Ok these wrist HR monitors that you wear all day

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
Am I the only one who fails to see the point unless you have a heart condition and need to track your heart rate

I wear a fitbit zip each day to track my activity level and a Polar FT4 during workouts to map my burn in steady-state cardio

But I don't see how the formula underpinning a 24 hour wear device can map TDEE which is what I assume most weight loss people want it to confirm...apart from as a vague indicator that you map against your actual weight over a couple of months, how is it useful beyond the cheaper more basic versions

I might be wrong

And I do love toys ...so I suppose I just want to know if there's any convincing evidence out there

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    More frequent bouts of 10+ minutes of activity will be more consistently captured by the activity tracker that does not require a button press or other preparation for use.

It is only a little bit more useful than the cheaper versions. The graphs are pretier when your HR doesn't flat line or dip to zero or is just plain wrong.

You assume that HR forms a larger part of the monitor's equation than the case may be.

My observation (and the formulas are not public so it is based on a sample of one) is that Fitbit values frequency of step count highest, followed by speed and absolute value of altimeter change, only then followed by heart rate data.

Let me know when you find a responsive and accurate during both daily activity and exercise, battery miser and quick charging, waterproof and capable of in water hr measuring, gps and step based, all day continuous hr counter without a strap, and with a good app, web and support package, for under $150.... and I will give you $150 for one!
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think measuring your resting heart rate over some period of time (and fitness regimen) is interesting. I don't use it for calorie burns.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Although, even the fitbit it somewhat useless to me because my daily routine is roughly the same. And all TDEE calculators were within 25-40 calories of what my fitbit reads anyway. I was happy to have it confirmed, but after a week i was like WELP, i don't need this anymore.

I DO use a HRM when working out just because i set a calorie goal to hit before i'm done. :)

In any case, i see no reason to purchase one of these unless you're having some sort of problem and need it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    More frequent bouts of 10+ minutes of activity will be more consistently captured by the activity tracker that does not require a button press or other preparation for use.

It is only a little bit more useful than the cheaper versions. The graphs are pretier when your HR doesn't flat line or dip to zero or is just plain wrong.

You assume that HR forms a larger part of the monitor's equation than the case may be.

My observation (and the formulas are not public so it is based on a sample of one) is that Fitbit values frequency of step count highest, followed by speed and absolute value of altimeter change, only then followed by heart rate data.

Let me know when you find a responsive and accurate during both daily activity and exercise, battery miser and quick charging, waterproof and capable of in water hr measuring, gps and step based, all day continuous hr counter without a strap, and with a good app, web and support package, for under $150.... and I will give you $150 for one!

So it's as accurate as the far cheaper models ...kind of what I thought
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit surge. I don't really use it to track heart rate all day, but I use it for tracking all my exercise and gps for my runs and of course my steps. I got it as a gift so I probably wouldn't have one if i didn't, but I really do like it.

• PAV8888
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So it's as accurate as the far cheaper models ...kind of what I thought

if you already have one wait for the next version before bothering to get another.

If you don't own one... buy based on your budget and gadget affinity without having huge expectation for perfection.

I would still buy the Charge myself today. But not if I already had a One.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed by my Fitbit, but I guess it doesn't have a heart rate monitor. It just doesn't track all exercises properly.

I'm looking at the Jawbone Up3 once I can find reviews... that one seems to do everything, I just wish it was waterproof... but yeah, I wish I could just borrow one for a couple days or something... they are great to give you an idea of what your TDEE is, but once you know, it's not that useful anymore (provided your activity is always pretty much the same).

Of course, you can always track your food properly and see how it affects your weight to deduct your TDEE though.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a Body Media armband (Jawbone has bought them) as my fitness tracker. It's dying (4 years old). I've been wanting to switch to a wrist device that tracks HR so I don't have to wear the chest strap and watch.

However, all the reviews I've read have said the wrist HR monitors are not accurate enough for those who really want to monitor their HR during training.

I use Runtastic to track my runs. I may just buy their chest strap and use it with the app I'm already using (no additional watch). And maybe a wrist fitness tracker. Then I can compare HR when I'm training. We'll see.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I might be wrong

I have a begrudging respect for the heart rate marketing brigade, they've really managed to make something out of nothing.

Here's how FitBit figures out your base burn...

-> 9.99 * weight(Kg) + 6.25*height(Cm) - 4.92*age(years) + s

If that looks familiar, it's because it is - it's the same formula used by a billion websites. Note the complete lack of body composition in the formula - this means it significantly over-estimated BMR for people carrying excess fat, and the more fat they carry, the bigger the over-estimate.

Here's how FitBit gets your NEAT (burn except "intentional exercise) (this is the male version)...

864 - 9.72 x age(years) + 1.0 x (14.2 x weight(kg))

Can you guess where that formula comes from? The FDA! :smiley:

At this point it should be clear that any calculation FitBit makes off of heart rate readings is going to be based on gross population models, and not to be taken at face value.

The biggest problem with the FitBit models is they all shade towards more over-estimation the heavier you are, and the worse your physical conditioning - which is the exact opposite of what they should be doing. But smaller burn numbers don't make anybody happy....

These companies have awesome marketing. Hopefully one day the science underneath it will catch up.

Really the best bet will be the Apple Watch, because it allows apps, and at some point someone is going to produce an app with more realistic burn numbers.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who fails to see the point unless you have a heart condition and need to track your heart rate

I wear a fitbit zip each day to track my activity level and a Polar FT4 during workouts to map my burn in steady-state cardio

But I don't see how the formula underpinning a 24 hour wear device can map TDEE which is what I assume most weight loss people want it to confirm...apart from as a vague indicator that you map against your actual weight over a couple of months, how is it useful beyond the cheaper more basic versions

I might be wrong

And I do love toys ...so I suppose I just want to know if there's any convincing evidence out there

i dont have one, so you kind of have to keep that in mind but...... i dont care how many steps i walked or calories i burned during the day or what my HR is throughout the day or .... whatever else they track.

