Scales Say I Weigh More - Clothes Say I Weigh Less?

Options
I was just curious if anyone else had this issue. Today, my scale says I weigh 10lb more than I did yesterday (I know weighing daily is bad, but it's still so tempting.) I know I can't gain 10lbs overnight, but that does seem like a lot of water or bloating. At the same time, I can definitely tell that my clothes are looser, so I know I have lost. I don't have a tape measure to know how many inches have been lost. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what could cause 10lbs of bloating? (I will be asking a doctor the second question, but I just wondered if anyone had any insight.) The only change there has been recently is that I was out of my anti-rejection drug for two days due to delivery mix up. I take this because I had a kidney transplant August 31 of last year, and I have an autoimmune disease that caused the kidney failure in the first place.

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I think that in your case, medication and kidneys are the explanation. For a transplant recipient, a large/sudden change in weight can be a sign that something is going seriously wrong. If you step on the scale tomorrow and see more gain, get yourself to the hospital. Even if things stay the same or only go down a little bit, you should be in touch with your medical team tomorrow.

I'm surprised that you aren't encouraged to weigh every day. I know that is is absolutely required immediately following transplant.

Are you having problems with Tacrolimus? I have a transplant patient in my family who has been struggling getting that drug--there is something strange going on with the manufacture.

• Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Tacrolimus was the medicine I couldn't get delivered. My dosage was changed on Monday, so the hospital was supposed to send me out a new prescription by Fed-Ex. It didn't arrive until 7:30pm on Friday. I didn't have any Wednesday night, all day Thursday, and Friday morning. I've felt bad ever since, and now there's this apparent 10lb weight gain. I mean, I'm having to force myself to eat because I'm not hungry, but I'm barely eating 1100-1300 calories (and measuring everything mind you). I know there's no reason for me to gain weight.
  • Lady_Grell
    Options
    I did weigh myself daily in the beginning, but I tapered off later because I didn't want to get too obsessed over the numbers. Now, I'm back at it because it's just so tempting when I see the scale.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I would argue that weighing every day gives you some important information that you need to help manage your health. It's not necessarily a bad thing--in order to keep that kidney healthy, you are going to have to be a bit obsessed for the rest of your life. Just keeping up with your medication schedule is a huge job.

Weigh yourself tomorrow, then call your doctor to see if there is anything else you should be doing to deal with having gone without the Tacrolimus for a few days. I imagine that they will tell you to be extra extra careful about exposing yourself to any kind of infection for a while. There may be other things that need to be done--don't panic, just make sure that you get good instructions on what to do from here.

I hope that things look better tomorrow. :) Thinking good thoughts for you.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Dumb question, but are you putting the scale in the same spot on your floor every time? 10lbs is a lot to fluctuate over the course of a day, are you getting your period? Did you have something very salty yesterday? Are you drinking enough water?

The average person fluctuates 1-3lbs per day and women can fluctuate 5-7lbs when we're on our periods. Having pizza always makes me "gain" 3 or so pounds by the next day (lol), but it goes away again by the next.
  • Lady_Grell
    Options
    The scale hasn't moved, and I don't think I'm getting my period. I just finished an extra long period that was 19 days long, so I better not be getting it again. (Appointment concerning that issue is on Tuesday.) Nothing particularly salty that I can think of, and I try to drink at least 6 if not 8 glasses of water.

I go back to the transplant clinic on Thursday either way. I need to tell them.
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    did you double check it or just step on it once? battery running low?
  • Lady_Grell
    Options
    It doesn't have a battery. My digital scale was ruined when my commode flooded while I was away, so I have an old fashioned scale at the moment. I double, tripled, quadruple checked. Still there this morning, but at least these pounds didn't bring along any friends.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Lady_Grell wrote: »
    It doesn't have a battery. My digital scale was ruined when my commode flooded while I was away, so I have an old fashioned scale at the moment. I double, tripled, quadruple checked. Still there this morning, but at least these pounds didn't bring along any friends.

That's good!

I was looking through some of the educational materials that I have from when my mother received a kidney, and listed under rejection symptoms is "Fluid retention/weight gain (2 pounds in 24 hours)."

I hate to even put that out there as a possibility, but the potential for that happening is why I was thinking that you should be in touch with your doctors right away.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    10 Lbs up from yesterday? I think your scale is broken.
  • Lady_Grell
    Options
    The scale is working just fine for my mother. I see my doctors on Thursday, but this morning there was another 3 lbs.