Need some ideas!!

nell1228
nell1228 Posts: 34 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently learned that I have a tibial plateau fracture (stress fracture of the tibia right below the knee). I'm not in a cast or anything, but the dr. said no exercise that involves my legs. I usually run and do workout DVD's, but they're a no-no for now :(. I need some ideas for upper body/abdominal workouts because I don't want to totally get out of exercising during the next 6 weeks....

Thanks!!

Replies

• jerseygirl08
    jerseygirl08 Posts: 14 Member
    hundredpushups.com ; you could try and do the knee based push-ups? I am not sure if your Dr would be thrilled though... You may want to consult them first :)
  • graymojo
    graymojo Posts: 8
    Ask him if you can swim. Swimming involves the legs and is amazing at burning calories, but it doesn't put weight on your leg so it might be okay. Also, you might be able to immobilize it and swim with your arms.

Other than that, canoeing, kayaking, anything that involves rowing a boat. Just be careful not to put weight on your legs.
  • GingerDarlene
    GingerDarlene Posts: 164 Member
    I use to take a class at the YMCA years ago called hyrdro jog. It was in the deep end you had on belts that kept you upright and head above water. I wonder if you could do that, if you could find a class like that.
  • Adeland
    Adeland Posts: 19
    Ask him if you can swim. Swimming involves the legs and is amazing at burning calories, but it doesn't put weight on your leg so it might be okay. Also, you might be able to immobilize it and swim with your arms.

Other than that, canoeing, kayaking, anything that involves rowing a boat. Just be careful not to put weight on your legs.

I like this post!... and I agree!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Chest and Arms: Push-ups
    - Close grip
    - Wide grip
    - Diamond (thumb and forefinger together in a diamond shape)
    - Handstand (against a wall if you need to)

Arms and Back: Pull-ups (palms away from you) or Chin-ups (palms facing you)
    - Close grip
    - Wide grip
    - 1-arm (second hand grips wrist)
    - 1-arm towel (loop towel over bar, grip with one hand, place other hand directly on bar, switch towel hand for next set.)

Abs:
    - Sit-ups
    - Reverse crunches
    - Leg raises
    - Planks/Bridges (raise 1 arm/leg to increase difficulty)

If you worked out M/W/F the following would give you a great workout.

Mon: 2 from chest and arms, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Wed: 2 from arms and back, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Fri: 2 from chest and arms, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps

The following week:
    Mon: 2 from arms and back, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Wed: 2 from chest and arms, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Fri: 2 from arms and back, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    My main workout is Insanity but I also do a bit of Wii boxing. Wii boxing surprisingly makes me sweat a lot. You don't have to move your feet either but I like to anyway to add more calories burned.
  • Jbugfit2011
    Jbugfit2011 Posts: 105
    Use a medicine ball for triceps workout.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Chest and Arms: Push-ups
    - Close grip
    - Wide grip
    - Diamond (thumb and forefinger together in a diamond shape)
    - Handstand (against a wall if you need to)

Arms and Back: Pull-ups (palms away from you) or Chin-ups (palms facing you)
    - Close grip
    - Wide grip
    - 1-arm (second hand grips wrist)
    - 1-arm towel (loop towel over bar, grip with one hand, place other hand directly on bar, switch towel hand for next set.)

Abs:
    - Sit-ups
    - Reverse crunches
    - Leg raises
    - Planks/Bridges (raise 1 arm/leg to increase difficulty)

If you worked out M/W/F the following would give you a great workout.

Mon: 2 from chest and arms, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Wed: 2 from arms and back, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Fri: 2 from chest and arms, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps

The following week:
    Mon: 2 from arms and back, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Wed: 2 from chest and arms, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps
    Fri: 2 from arms and back, 2 from abs, 5 sets 10 reps

A note on the push-ups: If they cause discomfort in your bad leg, only put your good leg on the ground and cross your bad leg over it, this will remove almost all of the weight from your bad leg and is much better for you than push-ups from your knees.
  • nell1228
    nell1228 Posts: 34 Member
    Thanks everyone!! I'll definately be trying some of these over the next few weeks!
This discussion has been closed.