All im focused on is how many calories i take in, and (approx) how many i burn with (purposeful) exercise.

and i dont need a gadget to track those ;) LOL

would i wear one/ use one if it were GIVEN to me.... maybe for awhile, but probably not for anything long term.
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options

THIS, can I get this, pleaaasee!? I'll even deal with the strap for purposeful exercises. I just really wanna upgrade from my cheaptastic hr monitor with a strap, because it's not a good one for estimating burning calories, maaybe for current heart-rate and even then it sometimes disconnects with the strap. I feel like I deserve a better gadget that would encompass all of the above, but I'm kind of guessing it doesn't exist just on the amount of threads for something similar, I have yet to research the market. And furthermore I'm going to the USA in May thinking I'll be able to get this kind of gadget for a bit less and with a lot more to offer than in the EU. But, I'm having second thoughts even before starting the research :(
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I was disappointed by my Fitbit, but I guess it doesn't have a heart rate monitor. It just doesn't track all exercises properly.

I'm looking at the Jawbone Up3 once I can find reviews... that one seems to do everything, I just wish it was waterproof... but yeah, I wish I could just borrow one for a couple days or something... they are great to give you an idea of what your TDEE is, but once you know, it's not that useful anymore (provided your activity is always pretty much the same).

Of course, you can always track your food properly and see how it affects your weight to deduct your TDEE though.

None of them work though ...not to give TDEE...that's the point I'm making ...they spew out vague estimates based on HR ...HR to calorie measurement is, as far as I know, only somewhat accurate for steady state cardio like jogging at a steady pace ...the rest of the numbers are suspect and no better than the basic pedometer style that are 1/3 of the price
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options

I think I'd be willing to pay more than $150 for that tbh...
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I liked the look of the Garmin Vivoactive, it has GPS and it's waterproof... Would be great for tracking bike rides/walks around here where phone signal is patchy and non-existent in places but it's just so... damn... big... I can see it driving me nuts as it would catch on everything. There's also the HR band issue, but oh well.

I suppose it would be fine on a big bloke, but I'm a 5'4 lady and my wrists are small, that thing is just a monster. It looks to be around the size of the original square ipod nano's.

Been searching for the "perfect" toy for a while now and have yet to find anything.

• MonsoonStorm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I might be wrong

I have a begrudging respect for the heart rate marketing brigade, they've really managed to make something out of nothing.

Here's how FitBit figures out your base burn...

-> 9.99 * weight(Kg) + 6.25*height(Cm) - 4.92*age(years) + s

If that looks familiar, it's because it is - it's the same formula used by a billion websites. Note the complete lack of body composition in the formula - this means it significantly over-estimated BMR for people carrying excess fat, and the more fat they carry, the bigger the over-estimate.

Here's how FitBit gets your NEAT (burn except "intentional exercise) (this is the male version)...

864 - 9.72 x age(years) + 1.0 x (14.2 x weight(kg))

Can you guess where that formula comes from? The FDA! :smiley:

At this point it should be clear that any calculation FitBit makes off of heart rate readings is going to be based on gross population models, and not to be taken at face value.

The biggest problem with the FitBit models is they all shade towards more over-estimation the heavier you are, and the worse your physical conditioning - which is the exact opposite of what they should be doing. But smaller burn numbers don't make anybody happy....

These companies have awesome marketing. Hopefully one day the science underneath it will catch up.

Really the best bet will be the Apple Watch, because it allows apps, and at some point someone is going to produce an app with more realistic burn numbers.

The Apple Watch meets my requirements for not lugging around something the size of a small calculator on my wrist, plus it's elegant enough that I'd be happy to wear it whenever. Unfortunately, there's no GPS, no band compatibility (that I know of...) and a battery life that is laughable. Maybe Apple Watch 2.0 will work for me. I could, of course lug my phone around with me at the same time to fix the GPS issue for now, but I'd rather not.

Actually... if the phone connects to the watch via bluetooth... perhaps one of the bluetooth straps would work... I could get a dual bluetooth/ANT one that would work with equipment if it did. Hrmmmmm.

Apple Watch + phone + strap = complete pita though, not to mention a rather expensive "solution" *sigh*
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I use Runtastic to track my runs. I may just buy their chest strap and use it with the app I'm already using (no additional watch). And maybe a wrist fitness tracker. Then I can compare HR when I'm training. We'll see.
    Mio and Scorsche both have products that provide accurate for exercise tracking HRM. Philips products in Europe may contain the same sensor as the Mio. Tom Tom Cardio line has the same sensor. Scorsche offers an HRM strap replacement called the Rhythm+
  • PAV8888
    Options
    one of the bluetooth straps would work... I could get a dual bluetooth/ANT one that would work with equipment if it did. Hrmmmmm.
    Rhythm+ by Scorsche if you want to wear your strap on your arm :smile:
    (purposeful exercise 6-7 hours battery life. Works at high rpm... err heart rates, and in the presence of sweating and is responsive going and down, only occasional transmission breaks due to phone I suspect more than anything)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Maybe Apple Watch 2.0 will work for me.

I'm waiting on the same. Meantime, it's not *that* hard to correlate activities back to walking/running, for which its easy to calculate the real burns.

There's really no need to be tracking HR 24-7, outside of medical conditions...