Healthy Picks at Chinese Restaurant?

Options
Help! I'm going to lunch with some co-workers today at a Chinese place and I need healthy suggestions.

Ideas? I'd imagine my usual Sesame Chicken won't cut the mustard with my weight loss goals :)

Replies

• HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    bump..
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    bump bump.... id like to know what are some healthy options too!
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    bump bump.... id like to know what are some healthy options too!
  • elaine8255
    elaine8255 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What kind of chinese restaurant are you going to? American-Chinese? Dim Sum? Restaurant with traditional chinese dishes? Snack style restaurant?

I'm here in toronto where there's a crazy amount of different types of chinese restaurants...
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I usually have shrimp in lobster sauce with rice... I was a honey garlic chicken loverrrr!

Mine may not be top 10 but its good and seafood is better I guess. The obvious answer would be their veggie dishes but I cant do it quite yet.

Here is the calorie count for it : http://fitday.com/WebFit/nutrition/All_Foods/Fish/Shrimp_entree_with_lobster_sauce.html
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to soup (hot & sour will be good) to start, boiled rice and some kind of chicken dish for main [make sure it's chicken breast in sauce and not battered chicken] with lots of water..

Chinese is not an easy cuisine to find a "healthy" option for!

I found this online:

Choose:
    •hot and sour soup
    •wonton soup
    •steamed spring roll
    •teriyaki chicken skewer
    •dishes made with steamed or boiled chicken or shrimp
    •steamed vegetables
    •stir-fries (request less oil)
    •bok choy

Avoid:
    •battered or fried appetizers
    •egg rolls
    •General Tso's chicken
    •Kung Pao chicken
    •duck
    •dishes laden with rich sauces e.g. Hoisin or sweet and sour
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding Chinese just because I'm not sure what the calories/sodium and such are like! It would be great if someone had estimates. It seems like my favorite local place uses a lot of oil, so even if I get the broccoli with garlic sauce I feel like I'm being baaaaad! :)
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    We go to chinese buffet alot....I was a general t'so chicken addict,,after learning a cup of it was 800 calories I now choose rice and stir fry with lots of veggies....stay away from the fries stuff if possible.......Good Luck....
  • youngpat
    youngpat Posts: 12
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the shrimp and noodles, the rice is actually white rice but the noodles look wheat and they cook them with olive oil.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    At a lot of mainstream Chinese places in the states, something may seem healthy but have a very sweet or salty sauce on it.

Because of this options that have Mongolian BBQ or a 'choose how it's cooked' style serving are ideal.
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken with broccoli and brown rice. The place I go to has a sauce that's not too heavy. My friend got chicken with mushroom, and there was a white sauce on it that was barely even there.
  • Orakio
    Orakio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's tough at an American style 'Chinese' Restaurant - It's heavily fried and sweetened in general.

The word 'steamed' is your friend. Avoid breaded and batter-dipped. General Tso's and Sesame Chicken are about as bad as you can get. Sweet and Sour is also probably not helpful. Fried is hard to avoid, but stir-frying should be more conservative with the oil than not, but your local will vary.

Small portion, if it's available. Put half of it in a doggy bag, and don't feel guilty about letting your friends eat way more than you are.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken with broccoli and brown rice. The place I go to has a sauce that's not too heavy. My friend got chicken with mushroom, and there was a white sauce on it that was barely even there.
    Me too. Steamed chicken and brocolli with brown rice. The brown sauce is on the side, so I don't have to glop it all up! I think it's the healthiest option for Chinese food. :)
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    When I want to be healthy at a Chinese place, I usually go with Chicken and Broccoli, and brown rice. Or veggies in a yummy brown garlic sauce (they usually call this something like "Vegetable Delight).

Nothing fried. :)

You won't be able to get around the sodium issue, but you can definitely keep your calories low.

Does the place serve sushi? Sushi is good and healthy.
  • emfoley2
    emfoley2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do they have sushi? Most of the chinese places around here do, do I go with something like an Alaska roll - lost of protein and flavor without the sauce, fryingand carbs - and maybe some wonton soup.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    chicken and brocolli steamed no sauce
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Beef with brocolli, anything with lots of vegetables meat and fish. Keep away from noodles and rice as most of it is not whole grain, and is very high in carbs. Keep away from the fried foods like egg rolls and battered chicken. Sweat and sour sauce is high in calories.
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I went the other day and it wasn't so bad...I asked for veggies with shrimp and no sauce...i had steamed rice but only ate a palm full cuz they give you a boatload....it'll be ok...enjoy iced tea or hot tea and water...but most of all enjoy your friends! :flowerforyou:
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Most all chinese resturaunts i have been to have steamed veggies which would be the best choice. I get garlic brocolli with the garlic sauce on the side and dip.
  • jsharpnack
    jsharpnack Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    pepper steak, beef and broccoli, chicken and broccoli or garlic chicken