What is the best running app for beginners?

Options
Hi, I have just started running (and swimming) what's the best app that I can track my progress?
I tried the rubdouble app today and I don't like it as it didn't sync with my fitness pal.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    C25k
    Idk if it syncs but its a good app
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    runkeeper...that's how i started running and yes, it sync with mfp ;)
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    +1 for runkeeper.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Depends what you're looking for...

ZenLabs Couch 2 5k App will teach you how to run. It starts you off very slowly and works you up to running 30 minutes straight.

Zombie 5k is a great app for teaching you how to run too. If Zenlabs is boring, Zombie 5k gives you an entire story line to listen to. It's super fun.

Runkeeper will keep track of your miles, time, and speed while doing the Zenlabs app. Runkeeper has pre-made running plans but none of them has worked for me as well as Zenlabs has. I enter in the running days from Zenlab into Runkeeper and it works fantastically.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just completed Couch to 5K (C25K) and it syncs to MFP. If you're looking for a bit of a easier training program, Zombies 5k is great too, but it doesn't sync to MFP.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I love MapMyRun. You can track various workouts with, not just running. I can't remember for sure if it syncs, but I think it does.
  • WideAgain
    WideAgain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not trying to saboutage the thread but would also like to know...

1. How do you sync with Runkeeper and is it a general tracker or is it specific to the individual? (Can you link it to a heart monitor or something similar?)
    2. I have an iPhone 4... Unless the battery pretty topped up I can't rely on it to have enough battery until the end of exercise. (This is irritating at the end of a work day when the battery is down to 45% or less.) Any thoughts?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I like Strava.
  • aPiratesLife31
    aPiratesLife31 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I am a cyclist and use MapMyRide, which is a sister product to MapMyRun. Both products sync with My Fitness Pal. If you click on APPs in the header of My Fitness Pal, you will see the download for MapYourRide. And like xcalygrl says, you can track other workouts besides your runs!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    if you have an iphone this is it: jeff galloway

You can listen to your own music. He changes the pace. He talks to you and gives you tips during your workout.

He uses the run/walk method. Pick you run interval and your walk interval, example: 30sec run/ 2 minute walk. Full customization.

I've used him for a half and full marathon training also. I feel lost if I don't have him occasionally talking to me. I also sometimes live for him to say "start walking".
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper. It has several training programs with it, and you sync it up with mfp while setting it up. It is synced by your own settings, so it's personal. When you change your weight in mfp, it updates it in runkeeper as well.
    I'm using their C25K app now, and just did week 3, day 1 today. So far, I'm loving it! Its only an 8 week program, whereas I have noticed a lot of other people's C25K app is a 9week program. It has you running or walking every other day, and they start you out on Sundays. Its not set in stone. I started mine on the 1st, because I didn't want to wait another 5 days to start. You can view your schedule, and select the workout you want to do. Just make sure that you change your activity to running on running days, and walking on walking days. You can also track bike rides, hiking, swimming, and several other activities. It has a GPS mode, and a stopwatch mode. I haven't used the stopwatch mode yet, but that would be for activities like swimming or running on a treadmill. I'd recommend this app! There is a free version, or you can pay to be an "Elite Member" for $40 a year/$10 a month. I just use the free version now, and it works great. It talks to you every 5 minutes to tell you how long you've gone, how far you've gone, and your speed.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    WideAgain wrote: »
    Not trying to saboutage the thread but would also like to know...

1. How do you sync with Runkeeper and is it a general tracker or is it specific to the individual? (Can you link it to a heart monitor or something similar?)
    2. I have an iPhone 4... Unless the battery pretty topped up I can't rely on it to have enough battery until the end of exercise. (This is irritating at the end of a work day when the battery is down to 45% or less.) Any thoughts?

You can enter in your height and weight with Runkeeper and that helps it calculate calorie burn. I do think it syncs with a couple of different HRMs, although I use Pear for that so I'm not sure.

It is a battery hog, but not too terrible on my iPhone 6—I could make it thought a day of work and a run. I don't actively use Runkeeper anymore ever since I got my Garmin 220 watch. A GPS watch means you don't even need to carry your phone with you for tracking purposes and can sync at any time after the fact, so it's nice in that regard.
  • ShandyJo82
    ShandyJo82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started running myself I use C25K and Endomondo Sports Tracker both sync with My Fitness Pal
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. You can only link it to Spotify if you have a Premium account, but I just run free Spotify and then Runkeeper (two apps at the same time) so it isn't an issue. I think you can link it to your iTunes account for free, but I don't have any music saved; I'm all about the cloud.

I found out recently that you can use the Runkeeper site to design routes and sync them to your app (yes, it did take me over a year to notice that feature) and I've found it really helpful. Basically, I create a route starting at my house, then pick the best roads to reach whatever distance target I want, and end back at my house. I've modified the route the more I've run around here, partially to change the distance, but partially to pick less busy streets (something you only figure out from running locally).

When I run, I pick my own route, and I look at my phone every so often to make sure I'm running the right way. I find that I run faster when I have a planned route in mind, and when I'm listening to music with an appropriate beat. I genuinely don't know how people run without music...

Runkeeper syncs to MFP, you enter your weight in one, and it pulls through to the other. When you log a run in Runkeeper, the calorie burn gets pushed through to MFP and your calorie allowance is adjusted accordingly.

MFP, Runkeeper and Spotify for the win.

I wouldn't run with a spare battery, but if you are starting a run after work, can you not just plug your phone in before you leave? If you can't plug it into the company electricity for whatever reason, you can buy portable phone chargers for cheap which are really good. (Another recent discovery of mine.) Make sure your phone is fully charged before the start of a run, the apps are pretty battery intensive.