Over 40 success stories -pics please!

Options
kimmy27848
kimmy27848 Posts: 34 Member
I am 47 and I'm having trouble losing weight. I have three children and managed to lose after each one, but it's definitely more difficult now. Looking for inspiration from people who've had some success!!

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    These are beginning and in progress pics. I'm 45 and have lost 16 lbs between these pics but 26 since Dec 31st. Calorie deficit, yoga, and strength training (which has made a huge difference in body shape). You can't see it in these clothes, but my waist is coming back!

IMG_5333_zpsrnefz3we.jpg
    25b96f2d-7fd4-4f60-b6d6-937bfbcb2ab1_zpsw42gikoq.jpg
  • kimmy27848
    Options
    That's great, you're really making progress! What kind of strength training are you doing? You're own body weight, or are you going to a gym and using weights and machines? Also do you eat back your activity calories? Sorry to inundate you with questions... just looking for guidance!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    No problem! I use TDEE -20%, which gives me around 1500 calories daily based on my total activity level. I have a regular exercise schedule and like having one number to worry about. I used to eat below that but my energy and lifting were suffering. I eat them all, now, and am still losing just fine along with feeling better overall and during my workouts.

I belong to the Y and go to yoga class twice a week, which is bodyweight. DH and I started Stronglifts 5x5 in mid February for strength training, which uses the barbell/weights, also twice a week. I walk my dogs (they are old, so not a challenge) and will use the rowing machine for warm-up or waiting for DH to finish his workout if we go together. That's pretty much it for dedicated exercise. I'm a stay-at-home mom and do a lot of cooking, cleaning, and some yard work.

I did use the weight machines at first, but read here how much better the workout is when you engage your stability muscles using free weights. I got the book "New Rules of Lifting for Life", for those of us a little older, but found the program to be a little complicated to remember. SL is very straightforward for a beginner, especially using the app, and has made the most difference in body composition of anything I've ever done and I LOVE it. When I want to move on from SL, I'll go back to the NROL book.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and couldn't agree more with ar9179 - strength training that engages your stability muscles (i.e compound exercises like deadlifts, bench press, push-ups, lunges, squats etc.) are the way to go. It really makes a difference and I feel that I am reversing the natural loss of muscle that comes with aging and that awful "disappearing waist" feature of menopause. I was doing strength training before but kind of going through the motions. Getting older isn't for sissies - fortunately really pushing yourself is also kind of fun! I lost about 25 lbs last year and have about 25 to go - the food intake part is more challenging for me but I do find logging on MFP keeps be honest and gets me back on track. One of the big motivators for me is that I know I'm getting stronger but if I don't lose the rest of the weight the muscle definition will be felt by me but not particularly visible to anyone else (of course, it would be great to have both).
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My success story is that I can now squat 100lbs (I'm also doing the 5x5 Strong lifts). At 46 I am the oldest woman who attends my Taekwondo club and I am going for my black belt next month. I have much more energy and can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    The photo on the left is not from the beginning (SW 244) but at 197 the photo on the right is pretty current at 150, I am 47 and 5'2".
    6872b2a9d92300437a1f459ffd9e0654_zps9tf45syo.jpg

I do cardio and body weight strength training.
  • kimmy27848
    Options
    So impressed by all of you! Seems that strength training is the way to go; you all seem so empowered by it. I'll confess that the simplicity of it sounds good to me too.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss when I was 48.5, I am 5'10, started at about 220 lbs. MFP was a huge factor in my success of losing 60 pounds in 6 months, and then another 12 or so the following six months. Then maintenance, and slow loss of a few more pounds, a couple years until last fall, when I got to 145. I love walking, hiking, mountain biking--so most of my exercise until last fall was cardio and I guess biking does a bit of resistance to your body.

Last fall I started weight lifting, using a personal trainer (so no defined program). I was 52.5 years old. I realize now that out of my 75 pounds lost earlier, probably 30 pounds of that was likely muscle, the rest probably fat. I thought I was doing just fine, really, but wanted to be a stronger mountain bike rider, so weight lifting over the winter was a good path.

And I have to say, weight lifting was a game-changer. I can't believe how great it feels, and how much it benefits my body. It's so good for women (of my age) to increase bone mass/density; help my core strengthen; build muscle instead of watching the slow progression of loss--there's just no down side.

Lesson here: I wish I would've started weight lifting earlier. It's much harder to build muscle than it is to keep what you've got. I would've most likely lost the weight at a much slower rate, but I would've retained more muscle mass and baseline strength.

There are a number of great discussion threads and groups for weight training here; look at the Stronglifts 5x5 for Women, and the Eat, Train, Progress groups to get more information.

I don't have any "after" photos of my weight training, because this past winter I've been on a slow bulk in order to gain muscle strength and mass, so I won't post the "before". I've gained 10 pounds over the winter, and am just starting a "cut," where I am now in a caloric deficit. I probably won't be seeing a lot of strength gains this summer, but I'll be maintaining my strength through continued lifting (but probably not progressively heavier weights). I'll start in another bulk season starting this fall, and spend NEXT winter getting even stronger!

So these pics are just of my weight loss using cardio/biking, over the course of a year.

Starting: about 220 lbs, age 48.5:

IMG_5188_zpsee3176f2.jpg

Probably at about 150-ish, age 49:
    08271168lbs_1_zps8f797886.jpg

Next fall, at age 53.5, I'll look even better once the cut/deficit helps me drop the fat and show more defined muscle!

kermit%20lift_zpsn5iayfbo.jpg

• kimmy27848
    Options
    Wow that's so inspirational. I can't imagine losing more than 50 pounds in 6 months; you must have been really dedicated and focussed. Thanks for the tips about the other threads... I will definitely check them out.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I started at 372 pounds about a month before my 44th birthday last May. 11 months later I am down just over 80 pounds. I still have a lot to go – I figure anywhere between 120-150 more, will see once I get there. ;)

Anyway, here are my "before" and "during" photos. I'm 5'8" tall and will be turning 45 in June. I figure it will take me another couple years to reach goal, but I am totally fine with that. Slow and steady wins! I'm not in a hurry.

494psz66ke22.jpg

jbul5gxqp2kn.jpg

prv67c57uc14.jpg

Amy
  • kimmy27848
    Options
    You look fantastic, and you've made great progress already! Did you find you had to drastically cut calories to lose?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!