Fruit & Veggies

Options
So, I am getting back on track today with journaling everything that goes in my mouth.. the only exception I make is not logging fruit and/or veggies. I am partially using Weight Watchers, is this ok to do???

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP, you log everything with calories. That's everything that isn't water. A banana can have 100 calories, corn on the cob can have 100, a punnet of grapes has 500!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you get the results you want then it's fine. But keep in mind that WW gets away with the unlimited veg thing by setting your initial goals a little lower to make up for it. MFP doesn't do that. If you stop losing or aren't losing at the pace you want, you'll likely have to reevaluate.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you do log them. They certainly have calories. And you can overeat on them. Remember just 50 calories a day over goal can have an effect on your results over a week's time. :)

I snack on raw veggies, and usually they take up 100 calories of my day. If you multiply that by 7, that's 700 calories!
  • sandicat6
    sandicat6 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm with just about everyone. log everything!!
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Especially be careful of not counting fruit or anything you eat with the veggies (cooking oils, dressing, etc.)... If you skate too close to your calorie allowance and eat exercise calories back, not logging veggies (even plain, raw ones) could prevent you from achieving a deficit...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I've just eaten a banana with more calories than a 'serving' (6 pieces) of Green and Blacks blood orange milk chocolate. 118 vs 110.

So yeah, everything counts, log 'em all.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    WW also gives you a much lower calorie goal to account for the fact you're supposed to be eating a lot of fruits and veggies to supplement it. If you're eating at your MFP calorie goal then 400-500 calories of fruits and veggies on top of that you're going to gain not lose.

Personally I also like to be sure I'm reaching all my protein, fiber, etc... goals so if I'm not logging half of what I eat I can't be accurate in my diary.
  • MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers try to make it easy, but any serious plan will log all of your food with a very small caloric window for leaving things out (celery, mustard, hot sauce, or things less than 10 calories).
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    a punnet of grapes has 500!

So that's what it's called! I learned something new today.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    And yes, OP, you must log everything! Fruits and veggies have calories too. You'll get a very skewed logging if you omit them, WW or no.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Two different systems. Either use MFP and log all the foods or use WW and follow their system. (Do they still use points?)
  • spacey07
    spacey07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    awesome!! thanks all for the help.. i will not use WW and just everything I eat or drink.. not sure why, but lately I have been struggling losing. Granted, I haven't been exercising, but I really don't eat poorly and it does become frustrating!