Heavy Lifting & Flexibility

Options
SToast
SToast Posts: 255 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So the local PD has a weight room that the officers and SO deputies can use. Being a spouse, I just found out I can use it as well. So I've decided I'm going to start SL5x5 since I've been interested in lifting for a while but have never used free weights. I figure it's a good place to start. Anyway... for you women who lift heavy, how do you maintain (or do you care to?) flexibility? See I do pole dance/fitness as well and a lot of the moves require a lot of flexibility. Now I understand I'm not going to get big and bulky or anything but I was just wondering if anyone found that they had to work harder to maintain flexibility.

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and I also pole dance, in fact I teach. I can dead lift 235 and can do the splits ;). Dancing helps for sure and I stretch everyday, morning and night, and practice my splits a few times a week. Just keep using it and you won't lose it.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller and do some stretching before and after every workout. I follow Strong Curves, and the stretching and warmups are pretty extensive. I am finding that my flexibility has improved and I seem to be less prone to injuries than I have been In the past. Strong Curves is heavy lifting with an emphasis on glute strength.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to lifting but have practiced yoga for a long time. I think my background with yoga is very helpful for having proper form and I don't find that lifting is hindering my yoga practice or vice versa. They help each other :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My mobility and flexibility has improved as a result of heavy weight lifting. Granted, I'm defining mobility in the confines which I need to be mobile/flexible. My shoulder mobility has improved from bench pressing. Mobility in my lower back and hamstrings has improved significantly from squatting and deadlifting and so has my hip mobility.

Before I started squatting and deadlifting (about 1 year into lifting with a combination of DB's and machines doing mostly isolation work before I knew what I was doing) I couldn't even come close to touching my toes stiff legged (barely past my knees) and now I can, without any direct flexibility training. Just a result of heavy lifting.

Pure anecdote, I know.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Strength is not the enemy of flexibility. Keep doing whatever you're doing to maintain/increase flexibility and there won't be an issue.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights shouldn't have anything to do with losing flexibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSf1BFRcdxo
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    My mobility and flexibility has improved as a result of heavy weight lifting. Granted, I'm defining mobility in the confines which I need to be mobile/flexible. My shoulder mobility has improved from bench pressing. Mobility in my lower back and hamstrings has improved significantly from squatting and deadlifting and so has my hip mobility.

Before I started squatting and deadlifting (about 1 year into lifting with a combination of DB's and machines doing mostly isolation work before I knew what I was doing) I couldn't even come close to touching my toes stiff legged (barely past my knees) and now I can, without any direct flexibility training. Just a result of heavy lifting.

Pure anecdote, I know.

I've got to agree with this. I'm plenty flexible enough without any real flexibility work, for what I need.

• chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    At first I didn't find my flexibility was affected but it is definitely getting to that stage now so I am just doing more stretches and focusing more on warming up and it seems to be working!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I lift and I'm a MA.

Flexibility is not an issue.

If you develop it and use it, you'll retain/increase it. If you neglect it, it'll deteriorate.

It's just like any other quality: c-v fitness, strength, power, speed, etc. Work on (and keep working on it in a consistent and intelligent manner) and it'll prosper. Neglect it - it'll shrivel and die...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights can reduce flexibility if you don’t put in time to maintain it. Where it usually happens is when you’re not using full range of motion, or have movement patterns that emphasize one side of a force pair (e.g., over developing quads over hamstrings). Have a good self-myofascial release/stretching program and stick to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any impact on my flexibility over the last 9 months, I always stretch after training
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,267 Member
    Options
    A friend at the gym is a competitive pole dancer and lifts regularly, she hasn't had flexibility issues but has had some problems with her shoulders.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started 5x5 in mid Feb. I foam roll and go to yoga class 2x a week. Rolling is awesome, like getting a massage.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    @ar9179 Hey, I've started 5x5 just this morning. Want to share your results you've had until now?
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've got a foam roller on order from amazon.com right now. Several in the pole community recommended one as well as you guys here. The whole reason I decided to get into lifting is because of pole actually. I keep finding definition in muscles I didn't know I had. Which made me realize that, while I've never had a big problem with my weight, I wasn't in great shape either. Seeing the muscle definition and being physically stronger is addicting. Which brings me to heavy lifting :)
  • ar9179
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    @ar9179 Hey, I've started 5x5 just this morning. Want to share your results you've had until now?

Hmmm, I'm still pretty pudgy so the muscle definition has a nice layer over it! I started at the weights prescribed for the newbie and completed the following. I'm 5'3" and do it 2x a week, start date 2/10. My deficit kinda wrecks my progression. Can't wait until maintenance!

Squat 100
    OHP 65 failing last rep on sets 3&4
    DL 165 1x4
    BP 80 lbs but failing on last reps after the first set
    Row 80 lbs 5x5

I've lost 27 lbs since 12/31 but didn't see much improvement with how I looked until after starting SL. The inches have been melting off like magic. Went from tight 18 in Dec to 16. After starting SL, have gone down to 14 and some 12s...I'm short-waisted and apple shaped when I gain so waist bands are my nemesis. I do have a size 12 dress that fits fine except for the boobs...very tight in the chest.
    I've found that I can fit in sizes that I wore when I weighed much less. That. Is. Awesome.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped a ton with my flexibility with lifting. I use to have a hard time with my squats - tight hips and hamstrings, so I have included yoga into my weekly routine and now my range of motion is so much better with no injuries.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have always been very flexible, but I found myself becoming tight and stiff after lifting. The stiffness would impede my flexibility. I started taking yoga. Just once a week. This has made a world of a difference.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I do strong lifts and 3 hours a week of Taekwondo. In our tkd sessions we spend the first 15-20 minutes stretching and I can almost do a side split. Yay!!!
  • ar9179
    Options
    During yoga today, I realized that my mobility has increased since starting SL. I used to have VERY tight muscles in my neck, shoulder, chest, and back that required weekly chiropractic visits for back pain/numb arm - even while practicing yoga. When first trying to squat with the bar, my chest muscles would practically scream at me while holding it. As time has passed, that sensation has disappeared. Overall, stressing the muscles with strength training has allowed them to release a lot of tension and my old pain issues are gone.
    Also, my core strength has improved from the bracing required. I can hold more advanced yoga poses for longer and see progress every week. They are very complementary workouts.