on a dedicated watch.

For most users Endomondo is about the best bet. Strava is a better platform, but much more about the competition.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Reminder there's an Endomondo users group on MFP here, and an MFP users group on Endomondo here.

I use Endomondo as well as a Garmin watch. They're nearly always completely in sync, the variance might be 100 metres or so on a 20km run.

The only distance variances I commonly see are in actual events, usually the event distance is about 1-1.5% shorter than Endo or Garmin measure, however events usually use a different method of measurement (non-GPS) to measure distance. Which is no major issues, it's good to know you'll be slightly faster round the course than in training.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 97 Member
    I read some articles about GPS running apps a few days ago and they basically all say to take the GPS with a grain of salt.

That said, I use Endomondo pro and I love it.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    ok just upgraded to Endo Premium I just love stats and data its great :)