Fast Food Help!

Options
Im new to MFP and need some suggestions for fast food places with low calorie healthy meals. Im a mom of 2 and sometimes oour schedule doesnt allow for a cooked meal every night. I want to be able to include eating better as a lifestyle and not just shirt term dieting.

Any suggestions of foods to try that are truly healthy?

Replies

• mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    the most common response on this website will be people telling you to not eat fast food at all. however, there are several options in the fast food world right now that are healthy. mcdonalds = grilled chicken snack wraps, egg mcmuffins, fruit & yogurt parfait, apples, milk, salads. beware of their chicken sandwiches. not a good options. if you must ALWAYS make sure to get grilled chicken ALWAYS. stay away from cheeses. order iced tea, water, or diet soda. jack in the box has a really good chicken fajita pita. without cheese its at under 300 calories, and so good! taco bell has the drive-thru diet. which is pretty much just their tacos, burritos, and soft tacos without cheese but it comes with a fiesta salsa that has tomatos and onions in it. carl's jr has the new turkey burgers that are about 500 calories.

just make good choices and you should be fine. :)
  • jourkam28
    jourkam28 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks, I understand staying away from fast foods but if I shall go to one of those places, I want to know what types of foods are safe....your response was very helpful.
  • geraintf
    geraintf Posts: 15
    Options
    Maybe if you have having trouble finding time to cook regularly you can just make larger potions of food when you do cook and then freeze it. Just defrost in the microwave for a couple of minutes and enjoy...sure it doesn't taste as good as if it were fresh but hey! thats what you get for being healthy!!
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine every once in a while getting salads from fast food places. I don't see any problem with that!
  • jourkam28
    Options
    That's a different issue, I'm not a fan of cooking as I don't really know what I'm doing. ;-)
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I have a little note taped to my visor that has the top 2 "healthiest" choicest at several chain fast food restaurants. That way if soccer practice goes long or softball gets rain delayed asn we wont make it home in time I don't have to think about my choices. I just look at thte list.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the websites of your favorite places to eat and see if they publish their nutrition information.

One of my favorite fast food meals - Chick-fil-a Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich with a fruit cup and a diet coke. Just 360 calories, but watch out for the sodium.

Subway is good about promoting their healthy options.

Don't assume that it's healthy just because it's a cold cut sandwich. Mayonnaise or sauces can really pack a punch. I was amazed (in a bad way) when I looked up my favorite Panera sandwich.

ETA: Panera does have good healthy options. Their smoked turkey sandwich is great. But my favorite unfortunately is not one of those low cal options!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Salads are good as long as they use grilled chicken and not fried or "crispy". Stay away from additions like tortilla chips or crispy straws and use low fat dressing!

However, I always opt for a plain hamburger! With only lettuce tomatoes onion ketchup and mustard. No cheese, no mayo, no 'special sauces'.

Arby's regular and Jr. Roast Beef sandwiches (plain) are also a not so bad choice.

If I am reaaaaaally craving McDonalds (its all about those fries!) I will order a hamburger happy meal! The portions are small and its really not that high in calories!
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am not going to tell you not to eat fast food, because frankly that is not realistic in these days. Fast Food salads are usually NOT the way to go. They pile so much other junk on top that it negates the benefits of eating vegetables, just look at the nutrition information. I usually go for the grilled chicken sandwiches with NO MAYO. I like Burger King's tendergrill, I eat it with 1/2 of the bun and with the apple fries. Good luck!!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
  • jourkam28
    Options
    Thanks all! My schedule is very hectid with 2 small kids in various activities and working full time, I don't always have evenings to cook and don't want to stress myself out and eventually give in to temptation. I was able to look up information online to determine the nutritional value. Surprisingly, one of our fav spots - Chic Fil A, grilled chicken sandwich (plain) is ony 230 calories.
    Also, I agree that the salads arent always necessarily healthy.