Overeating calories one day, cutting it out the next

Options
Is it bad that l do this? Basically if l overeat my calories by about an extra 1000 calories (so instead of 1200 i ate 2200) and l don't burn it off, the next day l only eat about... 800/950 calories instead of 1200 as my form of 'punishment' so to speak. ls this unhealthy?

Replies

• SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I would not recommend it...but that is just my opinion....I usually just make sure I do more activity that day. If I have a really bad day for eating then I will still eat my required amount of calories per day but won't eat into my exercise calories for the next few days.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's not healthy. You should never eat less than 1200 on any given day. You are going to play all sorts of games with your metabolism and cause it to slow if you do that on a regular basis. Try to focus more on self control every day.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    You should never eat less than 1200 calories per day. This can cause your body to go into starvation mode...not to mention really screw up your metabolism.
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a problem at all. Although thinking of it as a "punishment" might not be the right word, you might make a bad mental connection and then cause you to overeat again or something. But to lose 1 lb. a week you need to have a deficit of 3500 calories in that 7 day period, your body doesn't really care how the calories were spread out... just that there has been that deficit.
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oops! Posted twice :/
  • zowens
    zowens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually it could be considered calorie cycling if you the calorie difference wasn't so big. Calorie cycling can trick the metabolism into going up because it can't keep up with the changes but it may be a little unhealthy the way you're doing because the difference in the amount of calories is so great. I calorie cycle sometime but it's usually only the difference of between 400 calories or so. I am not an expert on calorie cycling or eating right but I hope this helps. Good Luck with your weight loss journey.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I thought this practice, on occasion, is what is meant by "zigzagging." No?
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    No, that doesn't work. You can't "bank calories"....a calorie is a calorie and a day is a day. Your goal is to be reached in a 24 hour period. When you are over, you are over. Eating over is going to hinder your weight loss and so is eating under 1200. It is best if you strive to net a minimum of 1200 calories a day. There is calorie zig zagging, but you don't eat under 1000 calories when you zig zag. If you are trying to zig zag google it so you do it the right way.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I DO THIS BUT I DON'T GO OVER SO MUCH. I DO IT FOR MAYBE A COUPLE HUNDRED.. ITS BEEN FINE FOR ME.
  • Lynnah
    Lynnah Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you eat that little the next day, you'll probably get really hungry and end up eating more anyway! It's best not to get into a cycle of eating loads and then hardly any, so if you eat a bit more than planned one day, just accept it and move on and eat 'normally' the next day.

2200 isn't really that much anyway, and 850 calories is WAY too little to be surviving on! Punishing yourself will just make you feel worse about yourself. I've been guilty of doing this in the past, and it's a lot less stressful just moving on with your life and forgetting a bit of overindulgence :).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Doing that once in a while will not do any harm. However, if you do it consistently, it could backfire and cause problems.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I thought this practice, on occasion, is what is meant by "zigzagging." No?

Zigzagging is usually a few hundred calorie difference a day. Not something this large. And I would never recommend zigging or zagging under 1200 for any reason.
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What you are really doing is what's called "zig-zagging." However, as many people already said, it isn't healthy to go under 1200 a day for a woman. Going over by 1000 on a given day is probably not wise. Try zig-zagging a little lighter...like maybe going 350 or so over one day, but then making up for it over several days. You may need to slightly raise your base calories to do this in a healthy manner.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between calorie banking - which is what you're describing - and calorie cycling, or 'zigzagging' your calories. Typically when someone banks their calories, they go over on their sodium, fat, carbs, etc. The scale will then show a gain. When you then 'starve' off your calories, it will take longer to lose that weight gain - even though it's not technically there (unless you eat like 10,000 calories in a day). Cycling your calories is typically a difference of no more than 300 calories between days. So on day 1, you eat 1200, day 2 you eat 1500, and day 3 you eat 1200 again. This tricks your metabolism into trying to keep up with what you're doing AND you don't fall below the 1200 a day that your body needs to survive.

Banking calories, IMO, is unhealthy. What concerns me even more is your statement that you'll 'punish' yourself by eating 800. Your diet is NOT a punishment, it's a way to feed your body.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think the minimum 1200 calorie limit is because it would be extremely hard to get your minimum nutritional needs from anything less. Obviously this is an average, some taller people will need more and the shorter ones of us may be fine with less. I also think that you need to eat your minimum amount of calories so you don't feel super hungry -- as this can lead to overeating. You could actually be perpetuating your binge day/starve day cycle, so my advice is to do your best to eat within your calories each day. Caloric cycling/the zig-zag method is another technique to use, but the calorie difference is not as extreme.
  • RickinSalinas
    RickinSalinas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to calorie counting and the healthy eating stuff and I find that I accidentally zig zag due to me just not being experienced enough. its always seemingly under... then I make up for it with beer at the end of the day.. this helps me not drink as much either. Is this ok to do?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    No, that doesn't work. You can't "bank calories"....a calorie is a calorie and a day is a day. Your goal is to be reached in a 24 hour period. When you are over, you are over.

I'm sorry, but I most strongly disagree with this. Even MFP talks about weekly goals and deficits. You must cut 3500 cal/week to lose a pound, which equates to 500/day. Even Weight Watchers bases a whole plan on "banking" points. Having said that, I do agree that <1200 is not only unhealthy but very hard to maintain.