What to have with soup?

Options
lauraloy2013
lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
I am trying to vary what I have for lunches at work. I like taking soup because I can heat it in the microwave at work but don't really know what to take with it because it doesn't fill me on its own. I've tried croutons which are fine but would like some other ideas that are less calorific than bread. Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I always tend to bulk it up with vegetables, lean protein, pulses, noodles or sauces so it becomes more like a stew.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    A side of cut up veggies and dip of some kind (hummus, etc)
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yeah noodles sound good and the chopped veggies with dip. Might get some celery. Thanks
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Summer was always soup and salad when I worked. I would but the dressing in the bottom of a plastic container and pile in the firm veggies like carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, mushrooms, then fill with lettuce. Fruit salads were always good too. Mark Bittman who writes for the NY Times has 101 Summer Salads. The carrot ans blueberry one was good.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Try switching to dark rye bread. Lower glycemic index, less calorific and very filling.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Mark Bittman Salad link: nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This sounds weird but it is good:

Zucchini Apple Salad
    Source: Taste of Home
    6 Servings

Ingredients

2 medium red apples, chopped
    2 small zucchini, chopped
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
    2/3 cup Italian salad dressing

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the apples, zucchini and walnuts. Add salad dressing; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup (prepared with fat-free salad dressing) equals 114 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 383 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.

This one is good too: hungry-girl.com/show/fill-er-up-ginormous-fruit-salad-surprise-recipe

Last one: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/07/marinated-mushroom-salad.html
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Depending upon what kind of soup you are eating you can had half a sandwich made with rye bread or a sandwich thing. Sara Lee makes whole wheat and multi grain bread that is only 45 calories a slice. Hummus or guacamole with veggies to dip, or add it to your sandwich. Salads are another standby for me. Lots of veggies with a bit of cheese and low fat meat. I tend to limit the amount of noodles, pasta, rice, and potatoes I eat but I haven't eliminated them altogether, just smaller amounts.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Try having a salad with it. Or half of a sandwich.
  • Hilda0414
    Hilda0414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Gluten and grain free crackers. Commercially Mary's Gone Crackers is a fabulous brand. Home mDe recipes abound using ground flax in lieu of blood sugar spiking grains.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    BLT sandwich (or half sandwich), grilled cheese sandwich, fruit salad or a green salad, raw veggies with your favorite dip and also Toll house flat bread crackers are yummy as well.

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Depends on the soup. I make a spicy tomato and pepper one that is really nice with a dollop of Greek yoghurt in it.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese, an apple with cashew or peanut butter, yogurt with granola, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Depends upon the soup.......what's lacking macro-wise?

Does your soup have a decent protein count? If not, I would have a side of Greek yogurt, our some cottage cheese.

Does your soup have a decent fat count? If not, I would sprinkle some cheese on it, or have a side of nuts, or some nut butter.

Does your soup have a decent fiber count? Not a macro, but can be filling also. Add more veggies, have a piece of fruit.