Potassium???

Options
mfp says I should have 3500mg of potassium a day but I'm never close to that. Is that bad? What does potassium do for the body?

Replies

• bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The short answer - helps your body use amino acids, and assists in neurological function. Grab a banana, or eat a potato.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The relevant answer: MFP does a BAD job tracking potassium. The most likely explanation is that you're tracking a lot of foods that show up as having zero potassium. That's usually an error. Even a cup of black coffee has like half as much potassium as is in a banana. Very little food actually has zero potassium.

MFP undercounts substantially unless you're very, very, very good at using the tool, navigating the database, and finding accurate entries.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    One of the things it does is helps keep the water in the cells properly balanced. Most people eat less potassium than they should.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this as well! Good to have some answers
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, it's not a requirement to list potassium on food labels. So your probably getting a lot more than mfp is telling you...
  • davefh0_0
    davefh0_0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, the mfp community is always great :)
  • psymom3301
    psymom3301 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Potassium also helps with proper functioning of the heart. Essential to healthy cardiac rythum. Deficiency can cause kidney failure and muscle weakness. Excessive deficiencies lead to heart attacks so potassium is very important to monitor for good health.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    davefh0_0 wrote: »
    mfp says I should have 3500mg of potassium a day but I'm never close to that. Is that bad? What does potassium do for the body?

I wasn't sure whether to go ahead and post a reply, given the useful link that bluworld had posted... and I didn't know whether my conveying some info regarding potassium might seem like 'too much'... but I did want to 'shine a spotlight' on its critical role in cardiac function, along with posting about my experience in seeing per-MFP potassium levels that didn't reflect the reality of my consumption... and so... I've (now) decided to go ahead and post what I wrote yesterday (but which I'd originally 'held off' on sending along)... and my apologies to anyone who might consider this post TL:DR -- go ahead and bypass... it's obviously anyone's prerogative to 'skip at will'...

Potassium is one of the unheralded 'superheroes' in the body, what with it seemingly not 'getting its due', despite its crucial roles in mediating electrical 'action potentials' of nerve and muscle cells -- and in particular, the muscle cells of the heart. Potassium's roles in the body -- which are often actioned 'in concert with' other ion 'dance partners' (Sodium, Calcium, and Magnesium, in particular)) -- result in signal conduction, muscle contraction, and various electrical gradient and ion channel -specific aspects of function that are absolutely vital to the human body.

Also (and perhaps not surprisingly, when viewed in the context of its role in cardiac function, as well as its role in maintaining proper intracellular and extracellular fluid balance (let alone, transmembrane transport)), Potassium plays a role in blood pressure -- and is subject to depletion in conjunction with heart medications, blood pressure medications, and diuretics (among other medications that affect the heart, blood pressure, and/or fluid balance).

All that being said... one of *the* most important roles of potassium in the body involves its absolutely criticial role in cardiac function, and the regulation of the heartbeat... among other specifics relevant to such, it's a key ion involved in what's known as cardiac repolarization.

Low potassium is referred to as "hypokalemia", and one of the 'signs'/'symptoms' of hypokalemia (and specifically, when levels are below a specific threshold) is cardiac arrhythmia and/or premature ventricular or atrial contractions (which result in out-of-rhythm premature 'beats').

And hypokalemia taken to an extreme can result in cardiac arrest, given that there isn't enough potassium to 'allow for' cardiac repolarization -- and without repolarization, the heart stops (which is why cardiac arrest has been a cause of death for some anorexic/bulimics -- whose purging and/or laxative abuse can result in such ongoing, sustained, and frequent fluid loss, that electrolyte imbalance can get to a point at which potassium depletion becomes the pivotal factor in death occurring).

In fact, the shocking-to-the-world-at-the-time death of the singer Karen Carpenter, at the age of 32, involved an official cause of death which stated, "heartbeat irregularities brought on by chemical imbalances associated with anorexia nervosa."

Cardiac arrest due to hypokalemia is also, at times, the first 'near fatal warning shot' 'fired by' the body, in the wake of anorexia's highly destructive toll.

The following is an abstract of a medical case report involving a 16-year-old who experienced cardiac arrest, as a result of hypokalemia, which was due to anorectic purging --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Oct 3;2013. pii: bcr2013200876. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-200876.

Cardiac arrest: first presentation of anorexia nervosa.

Ewan SL1, Moynihan PC.

Abstract

A 16-year-old girl collapsed in cardiac arrest in a hospital car park. Investigations revealed a potassium level of 1.8. Following a 5-day intensive care unit admission she described behaviours consistent with restrictive-purging type anorexia nervosa, which had been concealed from her parents and health professionals. Long-term management has been difficult due to poor patient engagement. Further, recurrent episodes of hypokalaemia continue to feature. Here we explore the cardiac complications of anorexia nervosa and challenges with long-term management of this condition.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With respect to the MFP database...

There are various entries in the database which were input by members, and were somehow implemented by said members without typing in the potassium values (I have to wonder whether some folks just type in what they consider to be 'all that matters' to *them*, and yet make the record available for others to use, but without any 'warning' that it's incomplete).

