loosing weight after cheat days?

Options
Ajocal18
Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been dieting, 1200 calories a day and doing 30-60 mins of cardio and 30 mins of weight training 5 times a week and have only lost 17.8 lbs in 43 days. I know this is supposed to be good and you should only loose 2 pounds a week but I feel like with the drastic lifestyle changes and the fact I started out 68lbs over weight it would be faster. Also I've noticed that I am only loosing weight on the days I cheat on my diet.For example I have cut out all carbs( excluding fruit and veggies) however over the last two or three weeks I will have a 100 calorie whole grain sandwich thin and loose 2lbs the next day. Also yesterday I ate my full calorie limit and then went out and had 3 or ten long islands lol. I weighed myself this morning and I lost a pound. So long story short is my weight loss slow or am I impatient and why do I lose weight when I throw my diet and excerise to the wind but see no results when I slave at the gym?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you think a 100 calorie whole grain sandwich is a cheat day, you have much bigger problems. I recommend seeing a doctor for your eating disorder.
  • Ajocal18
    Options
    Lol no I don't consider that a cheat, I actually meant to change the title. However its not part of my diet plan and when I do eat whole grain bread or let's say a cookie at work the following day is when I loose weight. Its never after days of consistently sticking to my diet and going to the gym.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. It will fluctuate daily. Your best bet is to weigh once a week instead. CICO is a sound science, so eating over your calorie allowance will not make you lose weight, but eating a cookie one day and weighing the next isn't a clear indicator of gains or losses. I would say it's normally fluctuating weight that just so happens to be lower after you eat something other than a restrictive diet.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ten long islands would make me lose weight because I would throw up everything I have ever eaten! My stomach always looks flatter after a night of drinking, I think it's just dehydration. Weight changes too much day to day to blame or praise food choices on one day for the next day's results. Just look for the downward trend over time, the daily ups and downs will drive you crazy if you let them.
  • Ajocal18
    Options
    Your probably right it just throws me off because I have gone down or maintained the previous days weight every morning so far which makes it easier to associate my weight loss with the previous days choices. I guess I should just be happy I haven't had a day where I gained yet ;)
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I usually drop a bunch of water weight after a night of drinking. I think the alcohol dehydrates the body and flushes out water, or something.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    17lbs in 43 days is an average of 2.8lbs/week. While higher than what MFP recommends (I suspect a huge drop at the beginning due to water weight, so I'm not too concerned about this rate of weight loss), it seems like you are on target to lose 2lbs/week. You didn't put weight on quickly; do it slow and steady, and appreciate the losses as they come. Weight loss doesn't happen in a day, and you wouldn't have hit your goal in 43 days. Don't get too frustrated; you're on a good track.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I usually drop a bunch of water weight after a night of drinking. I think the alcohol dehydrates the body and flushes out water, or something.

This. Even a single glass of wine with a couple slices of pizza will show a loss the next morning.