Lost inches, but weight stayed the same

Options
Hello all,
I am aware of the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. I am also aware that when you start weight training you gain water weight.

My questions is: What would cause me to lose almost 0.8 inches everywhere on my body, but my weight stayed the same?

If I was gaining water weight, wouldn't my body measurements have stayed the same?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the water weight, but muscle takes up way less space than fat. If you lost 5lbs fat and gained 2lbs muscle and 3lbs water, you're gonna be smaller.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Natsume wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I am aware of the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. I am also aware that when you start weight training you gain water weight.

My questions is: What would cause me to lose almost 0.8 inches everywhere on my body, but my weight stayed the same?

If I was gaining water weight, wouldn't my body measurements have stayed the same?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat..it does however take up less room in your body.

Weight loss is not straight forward...any weight loss could be masked by sodium intake, time of the month or beginning/adding exercise. Just give it time :-)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    .8 inches everywhere is honestly within the error range for measuring inches. You could have measured looser at your first measurement.

Also possible- you've lost fat but you need to poop, so you're smaller but the scale doesn't reflect it. What kind of timeline are we talking about here? If it's been a few weeks, look at what you're eating, make sure you're logging accurately (food scale preferred) and give it a few more weeks.
  • Natsume
    Natsume Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Annavalente, I apologize. Muscle is more dense than fat. Poor word choice on my part. Thank you for the correction :)
  • Natsume
    Natsume Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    britishbroccoli, I last weighed and taped myself two weeks ago. I have been gradually changing my diet. I also am only on my second week of weight training. I have been doing circuit type training for the past month with my coworkers three days a week.

I already use a food scale. It helps to make my morning smoothies. I tend to forget to track my food when I am visiting with people over the weekend. I will open my diary. :)
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same. Muscle is more dense than fat, therefore, you might have not lost pounds, but you are trimmer hence the inches lost. Great job! I think losing inches is just as important as pounds. Keep it going and you will meet your goals! (edit for spelling)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It means you've lost FAT! That is what we are after so WIN!!! Smaller, leaner, stronger. keep up the great work.