Marinades - Help

Options
mjstewies
mjstewies Posts: 50 Member
If I marinade something and then grill it, how much of the marinade do you think I need to log? I have a homemade marinade (already on the chicken) and it looks like I added about 200-300 calories, but is that's what's really left on the chicken after grilling it?? Does anyone know??

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If it's something I know will affect the calorie count (ie not just spices), then I add it in to the recipe/log. I'd rather over calculate.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This is just off the top of my head and I'm sure no MFP Guru. 200-300 calories (per serving, right) sure seems like a lot to be added by a marinade. Oil, after all, is only 120 cal per Tbsp and I don't know how you'd get more than 1 1/2 tbsp to stick to a chicken leg. If it is an oil and vinegar based marinade you could guess 1/2 a tsp or so. Or you could weigh the chicken leg before and after marinating. Or if its the kind of deal where there's going to be a lot left over in the marinating dish, weigh the marinade before and after . I marinate catfish in buttermilk but I don't figure enough butter milk stuck to the fish to even warrant counting. I do count the flour and cornmeal and I suppose if the food police were gonna audit me I'd add 1 or 2 calories for the 1/2 tsp of buttermilk.
    Reread your post and if the question is how much is on the chicken when you put it on the grill compared to when you take it off, I'd say all or at least most.
  • mjstewies
    mjstewies Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It looks like most of the marinade will be left in the bowl so I'll measure that and re-figure from there. I think I should count it though. Oil, honey & soy sauce mainly.
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I often think this with marinades and sauces but log it as the full amount, if anything it means I'm over estimating my food which is what I would rather.