Started fast but no progress in a week.

Options
My friend showed me the myfitnesspal app. I was sold instantly and downloaded it. After 7 weeks of weight loss I admit that bad habits are creeping back. I guess this is common but I have to over come it. Thoughts? BTW I have a crazy thought of getting back to 184 lbs just like I was 33 years ago.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Be honest with yourself. Don't give up anything that you can't give up forever. If you want chocolate, have a little chocolate. The important thing is to fit what you want within your calorie and macro goals.

Don't let yourself feel deprived or else you may just give up altogether.

As for your goal weight, you can reach it if you are patient. Just keep eating at a calorie deficit and you will eventually get there.

You can do this!
  • emilyinsydney
    emilyinsydney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have faith and stick with it. I too had a pause after a fabulous start but I kept doing the same things and it started again.
  • sblack60076
    sblack60076 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Back on track. Forced myself to add back elitical sessions and raised step goal.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My advice is to be totally honest. Whether your diary is open to everyone or visible to only you, you're answerable to yourself. If you slip off the wagon and eat something horrendously full of calories and fat which pushes you over your calorie allowance, log it. Log all of it. If you don't keep an honest record of what you're putting into your mouth, you won't be able to analyse how much and how often you're overeating. Information is power.

If you're an emotional eater, keep daily notes too about how you're feeling - again, it's all about understanding how much you're eating and why.

Be more active. If I splash out calorie wise, I walk more. I sync MFP to Runkeeper so I can 'earn back' some calories and effectively 'undo the damage'. It's all about balance. If you want to go out for an all day breakfast, okay, fine, but you have to go for a run. If you don't want to go for a run, you're settling for a bowl of cereal. And so on. It's about being aware of the calorie content of food, and what you can do to manage that within the allowance which works for your height and weight.

Never get discouraged - one day will never permanently sabotage your diet, always just dust yourself off and keep going again. It does get easier, promise. You just need to teach yourself some good habits first.
  • sblack60076
    Options
    Your post is humorous. I agree though that it is easy to under report food intake. The other day the real thought I had was that I still don't know the best choices from the array of food selections that can be logged. My next thought was when in doubt overestimate quantity and pick higher calorie selections. That way I can see if the calories are rising too fast in relation to my allowance. Thanks for the encouragement to report accurately.
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Remember your measurements!! They can tell you so much more then a scale too!
  • sblack60076
    Options
    Ok when I have to get a smaller belt I will celebrate. :)
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Should just get a tape measure-- maybe 3-5 dollars.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/weightlosstrack_2.htm
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    DMLC2014 wrote: »
    Should just get a tape measure-- maybe 3-5 dollars.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/weightlosstrack_2.htm

Unless you live near a dollar store. I have several all over the house.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Ok when I have to get a smaller belt I will celebrate. :)

That is what is known as a Non-Scale Victory (NSV) and we all have them and celebrate them. Each time you go to a smaller hole on your belt is a victory. Buying a new belt because you are on the last one is an even better victory!

• earlnabby
    Options
    My friend showed me the myfitnesspal app. I was sold instantly and downloaded it. After 7 weeks of weight loss I admit that bad habits are creeping back. I guess this is common but I have to over come it. Thoughts? BTW I have a crazy thought of getting back to 184 lbs just like I was 33 years ago.

At least you recognize that it is the bad habits creeping back and not the "I am doing everything right, why am I not losing" complaint we hear so often. Nip them in the bud now and go forward, and yes, you CAN get back to 184 lb.