In addition to that type of 'errant information' -based 'contribution' to the misleading and false-to-an-unknown-degree values that we might find, when taking a peek at 'how we're doing', when it comes to whether we're getting enough potassium (relative to the goal-based level configured in the MFP tools), there is also the reality that some dairy products do not -- and for whatever reason -- include mention of their potassium content, and despite the fact that they DO contain potassium, and are, in fact, a great source of such.

Several leading yogurt manufacturers have products which do NOT give any hint on their packaging that the product contains potassium -- so even if the nutrient information regarding such products were grabbed from a third-party database which had been populated with nutrition facts from manufacturers' labels... OR had been scanned with a mobile device (and whether by MFP members or personnel)... utilization of such missing-Potassium-specs information, in conjunction with an MFP Food Diary, would result in our not having a true or reliable 'take' on what our Potassium consumption had been, in light of the 'potassium-specification potholes' that exist for various products.

What I did... after having taken an initial peek at my Potassium info, and thinking, "what the...?" (I couldn't help wondering, after seeing how much I supposedly sucked at Potassium consumption, why it was that I didn't seem to be experiencing any problems associated with the supposedly next-to-nil consumption thereof -- let alone, how had I accomplished such a seemingly difficult 'task', in somehow magically 'tip-toeing around' practically anything which contained Potassium (as though I were some sort of 'Potassium Absence Whisperer', or some such marvel whose inherent ability to sidestep 'all things Potassium' should perhaps be studied by medical science ;) )).

I looked at various labels of things that I consumed, and after seeing the Potassium info on some labels, I then looked at the details of the associated shouldn't-have-trusted-them entries in the database -- and saw some problems...

...and so... I did two things... I not only ended up creating some new records, with an explicit mention in the 'name' of each record that the information was Complete and From the Label, but before creating new records for the yogurts I eat, and such that their missing-from-a-label Potassium content was reflected in the records (after I'd looked up what the values for given quantities of such should be), I found Potassium-corrective/added records in the database that had been created by others, and with 'names' that explicitly mentioned such -- and after double-checking the info, I found records I could use...

...and OH, how those per-the-tracking Potassium levels 'suddenly skyrocketed'... ;)

Lastly... as with so many nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, organs, biochemical and bioelectrical processes, etc. -- I sometimes wish there were a special "Let's Celebrate Potassium" -like Day, and for so many of the 'heroes' of vital-to-the-human-body-functioning pricelessness, so that we could all be reminded of what various aspects of the body 'do for us' (the brain might have to have its own 'Week' ;) )...
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Most people think that the only sources of potassium come from fruits and veggies. One chicken breast has about 1100mg. Protein foods like beef, chicken, pork, fish all have abundant potassium. In the healthcare field, we don't see patients diagnosed with hypokalemia unless in is caused by medication (potassium-depleting diuretics, for example) or from an underlying serious medical condition (kidney problems, heart problems or metabolic problems). Chronic watery diarrhea can cause a low potassium too, but it has to be due from something serious like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, etc. And not just because you have a stomach virus for a day or 2. I agree with other comments here. MFP will probably under-report your potassium intake. Avocados have 1000mg vs. banana which has only about 300mg. Black, brewed coffee even has potassium...good point, Sympha01. ;)

Meeting your potassium goals for the day/week shouldn't be a problem unless you have a serious medical condition or if you're on the "Tic-Tac and hot tea diet". LOL

You're friendly Dietitian
    Jenn
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've just gone and checked some food labels in my pantry. The majority do not list potassium in the nutritional profile. Now, that could be because the food contains no potassium or the manufacture just omitted it...
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've just gone and checked some food labels in my pantry. The majority do not list potassium in the nutritional profile. Now, that could be because the food contains no potassium or the manufacture just omitted it...

A while back, I noticed that some chocolate milk I drank had potassium listed on the label... and given my desire to drink some milk after completing a workout, I ultimately wanted to go with non-chocolate milk, but then noticed that potassium wasn't mentioned on the label -- and I knew that given the amount of 'chocolate' that was in the chocolate milk (and knowing what I knew about chocolate's potassium content), there was no way that the potassium content of the chocolate milk was *entirely* due to the chocolate content... and although I didn't happen to 'look into the matter', back then, the 'issue' nonetheless seemed to practically simmer, in the back of my mind, when it came to the 'what gives...?' -like looming confusion I experienced in the wake of the reality...

I knew when I saw the MFP tool's display of my (supposedly highly insufficient) potassium consumption, that something was amiss... and that's when I ended up 'needing to clarify the matter', once and for all... ;)

I just checked online, and the following is an RD-issued answer to a question regarding potassium content and potassium's absence from a Nutrition Facts label --

http://www.aicr.org/press/health-features/health-talk/2013/09sept2013/Potassium-nutrition-label1.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AICR HealthTalk

Karen Collins, MS, RD, CDN
    American Institute for Cancer Research

Q: If potassium isn’t listed on the Nutrition Facts panel of a food, does that mean it doesn’t contain much?

