Gaining Three Pounds in Maintenance Mode!?

Options
Last week, I stuck to a 1200 Cal diet, with min exercise burn of 200 Cal, and I lost 3 lbs! I was so happy and motivated! But the weekend came along, and we were invited to a cook out Sat and Sunday. I tried to control my portions and stay on track to loose .5/week, or at least maintain my weight, but I weighed in this morning and had gained those three pounds back! Even if I did under estimate how much I ate, there is no way I ate over 2600, which is my Cal estimate for gaining just 1 lbs/week. What went wrong? Was the weight loss superficial? Or is the gain nothing to worry about if I stay on track this week? Is it possible that the calories they suggest for weight maintenance too much? I want to know a good maintenance plan for weekends!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    As you say, there's no way you ate that many calories. It's just water weight. We all fluctuate by several pounds everyday, especially so if you've eaten a lot of salty foods, which you may have done at your cook out (since salt makes us retain water). It's not permanent, it'll be gone in a day or two.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    water weight fluctuates up to 10lbs based on sodium, change up in exercise, hormones

if you're doing the right stuff then don't sweat the day to day

if it helps I was up 5lbs on Sunday due to TOM and a picnic with friends on Saturday .. this morning I'm down 2 of those extras and by the end of the week I'm pretty confident the remaining 3lbs (at least) will have gone

• MrsClevenger11
    MrsClevenger11 Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks, DemoraFairy and rabbitjb. That makes sense. I was hoping to loose more than just the water weight this week, though. :/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you may well do - you're looking at 2 days - you need to look at your average over 6-8 weeks to smooth out the natural fluctuations
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    weight will always fluctuate and thats likely what has happened in your case, keep up the great work, weigh in a few days time again and all will be well :smile:
    I fluctuate up to 4lbs in any week due to sodium or TOM or simply just not drinking enough water.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about a general trend, not just one day/week to the next. Keep eating, keep logging, keep exercising and you will reach your goal!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance since February. This has been the last few weeks for me. Anything can cause weight gain that isn't fat. I know for a fact mine isn't, but between TOM, sodium amounts and the lack of water I've been drinking and starting a new weight lifting routine and adding more miles to my runs, I know what it is. Just takes time to get it all to adjust.

93ojseq1vd49.jpg
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    Are you eating enough? How do you need 1200 calories to lose weight and 2600 to gain? That seems like a very significant difference. If you are eating at too much of a deficit you will definitely gain the weight or keep the weight on because your body will store all of the fat rather than burn it.

If you consumed a lot of sodium though just drink a few extra glasses of water and you should be good to go! You can overeat on sodium on occasion and flush your system just don't get into the habit or your body will adjust and it won't work!
  • MrsClevenger11
    MrsClevenger11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This info will help me keep on track. I'll drink some water and keep on going! :)