Fit bit calories confusion.

Options
I've just brought a Fitbit charge but can't make head or tail of the calories.. Any clue?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    What are you not understanding? It tells you how many calories you have burned so far in the day. If you link up to MFP, it will add or subtract from your calorie allowance based on our goals and activity level for the day. I have mine set up for this and it works great.
  • mieche
    mieche Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It calculates the calories your naturally burns throughout the day, even when you are sleeping. This is your normal calorie burn but won't help with weight loss. If you link your Fitbit with My Fitness Pal, MFP will adjust the calories to show you just what you are burning. If you are just going by Fitbit then I recommend ignoring the calories as the numbers they show you can trick you into thinking you've done more than you have and cause you to eat more and end up gaining weight.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's what I didn't get, now it mentions I've lost 2000 cals today. Which I haven't! But I'll link to MFP.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    That's what I didn't get, now it mentions I've lost 2000 cals today. Which I haven't! But I'll link to MFP.

Okay. So what exactly aren't you understanding? What do you mean you have "lost 2000 cals".

Fitbit calorie burn includes your BMR. The calories your body burns at rest. BMR actually makes up a large chunk of your calorie burn in a day. For example, Fitbit gives me 1440 for my BMR. Those are the calories I burn without doing anything. No getting up out of bed or anything. I should pretty much always burn about that many calories before any activity is added in.
    Then walking adds to that.
    Then exercise adds a small percentage to that.
    Fitbit tells you your TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure or Maintenance level calories.
  • OhioGuy37
    OhioGuy37 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm open to all connects, also have a Fitbit and building a nice group there as well.