Half marathon 2 weeks from today...Can I do this?

Options
My friend had signed up for a HM, but has to bow out due to an injury and offered me her spot. I've been training for a HM, but hadn't expected to race until later this fall. I started running around the beginning of the year.

Generally, on my long runs I use Galloway's run/walk intervals. I usually do 4 minutes running/1 minute walking. Yesterday I did 6.5 miles while pushing my daughter in our jogging stroller, and felt like I could have done at least another 3 miles easily.

Considering I won't be dealing with the jogging stroller in the HM, and if I reduce my run/walk intervals to 2 minutes running/1 minute walking, does this sound doable? I'm just looking to finish the race without any sort of time goal (except to not get kicked out for being too slow-there's a 4 hour time limit). If it's too risky, I can switch the registration to the 5K race instead.

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Doable? Sure. The best idea? probably not.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Doable? Sure. The best idea? probably not.

This.

I've gone into a half marathon underprepared and it was not a fun experience. I finished but it was pretty miserable. I do not recommend.

Is there a 10k option?
  • WhitneySpeicher
    WhitneySpeicher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No 10k option. Just 5k or HM.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    LittleWhit wrote: »
    No 10k option. Just 5k or HM.

Well, I can tell you the smart thing to do, and I can tell you what I would do. Those of course are two different things :smile:

I'm sure you could finish a half. I'm uncertain about how pleasant the experience would be.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You maybe could, but do you really want your first HM to be crazy slow and un-rewarding? Wouldn't you rather your first HM be something you feel really ready for and that you at least can attempt to kick butt at?
    The first scenario might put you off wanting to do another HM, the second scenario will probably leave you wanting more.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are referring to Pittsburgh, it does have a ton of awesome live music & crowd support on the course. If you can do 9.5 now (try it next weekend), 13 is doable. Worst case, the 6 mile mark of the Pittsburgh course (near the west end bridge) is only about a mile walk from the finish line if you drop out at that point. If you need to do run/walk, just join the last corral, start at the back, try the 2/1, and make sure you get to the side when changing up from running to walking.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    If you are referring to Pittsburgh, it does have a ton of awesome live music & crowd support on the course. If you can do 9.5 now (try it next weekend), 13 is doable. Worst case, the 6 mile mark of the Pittsburgh course (near the west end bridge) is only about a mile walk from the finish line if you drop out at that point. If you need to do run/walk, just join the last corral, start at the back, try the 2/1, and make sure you get to the side when changing up from running to walking.

I would not advise trying 9.5 miles for the first time a week before an untrained HM.

eta: if you want to do the half, your game is now about survival, not best performance. So this week, go out for 3 runs of 3-5ish miles, then *maybe* try a 7 mile run on Sunday. Even that seems long. to me at this point (unless you are really used to the 6 mile distance as your long run) then you will want to rest up. Just do a few short runs ing the week before. Get used to whatever run/walk interval you will employ. The worst thing you could do is suddenly increase your long run by 33% a week before the race. That will just leave you more tired than you already will be.
  • vancesa
    vancesa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just did my first half two months ago and if you haven't gone beyond a nine mile mark at this point, I would not recommend a hm. It is physically demanding (of course) but mentally as well. And I would encourage your first experience to be one you're well calculated and planned out for so you fully enjoy the experience
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    >I would not advise trying 9.5 miles for the first time a week before an untrained HM

There are definitely some popular novice plans that include just building to a 10 miler the week before (see: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program for the most popular example novice plan that does that).

If the time limit is 4 hours, and you have been putting in a reasonable amount of mileage weekly (15+), I'd think you could finish in under 4. Just not sure how comfortable you'll be walking the last 3 if you can only run/walk the first 10.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    >I would not advise trying 9.5 miles for the first time a week before an untrained HM

There are definitely some popular novice plans that include just building to a 10 miler the week before (see: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program for the most popular example novice plan that does that).

If the time limit is 4 hours, and you have been putting in a reasonable amount of mileage weekly (15+), I'd think you could finish in under 4. Just not sure how comfortable you'll be walking the last 3 if you can only run/walk the first 10.

There is a difference between building up to something, and jumping to it suddenly. I ran 16 miles the week before my last half. Its not something to suggest to a newbie who doesn't have adequate training.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Do it. The worst that can happen is that you DNF by being too slow, the best that can happen is that you finish. Clearly you're not going for time, so just go for the experience.

