Gluten Free?

Options
good morning! I have a very newly developed gluten sensitivity. Does anyone else struggle with this? Any help/tips/recipes VERY appreciated

Replies

• kuntrygal
    kuntrygal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My daughter also has gluten sensitivity. Best advice for this moment- clean out your cabinets. Check for anything that lists wheat or has a cross contamination warning. Caramel color is sometimes made with a wheat by-product. Check your seasonings and sauces.
    We use this website when she needs medicines www.glutenfreedrugs.com
    When we eat out- www.findmeglutenfree.com is a huge help.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What do you mean newly developed? Are you saying you've been eating wheat all your life and all the sudden you've decided you are sensitive to it?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Perform a major clean of the kitchen: toaster, kitchen drawers, esp where you keep the cutlery. Consider replacing teflon cooking pans, cutting boards, . .
    (This depends on how sensitive you are.)
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a peek at my diary for ideas - it is open. I eat gf because of intolerance.

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    What do you mean newly developed? Are you saying you've been eating wheat all your life and all the sudden you've decided you are sensitive to it?

It is likely not 'newly developed' it probably has been a more subtle problem for a while and the symptom levels have just now reached a point where she doesn't want to deal with them anymore. Either they become painful or have begun to effect everyday life and function.

Yes, there are many people who jump on the 'gluten free' bandwagon but that doesn't mean we should undermine everyone. Especially with the understanding that sensitivities to certain foods do get worse.
  • caseyleeride
    caseyleeride Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I just stopped eating gluten after months of severe IBS and I'm feeling much better and my symptoms are finally under control! There are lots of things you can still eat, like leafy greens, fruits and veggies, brown rice, nuts and beans, polenta, etc. Focus on these staples---much cheaper than buying gluten-free versions of food!
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The same thing happened to my daughter at college. She started getting twitches and body tremors at school. It got so bad she went to the ER one night. She was on a sports scholarship and the tremors got so bad she had to stop playing her sport. The doctors didn't know what it was and luckily I got in touch with this doctor in Oklahoma who suggested she try a food elimination diet to see if it was a food allergy. She was right. It turned out to be a wheat and gluten intolerance disorder (many of my family members have celiacs disease too). We think she always had a mild case of it, but with the stress of college, and more fast food being eaten, it got accelerated.

She manages her diet just fine. She can have a piece of toast every once in a while but her diet is easily managed. There are a lot of foods out there and restaurant are no problem either if you choose the right restaurant. Eat natural foods, meat, vegeys ... shop more in the produce, meat and fresh vegey aisles. Also whole foods and Traders Joe's have tons of food to choose from.
  • Phoenixlife75
    Phoenixlife75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with what I thought was IBS for years. Only when I developed dermatitis herpatiformis, otherwise known as the gluten rash, did I discover that I was gluten intolerant. I've been gluten-free since December 2014. One of the best resources I have found is Gluten-free On a Shoestring. She gives excellent information & recipes. I especially like her "Better than cup 4 cup" GF flour recipe. GF flour is often gritty & doesn't rise well. My friends don't even know the difference & I love the way it bakes up. Also, a tip that was helpful to me, was the purchase of an electronic scale that could measure in grams as well as ounces.