What to eat before working out

Options
I'm currently working on the Couch to 5K running program -- it's a struggle! I like to work out first thing in the morning before eating, but seem to run out of steam faster when I exercise on an empty stomach.

Any suggestions on a light snack I can eat right before working out that will give me some quick energy? I do have a hard time eating early in the morning so I'm just really struggling with this! Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

Replies

• LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Before I run I always eat a banana. Anything too heavy make me cramp up during a run.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I personally perform better on fasted cardio, but sometimes I do wake up very hangry, so I'll have a spoonful of peanut butter or a banana.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I am running first thing in the morning, I will often eat 2-5 pieces of dried fruit (apricots) or a salad of greens dressed with lemon juice and a little bit of olive oil. The choice of what to eat before a run seems really personal though -- you should try several things and see what works best for you. My mom will have a piece of toast spread with a bit of jam. My brother won't have anything but coffee.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Before a run I have something light. Then once the run is over I eat something more filling. For me, eating too much before a run causes me to have stomach issues.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I normally have a Banana or an Apple......sometimes a piece of Toast with some Peanut Butter if i'm hungrier.