I did my first half marathon in February and I was underprepared simply because I didn't know what to expect. I twisted my ankle not even half a mile in, but still limped my way through it (I'm very stubborn). The race route closed at 3:30:00, and I finished at 3:21:00. I was dead dead dead last, but do you know what? I didn't give a s**t. I still finished. My time was awful but I set a goal and I achieved it. My next half is in a little over a month and I know that I will do much better this time.

If you want to run it, do it. It's only scary until you start running. You don't have to run the whole way, I sure didn't, so don't feel pressured into going too hard. 2 and 1s sound perfect. Slow and steady, baby.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    * Note that I don't know what your training has been like for the last 3 months, though. Have you gone farther than 6.5 miles? You should try to get out and do a couple training runs without your stroller, if at all possible. I find it incredibly difficult to run with a stroller, personally, so you might find that you have better endurance without one.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I've done exactly this. Well, sort of worse since I didn't know I was running a half until I was standing in a corral.

....but sort of better because I'd actually run a full 7 miles, not run/walked it. It was pretty miserable. And by pretty, I mean it was REALLY miserable. But you can do it and probably you won't get kicked off the course. I am pretty slow and I scraped in just under the time limit.

It IS miserable. You're going to be plodding along and wishing for death or wishing you could run another half mile just to get the damn thing over with but you will try to run that half mile and fail because that's what happens when you go untrained.

But since your question was "can you finish in 4 hours" I'd say yes, you can.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Will failing miserably motivate you to do better or disgust you with the sport?
    How about the risk of injury and the weeks of setback?

I've done dumber things but I also have friends (and a daughter) that have given up on certain types of adventures because failure-too-big happened.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Here's something no one else has asked...

Does this race allow transfers or would you be running as her? Most races don't allow under the table bib transfers for safety reasons.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I did my first marathon with a half marathon under my belt, and no runs longer than 13 miles because of some calf injuries. I was really nervous about it, but was unable to switch to a shorter event. I finished in just under 5 hours and was incredibly sore for 3 days, but I'm so glad I went through with it. If you REALLY felt like you could do a few more miles after jogging with a stroller for 6.5, I think you're about ready for a half without a stroller. If you can, estimate your finish time from that 6.5 miler (just multiply by 2), and if there are pace groups, join up with one. They are there to help you. Kind of like a mobile support group.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If I was in your shoes I wouldn't do it (agree with what an earlier poster said about not being sure you can just show up with her bib and reg number on the day, so please do check). I totally get the temptation, but I think you're asking for injury/an unpleasant experience. I can run a comfy 55 minute 10K (or could before busting my hip) but I wouldn't go straight from that to a half. I'd wait for your event in the autumn if I was you.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I recall from training for my first half last year that I always noticed a big difference between 8-9 mile long runs and anything over 10. I could go strong to about mile 9, feeling really good. It was pushing past mile 10 that was really hard for me. It took a few attempts to finally reach 12 miles.

Personally, while I know you will want to do it (I would), and I also know that if it was me I would probably do it (I pushed myself for my first half as well), I don't think it's wise. I did wind up finding myself injured in the first couple weeks doing recovery runs after my first half. Part of the reason (or maybe even all of it) was that my musculoskeletal structures simply hadn't strengthened enough yet to take the pounding of my aggressive training schedule and that first half.

Hope all this advice helps. I suspect you could do it, especially run/walking. You know your body better than anyone here though, so you are the best to make the call, really.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do it. The worst that can happen is that you DNF by being too slow, the best that can happen is that you finish. Clearly you're not going for time, so just go for the experience.

This is not the worst thing that can happen. You could also seriously hurt yourself and that would suck.

I ran my first half with a friend. I trained, she didn't. It was a struggle, but I ran negative splits the whole way. She walked 7 miles and was miserable for a week.
    I'd recommend the 5K, then running the HM when you're more prepared. You definitely want it to be a pleasant experience.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do it. The worst that can happen is that you DNF by being too slow, the best that can happen is that you finish.

Worst thing that can happen is an injury.

It sounds like 6.5 miles is the exception, rather than the routine session.

fwiw I picked up Illiotibial Band Syndrome 12km into my first half, after finishing and having a coffee I could barely walk. The latter part was unpleasant, but at least I understand why it happened; overuse.

Mind you, 3:30 for a half sounds like absolute purgatory to me.