How do you guys do your at home work outs?

Options
I dont know what it is Ive tried doing some DVDs at home and Im going to be honest I hate excercising in my house. I dont have a gym in there so its usually in my living room or basement. Just wondering how you guys do it? Do you have a special place in your house? What keeps you motivated? I dont know mabe Im just wierd.

Replies

• cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have an area set up in my basement with all my equipment, DVDs, etc. I think that you have to find some workouts that you like to do and make it a habit. It might take some trial and error to figure out what works for you, but you can do it!

Before we bought our house I would have to exercise in the living room of our apartment, and my husband would be there on his computer. It felt a bit weird, though I sorta got used to it. I much prefer having my own space in the basement where I can be by myself and do my workouts.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used to hate workouts at home too, but, I live alone, and have enough room to do most in my living room.... so I just invested in a wide range of dvd's in difficulty and length... I have a gym membership, but some mornings I just like to save the time of the trip and just get it over with!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I workout a lot at home. I have an exercise bike in the office. I like to sit on it and read a book while using it. I also will do jumping jacks, jump rope, running in place... I have the 30 Day Shred video that I use sometimes. I also have a wii, so I play the game Just Dance 2 a LOT! Periodically through the day...I go outside and walk at a fast pace and jog (I'm doing the couch to 5K plan from www.c25k.com). I also have a bike for biking outside. There's so much to do! Sometimes I just walk in place while I watch TV lol.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have a place in the basement devoted to working out.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I also have an area set up in my basement.

I find it's more of a "I have other things I could be doing" type of mindset I have rather than I don't like working out in my house. I mean, last night's episode of Glee is on Hulu........

So, I find I'm better doing it right away in the AM or as soon as I get home from work without even giving myself time to think of other options......
  • peimomof2
    peimomof2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You're not weird. I thought the only place to work out was at the gym, but now i workout at home all the time. I do still workout at the gym too! I workout in the tv room, it's not a big room, i just rearrange a couple of small pieces of furniture, and away i go.:flowerforyou:
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    My basement has weight bench, dumb bells, curl bar, yoga mat, TV, DVD player and I guess that's about it. For weights I play music so I bring my iPad down with me. My bike with the trainer is down there too. I could watch TV if I wanted to while down there but I like music better. For my DVD's...well, I just suck it up and do them. I don't think it's where I work out that motivates me but what comes out of working out. Everyone is different in that aspect.

Also, it's easier to go down with a plan when you work out. So before I go to basement I have either a physical list or list in my head that says I'm doing this and this tonight at this many reps and this weight. Then I just do it. Before I know it, my work out is over.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I have a set up in the basement; my elliptical, tv with cable, stereo with DVD's and weight and ab lounge equipment and when I get bored with the TV I turn on the stereo or move on to exercise TV with one of my favorite "old skool" DVD's or do weights; just change it up and you will be fine.
    Go for a jog around the neighborhood, walk a mile or two once a week; doing something different every day helps me and I don't go to a gym. I do go to Zumba class once a week for a hour and that helps break things up to.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment so I work out in my living room or my bedroom when there are too many around in the living room (Im a mother of 4). Like the first poster mentioned.. I sometimes work out in the living room while hubby is on the comp.. kind of uncomfortable at first but after awhile I was like oh well Im gonna do it for me and not worry about what he thinks lol. I use exercise tv on demand most of the time so I have to use my living room :/ wish I had a basement or some sort.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    We have a spare room that just has a tv/dvd player and couple other exericse equipment. I use that room and if I feel I need no distractions I just shut the door. You have to find workouts that you enjoy... I am doing turbo fire and love it! Collagevideo has a wide variety of exercise videos so you might want to check it out!
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do it in the living room when my little girl goes to sleep and my husband is still at work or my husband is home and is playing on his computer behind me. I just think about that girl I used to be at 125 size 4 pants and then I work harder. I just pretend my husband is not there and do it! :D
  • mblanke2000
    mblanke2000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a room where I have an ellpitical and stationary bike. Because of my knee problems I can't do the videos. I am not much of a fan of working out, but I know that it is something I need to do. I have three small kids ages 9,5 and 3. plus my husband works nights. So my time to workout is after dinner around 7pm. He has been good at occupying the kids and I put my ipod on and listen to my music. You just have to find what is comfortable for you. Just start out small. Find a video you really like if you like doing videos. Turbo Jam is a fun on if you like to kinda dance. Had to give that one up because of my knees. Good luck!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Like everyone is saying you have to find the workout that works for you that you look forward to getting up and doing. I workout in my apt in front of my roommate or when he is at work doesnt matter I wont be criticized for getting in better shape. I use Jillian Michaels its a short workout and I LOVED them so it was something I enjoyed doing daily. I am giving my body a break from her workout for now so its hard keeping with a routine now, cause nothing has held my attention. I enjoy walking outside early in the morning before it gets hot. At another place I lived I had a exercise bike I used I set it up in front of my tv and would put on an hour long show or movie and bike til it went off ( I love movies) so that motivated me to do something active but I was still enjoying my other fav past time.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have a workout room in my basement, with my weight machines, my bike, my tv and dvd players. It's a perfect spot to be for just me!!!