Cold Lunch Ideas

Options
helsbelshms
helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
Hi guys, I'm really struggling with cold lunch ideas. I'm fine with hot lunches, but coming into the summer months I'd rather eat cold lunches most of the time. I'm looking for something other than sandwiches, pastas and salad.

Ideas on different fillings for wraps would be good and I'm ok with a side salad but not as a meal, I don't like pasta and I'm not a fan of sandwiches. I'd love a good low(ish) cal crustless quiche recipe. Also, are there any meals you can make in bulk that would be ideal eaten cold?

I'm thinking of 300 - 500 calories for a meal and plenty of protein.

Replies

• chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/681634/helpyourself-tuna-rice-salad

This is a good one, you can make in bulk and the tuna has the protein, there's room for cheese too within that calorie allowance and if you have a whole tin of tuna per portion rather than what the recipe suggests you'll be getting lots of protein.
  • helsbelshms
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/681634/helpyourself-tuna-rice-salad

This is a good one, you can make in bulk and the tuna has the protein, there's room for cheese too within that calorie allowance and if you have a whole tin of tuna per portion rather than what the recipe suggests you'll be getting lots of protein.

I'll definitely give that a try, looks lovely.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I make a dish that is a cross between a stir fry and a risotto. The protein element can be anything you like - salmon, tuna, chicken, prawns. I stir fry the veggies and then add the rice. To make it "creamy" I add a low fat soft cheese. I then make extra and have it cold for lunch the next day. You can fit it into your own calorie allowance. It is delicious.
  • helsbelshms
    Options
    I make a dish that is a cross between a stir fry and a risotto. The protein element can be anything you like - salmon, tuna, chicken, prawns. I stir fry the veggies and then add the rice. To make it "creamy" I add a low fat soft cheese. I then make extra and have it cold for lunch the next day. You can fit it into your own calorie allowance. It is delicious.

Thank you, I've always wondered how I would make my stir fries into a cold meal for lunch. I have low fat garlic and herb soft cheese so, I'll give it a go.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    simple, but it works, add hard boiled eggs to whatever you are having and it adds great protein. I also mash mine up with a little honey mustard dressing and then I have egg salad without the mayo.
  • lessofheather
    lessofheather Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Summer rolls - roll rice paper wrappers around lettuce, herbs, chillies and a cooked protein like prawns, chicken or tofu - you can have or leave out rice noodles based on your own calorie goals

Skinny Ploughman's - pickles, cold meat or an egg, an apple and a piece of cheese - ditch the hunk of bread, serve with a green salad or even just a big wedge of lettuce and some carrot sticks

Mezze plate - some hummus, roasted vegetables (squash, sweet potato, courgette, peppers), falafel, feta, olives with plenty of rocket dressed in lemon juice (you need to be careful with measurements on these items as they can be oil packed and therefore calorie dense, but if you can make your own falafel and roast vegetables and choose brine-packed or natural for things like olives and feta, then it can be a really nice option.

How about chilled soup, like gazpacho?
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I keep cans of chicken breast & tuna in my desk (at work) and eat that with baby carrots and bell peppers. The bigger cans of chicken and tuna can be around 300 calories then eat the veggies like chips (raw/crunchy) and it usually comes to about 400+ calories.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ideas too so bump
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make the easiest crustless quiche: 4 pieces of center cut bacon cut and crisped, 8oz of cabbage, mushroom, or a mixture of veggies cooked in the bacon grease. Mix 4 eggs, 4 egg whites, 1/4 cup milk and salt and pepper and pout everything into a parchment lined cake pan, top with scallions, and bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until set. 1/4 quiche is around 140-150 calls depending on your veggies