Weight loss help

Options
I have had my thyroid removed and have gain thirty pounds. Trying to eat right and ex resize but feel it's doing nothing to help with weight loss

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food and eating at a deficit?
  • elizzabethmarie
    elizzabethmarie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for about ten years now, and type one diabetes for 18! I assume you're on synthroid or levothyroxine? Have your doctor do frequent blood work. I just saw mine yesterday, and he's proud of my weight loss but wants to see how my levels are so he can bump up my dosage and jump start my metabolism again. I think synthroid isn't as good as a functioning thyroid anyway, but keeping it in line or on the low side of normal will help a lot. It took me years, but I gained way too much weight, and only now am I making a big effort to get some of it off. I've lost twelve so far, but I'm looking at another seventy or more before I'm satisfied. It's definitely a struggle, but good luck.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would suggest making sure that your thyroid levels are stable. If they are:

I would recommend reading some of the stickies such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories. Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.
  • kattom
    kattom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am trying to log all my food. I have gotten better at it. I have many scales but I do t really use them. I get my thyroid levels check every 3 months and they are within the normal range, high # on the normal range. The higher the # the slower your metabolism. Thanks for all the advice.