Not eating enough calories

Options
Does anyone else have that problem? I don't eat enough calories during the day so my body seems to think I'm in starvation mode(As if) and holds on to my fat. Is anyone else having this issue

Replies

• letmein0309
    letmein0309 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am having the same problem. What I do is if for one day I don't eat enough calories I eat my calorie intake the next day
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That is next to impossible. If you're eating under your TDEE, you're going to lose weight.

What are your stats? How long has it been since you lost weight? Can you open your diary?
  • TamikaJames
    TamikaJames Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just bought some protein bars and meal replacement drinks. I'm hoping that will help
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have that problem? I don't eat enough calories during the day so my body seems to think I'm in starvation mode(As if) and holds on to my fat. Is anyone else having this issue

No.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Starvation mode really doesn't work like that and especially not in the short term. If you're not losing weight, it's far more likely to be from water weight or underestimating your intake. How far under your calories are you and how long since you last saw a drop on the scale?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth and if you cant eat enough calories, how did you get to the point where you need to LOSE weight?

• chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth and if you cant eat enough calories, how did you get to the point where you need to LOSE weight?

I know how I got fat! Lol
  • chantelp0508
    Options
    It's a lot easier to eat 2000 calories in McDonald than 2000 in cleaner eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But I still wouldn't say eating 2,000 in "cleaner foods" (whatever those are) is a "problem."

If someone is logging accurately and still failing to meet goals, they can add calorie dense foods to their diet. I think "clean eaters" still have access to those.
  • chantelp0508
    Options
    I didn't say it was a problem. It's just harder. I know that I can eat 1000 calories worth of McDonald's for lunch and than do it again a couple of hours later, but I can eat 300 calories of chicken and veg and be satisfied for 3-4 hours
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

2000 calories is still 2000 calories. If your TDEE is 1500 and you eat 2000 calories a day, you'll gain a pound a week no matter how "clean" your diet is.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No one has that problem.

If you're not losing weight, you are eating too much. period.
  • winram11
    winram11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're eating too few calories and still not losing weight, the problem is elsewhere. For example, sugars, sodium, etc all contribute heavily to how your body reacts to either water or fat burning.

I've spent the last year pretty much on near "too-few" calories (1200-1500 or so) with a very low sodium content and nearly no sugars and weight has plummeted with almost calculated precision. I don't believe that there is a starvation mode, just a pseudo-mental reaction to too few calories and people rebounding into sugars/salts which cause your body to not use up the reserves (fat) you really want to lose.

And no I'm not pointing fingers here, just what I've observed.

Exercise is a very important part of that too. Get your heart rate up for an hour and sweat -- how you do it is up to you.
  • chantelp0508
    Options
    What I'm saying is that it's a lot easier to go over calories, but I just realized that that isn't what op was talking about.…
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Starvation mode is a myth to the common dieter. If you don't eat enough calories you lose weight not hold onto fat.

If you are not eating enough you are unintentionally eating too much.
  • purplebuttersunflower
    Options

I had this problem. From January to February I ate 1500 calories and lost nothing. I joined MFP & started eating the suggested 1800 calories & still didn't lose anything. I posted on here asking for advice & was basically told that there was no way I was eating too few calories & that I was probably eating too many or not counting accurately. I went ahead & increased my calories anyway to try it out & ended up losing 2.7kgs in a week! Happy about the loss but even happier that I proved a few people wrong.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I went ahead & increased my calories anyway to try it out & ended up losing 2.7kgs in a week! Happy about the loss but even happier that I proved a few people wrong.

I hope you saved the data because you also proved physics wrong.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I went ahead & increased my calories anyway to try it out & ended up losing 2.7kgs in a week! Happy about the loss but even happier that I proved a few people wrong.

nah, she probably started tracking accurately.
  • purplebuttersunflower
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

nah, she probably started tracking accurately.

Yeah that must be it ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I had this problem. From January to February I ate 1500 calories and lost nothing. I joined MFP & started eating the suggested 1800 calories & still didn't lose anything. I posted on here asking for advice & was basically told that there was no way I was eating too few calories & that I was probably eating too many or not counting accurately. I went ahead & increased my calories anyway to try it out & ended up losing 2.7kgs in a week! Happy about the loss but even happier that I proved a few people wrong.

tumblr_mehdeuRPwb1qgh57wo1_400.gif

tumblr_mprqdujNID1spkxqto1_500_zpsxfujskg7.gif