A: No, the Nutrition Facts panel is legally required to list content of certain nutrients, but listing potassium content is optional. Taking steps to boost potassium consumption is a good idea for most Americans, since our average is only one-half to two-thirds of recommended levels. A potassium-rich diet is important for healthy blood pressure levels because it blunts the effect too much sodium can have in raising blood pressure. Although boosting potassium may seem tricky without content listed on food labels, the most concentrated sources of potassium include many foods without nutrition labels: vegetables and fruits (with some much higher than others) and fish, poultry and meat. Even for foods with substantial amounts of potassium, the Nutrition Facts panel may not list potassium content; this includes dried beans, nuts, seeds, milk, yogurt and cottage cheese. Coffee and tea contain lesser amounts, but for people who drink several cups a day, these beverages can add important amounts of potassium; these, too, are usually not labeled with potassium content. Where you do see potassium listed, look for at least 10 percent of Daily Value. Daily Value is based on 3,500 milligrams (mg) per day. Note that the latest recommendations are for everyone age 14 and older to aim for 4700 mg daily. One cup of cooked spinach or broccoli contains over 800 mg, one medium baked potato has 800 mg and one medium banana provides 450 mg. With or without label information to guide us, increased potassium consumption is just one of many nutritional benefits that we get from following recommendations to eat an abundance of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes.

But then further 'looking about' uncovered the following revelation -- that the FDA has proposed updating the Nutrition Facts label, and such that Potassium *is* to be listed --

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

Proposed Nutrition Facts Label At-A-Glance

The FDA is proposing to update the Nutrition Facts label found on most food packages in the United States. [...] If adopted, the proposed changes would include the following.

1. Greater Understanding of Nutrition Science

[...]

Require manufacturers to declare the amount of potassium and Vitamin D on the label, because they are new “nutrients of public health significance.” Calcium and iron would continue to be required, and Vitamins A and C could be included on a voluntary basis.

[...]

So... potassium may soon no longer be 'dissed'...! ;)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Phew thanks for the link :+1:

I drink a lot of milk and tea. I have fruit, yogurt and cottage cheese everyday, and eat plenty of red meat!
    Hopefully I'm all good in the potassium department :smiley:
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Phew thanks for the link :+1:

I drink a lot of milk and tea. I have fruit, yogurt and cottage cheese everyday, and eat plenty of red meat!
    Hopefully I'm all good in the potassium department :smiley:

Christine, I would venture to say that you have a veritable 'congo line' of potassium ions 'dancing' their way into your stomach, prior to beginning the 'next chapter' in their lives of (biophilanthropic?) 'positive purpose' (no pun intended (for those not aware, potassium ions have a positive charge))... ;)

And while cutting some fruit, just minutes ago, and reflecting on the new-to-me reality that the FDA has proposed requiring Potassium's 'step up to the podium' presence on Nutrition Facts labels, I suddenly found myself 'hearing' (albeit only in my mind) the sound of Etta James, singing those infamous words, "At laaaaaast..." ;)

Edited to Add: my original comments bemoaning the absence of potassium spec info in the MFP database, in conjunction with member-entered info, was specific to items which had/have potassium content stated on their labels, but for which the corresponding database entries didn't have the info entered (and for which I mistakenly assumed, given that I knew the value had been stated on the label, that it would also exist in the database record, or would have otherwise been entered for the food item in question).
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    Options
    ...thought I'd go ahead and post this here...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    J Food Sci. 2008 Jun;73(5):H80-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00782.x.

The effects of boiling and leaching on the content of potassium and other minerals in potatoes.

Bethke PC1, Jansky SH.

Abstract

The white potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) is a valuable source of potassium in the human diet. While most consumers benefit from high levels of potassium in potato tubers, individuals with compromised kidney function must minimize their potassium intake. This study was undertaken to determine the effects of leaching and boiling on levels of potassium and other minerals in potato tubers. Leaching alone did not significantly reduce levels of potassium or other minerals in tubers. Boiling tuber cubes and shredded tubers decreased potassium levels by 50% and 75%, respectively. Reductions in mineral amounts following boiling were observed for phosphorus, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, manganese, and iron. There was no difference between the leaching and boiling treatment and the boiling treatment. In addition, mineral levels in tubers of 6 North American potato cultivars are reported. Significant differences in mineral levels were detected among cultivars, but they were too small to be nutritionally important. Individuals wishing to maximize the mineral nutrition benefits of consuming potatoes should boil them whole or bake, roast, or microwave them. Those who must reduce potassium uptake should boil small pieces before consuming them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • davefh0_0
    davefh0_0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help guys
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was a slightly concerned about my potassium levels as well until I read this thread, thanks everyone. Taking everything into consideration, I can breathe a little easier knowing that I'm more than likely getting my recommended levels, or at least close to it. MFP has my average about 1/2 of the recommended and I don't log the 1/2 pot of coffee (or more) that I drink every day and most foods don't have it in the database either.