Greetings from the Midwest!

Options
Hello fellow MFP friends!! I am Shannon, and as we all are, I'm trying to loose weight and chatting with people on the same rollercoaster ride as myself. I plan on living into my 100s, so I need to start taking better care of myself now!!!!!!!!! My husband and I both are in need of shedding pounds. Like many, we love watching "The Biggest Loser" (TBL) while scooping spoonfuls of ice cream. We joined the YMCA back in March but have yet to go. I have been trying to be more diligent in watching what I eat and my calorie intake though I'm not always successful. Beginning this Saturday I'm making it my goal to be at the YMCA daily doing something. I also am going to walk nightly.

My goal is to loose 130 pounds overall. I want to try and loose 20 pounds by mid July. i don't know if that is possible at this date. I want to loose 50 pounds by Thanksgiving. By my 45th birthday at the end of March, my plan is to be another 30 pounds lighter. The remaining weight off by the end of June. So these goals give me a whole year and a month. Is it realiistic?? I don't know.......is it?

I have Insulin resistance (aka Metabolic Syndrome X) which makes me losing weight more difficult. I looked into bariatric surgery, but am not sure that is the way I want to go. I mean yes...it would help me loose the weight, but........ I have known a few that have had the sugery and nothing but complications. Do I want to put myself through that?? The do it on TBL so why can't I?? Sure it won't be as quick but still.............! I watched Oprah's show where guest and everyone in the audience had lost 100+ pounds. Though the guest never said if they had surgery or not, I'm guessing they had not.

So this is me, and I'm glad to be here!! We are all in this race together with the goal of becoming healthier and a better person!

Replies

• randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place!! Good luck!!!
  • daddeeo
    daddeeo Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi! This site will help you so much. It really makes you aware of what you are eating and burning. Good luck!!!
  • AliciaMancini
    Options
    Hi Shannon, my name is Alicia. I'm 32 yrs. old, married with three kids, one dog and three cats. It's so nice to meet you! I just want to say that I'm proud of you for getting started. I just lost thirty five pounds by counting calories and praying to the Lord for stength every time I wanted to over eat. I still have a lot more to lose but we can do it! Let's make a promise to each other that we log everything we eat, every day. That is the first step... simple, but the consistency will really help us. Hang in there girl! I know that we can lose two pounds a week if we use God for our strength... I can't do this on my own... I tried. May the Lord bless your weight loss...

with much Love,
    Alicia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome!You`re in the right place.You can do it!!
    jane:flowerforyou:
  • cjpblue
    cjpblue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm from Kansas and I have been working on losing weight since mid September of 2010 and I joined MFP in December. I have also been taking Phentermine to help with the hunger, so I not doing this without some help. I am down 103 pounds and I still would like to lose another 35 before I start maintaining. My goal date is my birthday on October 10th. I will be 40 then and I wanted to be in the 140's by 40. I would love to email back and forth to cuss and discuss the struggles and successes. Good luck and remember do a few things for the goal, but the rest have to be done for life.