Core training with hip injury

Options
I have a long term hip injury that limits some of my exercise options. My cardio is covered, but I feel like some core training would help stabilize the joint some more. My orthopedist told me to avoid yoga because of the type of injury, and he recommended Pilates. I tried a mat class and really struggled after a few weeks because of hip pain. Is there another option out there? (4 years ago I was told that I will likely need a replacement in 5-10 years, but with 2 toddlers I am working hard to avoid surgery for another 2 years). Thank you!

Replies

• clbstevenson
    clbstevenson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Btw....it was all of those dang leg windmills during Pilates that aggravated the hip. All of the upper body work was fine. I just struggled with the broad rotation exercises in the legs.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Rkc planks and other plank variations. also ask him for ideas tho he thought plates was a good idea so...
  • clbstevenson
    Options
    Thanks. I have been able to do the planks with the ball under your knees and you retract your knees. (Like a reverse sit up?) I will look for other variations. Any other ideas? I struggle with unsupported leg rotation. Other things are fine.
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what kind of cardio you are doing? I have a chronic hip problem too and am finding the cardio part tough.
    For core I plug in a pilates video and do the moves that don't aggravate it. I know that is not helpful... sorry.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It might help to see a physiotherapist to get a customized program. Can you do Romanian deadlifts and split squats, with no weights?
  • clbstevenson
    Options
    For cardio...I am doing 15 minutes of warm up on a recumberant bike and 20 minutes of interval training on the elliptical (as per my physical therapist post-surgery). They also recommend swimming, but my labral tear makes rotation pretty uncomfortable.
  • lepr0kan
    lepr0kan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I second the planks recommendation. I too have suffered from hip issues (also a labral tear) which required arthroscopic surgery a few years back. Before I was even able to walk without crutches after the surgery my PT had be doing planks to strengthen my core. Also, any free weight arm exercises I did, the PT had me do on an exercise ball. That forced me to use my core at the same time.

I have the same problem with swimming, basically anything with a frog type kick is off limits. I found that some strokes were ok, I pretty much had to stick with free style or back stroke. Anytime I veered from those I'd usually regret my decision the next few days.

Also, check back with your PT, they should be able to give you lots of exercises to help. I know it's not a directly hip-related question, but they should be encouraging you to strengthen your whole body, that will to stabilize and take some of the stress off the hip.
  • clbstevenson
    Options
    I also had arthroscopic surgery in 2011 and 2 pregnancies in 3 years following the surgery, lol! That cartilage didn't have a chance! And PT didn't want to touch me most of that time because I was either preggers or recovering from the physical pressure of pregnancy/c-section. Guess it is time to go back. Thanks for the feedback.

Folks look at me like I am nuts when I tell them that I am 40 and will likely need a hip replacement soon (especially when I am carrying my little ones). For ANYONE who has hip issues. See your doc and get some Meloxicam. As an anti-inflamitory, it makes a huge difference. It isn't a pain killer. it only helps to keep the arthritis from progressing as quickly and just keeps everything moving a little better.