over 100 lbs to lose...

Options
karilou52
karilou52 Posts: 11 Member
Hi I am Kari! I have an upcoming knee surgery that I would like to weigh less for, since I remember the recovery time from my last knee surgery! Not fun! Hoping for success this time around...

Replies

• dellafwhite67
    dellafwhite67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Kari, I have over a 100 lbs to lose as well. If you like to be friends, that would help. We could encourage each other. I do good for about 2 or 3 weeks then I just let other things keep me busy. I am really in good health but obese. I have high blood pressure right now and want to lose enough weight to not take those pills anymore. Recently I have found out why pasta and breads have always made me sick. I never knew or heard of Celiac Disease before. I am a person that deal with my surroundings and focus on things I want to do. So I dealt with health issues and worked around them. I would get sick and doctors could never find anything. I decided to keep a food diary on here last year and a friend checked it over and noticed when I would feel my worse. So I took this information to my doctor and found out that I have a gluten allergy. He ran all the tests etc. Anyways... I am feeling better and am ready to give this weigh loss program another try.

I hear of people having knee surgery. I also hear they do a great job and they feel better afterwards. I hope you do not experience much pain. When is your surgery? How much weight do you want to try to lose a week till your surgery?

• justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was where you are when I started out about 8 months ago. I am 5ft tall and weighed 265. My BP, sugar and cholesterol were perfect. As I told my trainer, I was the most digustingly healthy morbidly obese person he'll ever meet. I am financially stuck living with a mentally ill roommate and the stress had caused me to gain 70lbs. I started out working out with him once a week for 30 minutes. It was nice and I saw some loss but I needed to do more. I now lift with him 3 times a week for an hour and as of this morning, I weigh 209. Half of that has happened in the past 3 months. I do mainly weights but in the past month I got back in the pool. For me, thats my zen thing. I bought some waterproof headphones, listen to great music and the only thing I let in my head is my trainer encouraging me to push just a liitle harder this time than I did the last time.

It's hard, and it's frustrating and it just sucks when you are doing everything right and you ferl good and the new mental picture you are forming of yourself looks good and then you look in the mirror and... who the hell is that person? Because they just don't look anywhere near as good as you feel. Don' t let it get to you though. Keep concentrating on the image in your head and you'll get there. We all go through it. My trainers biggest frustration is that I will not look in the mirror. He just wants me to see whats wrong with my form but all I see is my FORM and..yeah...NO!

Find an activity that you love, or a workout partner thst makes you laugh. My guy tortures me, but he makes me laugh while we are doing it and that makes it all tolerable.

Also, if ypu are going to be working out, find the carbs you can eat. Your muscles feed on protein but your brain needs the carbs. I love bread like a kid love candy so when I started this journey I swore off bread and potatoes (read potatoes as if I was speaking of a long lost love) and carbs in general. The result unfortunetly was me nearly passong out with a barbell on my shouldets halway thru a set of squats or when standing up, and at leat twice, just while standing there.

So basically, feed your brain, ignore the mirror and know, you are not alone, you got this and on those days that you are not so sure, there are people here that have been there, or are there, and they've got you.

The cupcakes do not get to win!
  • karilou52
    Options
    Hi dellafwhite 67, thanks for your response! My mother found out she is sensitive to gluten at 83 years old! I do not need to eat gluten-free for today, but I do tend to overeat breads and pasta...I would love to be friends! Do I send you a friend request?
    About the surgery, I don't have a date as of yet. I am hoping for the middle of July. If I could lose 30 pounds by then, I would be at the same weight as I was for the last total knee replacement I had on my right knee. Recovery is pretty tough when obese such as I am...
  • karilou52
    Options
    Hello justfenix! Kudos on losing 56 pounds!! I love your advice to keep a good mental picture of who I want to be and to not let the mirror get me down...I have always disliked my appearance even when I weighed 125 in High School...not your classic beauty...but now, I can accept my looks that I can't change, and I can focus on that which I can change, namely the overweight part of me! As far as an activity, swimming is just about the only thing I can do, as walking is not an option until I get a new knee. I love your idea of waterproof headphones and music! And how helpful to know other people have been where I am now, and you have my back! And the cupcakes absolutely do not get to win!
  • MelissaMcknight2015
    Options
    Hello all I am 5'8'' and I do think I am around 250 to 275 lbs. I have an upcoming wedding and would like to loose a few lbs before the wedding but not to much that I have to alter my dress. The main thing I want to do is after the wedding I want to get back down to 150 to 175 this would be amazing it would put me back to my high school weight. I am also trying to get my daughter to join this with me because she has done everything and is still unable to loose weight. The Dr can not find anything wrong on why she is unable to get rid of the weight so I thought that this might help her out a little as well good luck to all that are trying to get back to a healthy weight.
  • julienicole2xox
    julienicole2xox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also looking to lose 100-110 and I have always had trouble losing weight and staying with a diet plan. Since we are all looking to sccomplish the same goals maybe we can help each other out.
  • justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Karilou... The headphones have been great for me. The ones I use have a built in MP3 player and are made by Pyle if you are looking for some.
  • pepsismum
    pepsismum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey All ! I have around 104lb left to lose and would love to help you all on your journeys I have added some of you as friends anyone who I have missed please feel free to add me I am always online if anyone needs a chat xxx hannah xxx
  • pepsismum
    pepsismum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey All ! I have around 104lb left to lose and would love to help you all on your journeys I have added some of you as friends anyone who I have missed please feel free to add me I am always online if anyone needs a chat xxx hannah xxx
  • UrbanUrsula
    UrbanUrsula Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi ya looks like we are cut from the same cloth. I'm in recovery from a torn ACL. Looking to drop 105lb / 7st 7lb.. So if you need to rant about the pain or swelling around knee feel free. We can do this one lb at a time... Good luck and hope you recovery fast