seriously tried for 5 days and gained 5 lbs.

Options
Ok so I tried for 5 days. I suck at this. I was just under or a hair over my calorie goal and still managed to gain 5lbs. This is seriously defeating.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    1. Can you please open your diary?
    2. Do you use a food scale?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

Are you working out? Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Stats? (Age, height, current weight, goal weight loss per week, calories...)

If you gained 5 lbs in 5 days, you are eating more than you think.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok so I tried for 5 days. I suck at this. I was just under or a hair over my calorie goal and still managed to gain 5lbs. This is seriously defeating.

5 whole days? And how long did it take you to gain the weight you want to lose?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You need more than 5 days to see anything. Your body weight can fluctuate a good 3-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention/release, more/less waste in your system, etc. There's more to the scale and your body weight than just fat...you're going to need to get a grip on that first and foremost.

This is all a process and you're going to have to look beyond a handful of days. Also, when you weigh in you should be doing some on the same day at roughly the same time and roughly the same conditions. This might sound stupid, but are you weighing in with clothes on? Did you eat a meal? Did you drink a lot of fluids? Did you use the restroom?

In general I agree...but it's pretty much mathematically impossible to put on 5 Lbs of fat in a week.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

If she gained 5 lbs in those 5 days, it's probably just as well she's asking for help now. It's not like she just didn't lose or something.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You need more than 5 days to see anything. Your body weight can fluctuate a good 3-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention/release, more/less waste in your system, etc. There's more to the scale and your body weight than just fat...you're going to need to get a grip on that first and foremost.

This is all a process and you're going to have to look beyond a handful of days. Also, when you weigh in you should be doing some on the same day at roughly the same time and roughly the same conditions. This might sound stupid, but are you weighing in with clothes on? Did you eat a meal? Did you drink a lot of fluids? Did you use the restroom?

In general I agree...but it's pretty much mathematically impossible to put on 5 Lbs of fat in a week.

I agree, but it's not going to be 5 lbs of water retention either, probably a mix of regular fluctuations, water weight, and fat, if I had to guess.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If she gained 5 lbs in those 5 days, it's probably just as well she's asking for help now. It's not like she just didn't lose or something.

It'll be water weight that OP gained... My point is, weight fluctuates so it takes longer than 5 days to see results...
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I gain 5 pounds of water weight before my period starts, could that be the same case with you?.

Just keep at it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I agree, but it's not going to be 5 lbs of water retention either, probably a mix of regular fluctuations, water weight, and fat, if I had to guess.

I'm up 5 Lbs from Saturday...none of it's fat. Most people can fluctuate 3-5 Lbs day to day. Who knows, maybe the OP is weighing in wearing clothes and OP had lighter clothes on 5 days ago...maybe 5 days ago OP had used the restroom before weighing in...maybe 5 days ago the OP weighed in first thing in the morning and this time OP weighed in the afternoon or evening.

There's about a million different things that can be going on, and 5 days is really nothing.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can do up to 10lb in water weight when I've my period...I keep a chart and spreadsheet, so long as my overall trend is downward I try not to be too uspet about the spikes.

With no more infomation it is quite difficult to suggest helpful things other than weigh all food and measure all liquid and give it some time!
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Keep trying! Don't give up!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    As others have stated there could be a million reasons why one might be up 5 pounds in a week. Five days isn't long enough, it takes at least three weeks to notice any real difference. Keep at it...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound of fat. There's no way you could have been close to your MFP calorie goal and still have eaten 17,500 (3500 x 5) extra calories in 5 days. So, either you are kidding us and you ate everything in sight for 5 days straight (LOL!) or you didn't gain 5 pounds of fat and instead are simply retaining some water. I'm betting on the water.

Seriously, our bodies retain and release water constantly. I can easily gain or lose several pounds of water from day to day. Hormonal fluctuations, heavy exercise sessions and too much sodium will all cause water retention.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That's what? A 2.xkg fluctuation? NO need to worry.

I've only recently started eating better and exercising again and the first 2 weeks hardly anything happened. Now I'm beginning to lose. There are different reasons why you might have "gained" weight. It could be water retention. Or maybe you've been eating a lot more vegetables and your digestive system might not have been able to work properly because of the abrupt change. Or you haven't been logging properly and overate significantly. It would help a lot if we could see your diary.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself when I get my period (like now) because it makes it seem as though I've gained 5 pounds. Water weight can be annoying, and not just caused by that special monthly uninvited guest. But I decided to post here because while this site is a good tool, you have to kind of over estimate what you're eating and under estimate what it tells you you should be eating. I think it has my total daily calorie intake too high, so I don't eat back the calories it gives me from exercise. If I don't do any exercise at all, I try to go about 200 calories below what it says I need. Overall, since March 1, I have lost 13 pounds so the calories in-calories out does work. I wasn't using this site up until about 3 days ago when I got an email, so using my own calculations, I was doing fine. This site makes it much easier than an excel spreadsheet though. :)

Just adjust your daily caloric intake a bit or do a little more physical activity and you will lose weight. It's simple math. And don't even worry about the scale until you're at least 2 weeks in because it will cause you to quickly get frustrated.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • Ckminnie
    Ckminnie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself at the same time every day? I find I'm often a good 5 lbs heavier in the evening than I was in the morning.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you started heavy intense exercise at the same time? I often gain weight when I start a new exercise routine especially if I am sore. Your muscles retain water for healing purposes. Give it a bit more time and as stated above make sure you are measuring and weighing your food. My portions were horrible until I pulled out my measuring cups and got even better when I bought a scale.