Half marathon 2 weeks from today...Can I do this?

Options

Replies

• WhitneySpeicher
    WhitneySpeicher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies!

I think I'll do the 5k instead. I would be so mad at myself if I end up injured, which sounds likely. And I found out that my husband works that weekend, so chasing a toddler by myself afterwards sounds like hell.

It's sad to be so close to being ready but not quite there. But it will help keep me motivated for this fall.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    LittleWhit wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies!

I think I'll do the 5k instead. I would be so mad at myself if I end up injured, which sounds likely. And I found out that my husband works that weekend, so chasing a toddler by myself afterwards sounds like hell.

It's sad to be so close to being ready but not quite there. But it will help keep me motivated for this fall.

I think that is a wise choice. I think your first HM should be one you chose as your first and one you train for. If you can do 6.5 miles pushing a stroller, I am confident you could train for a HM pretty quickly... but not in two weeks. Lol! Pushing those strollers should be it's own category of exercise and training.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    2 weeks out? Do you have time to walk 10 miles now? See if that's possible and see how your body reacts to it (find like a 5 mile circle around your house and do it twice so if you can't finish the 10 at least you're close to home). But don't wait any longer because you could get hurt and not be able to race at all.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I see you're going to do the 5k, probably a very wise decision. I would suggest if you can stick around after the 5k that you do, check out the runners crossing the finish line at the HM and you'll see first hand the exhaustion some of them will have and being a part of the finish line excitement might get you to push yourself into your own training for the fall HM you're signed up for.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Smart move on the 5k. BTW is this a legitimate bib transfer? IE is the race organization aware that you are running instead of your friend?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Smart move on the 5k. BTW is this a legitimate bib transfer? IE is the race organization aware that you are running instead of your friend?

I sincerely doubt it.
    Larger races, like Army Ten Miler & Canadian Army Half, the bib transfer is months out from the actual race day. And 2 weeks out, you're SOL
  • wandagailpaxton
    wandagailpaxton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have a half marathon in 7 weeks in Vermont. I am about to make you feel much better about your half marathon, lol. I am 66 years old, overweight, doing the Galloway method and due to pain and injuries not training like I should. The cut off for the half I am doing is basically 3 hours because the beer has shut down and the year I finished there was only one person behind me and the people watching the finish line had gone to get pizza, lol. I finished in 330 which with little training and a lot of aches and pains wasn't bad for my age and lack of preparation. This year I have sciatica, tendonitis, upper back pain and I'm seeing a physical therapist. Basically my doctor told me to try swimming and the elliptical and quit the half. BALONEY. I have two tee shirts, one says run like Channing Tatum is waiting for you at the finish line and the other says if you see me lying on the ground please drag me over the finish line. I am doing this half with a smile, pain or not. First I love visiting Vermont, I live in Flagstaff and secondly I am on a charity team that I have either volunteered with or that one year I finished, Team Alzheimers. I will finish this year. Just remember it may hurt but most of it is mind over matter, young or old. You may become very attached to a heating pad and ibuprophen when you get home but you did it, doesn't matter what time you did it in, you did it!! P.S. I wish we had a four hour cut off, that would be great!!!!
  • glevinso
    Options

I sincerely doubt it.
    Larger races, like Army Ten Miler & Canadian Army Half, the bib transfer is months out from the actual race day. And 2 weeks out, you're SOL

Right. Not that it is likely, but don't get caught running under someone else's bib. It's no bueno for all involved
  • MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can walk a half-marathon in 4 hours. A 4.0 mph walk with no running is 3 hours 17 minutes. The reason why reasonably untrained people die is because they go out too hard at the start, completely exhaust themselves, and struggle the last 3-6 miles.

Walk the first half and then attempt your 2 minute/1 minute pace the last half. I bet you can come close to 3 hours doing that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have a half marathon in 7 weeks in Vermont. I am about to make you feel much better about your half marathon, lol. I am 66 years old, overweight, doing the Galloway method and due to pain and injuries not training like I should. The cut off for the half I am doing is basically 3 hours because the beer has shut down and the year I finished there was only one person behind me and the people watching the finish line had gone to get pizza, lol. I finished in 330 which with little training and a lot of aches and pains wasn't bad for my age and lack of preparation. This year I have sciatica, tendonitis, upper back pain and I'm seeing a physical therapist. Basically my doctor told me to try swimming and the elliptical and quit the half. BALONEY. I have two tee shirts, one says run like Channing Tatum is waiting for you at the finish line and the other says if you see me lying on the ground please drag me over the finish line. I am doing this half with a smile, pain or not. First I love visiting Vermont, I live in Flagstaff and secondly I am on a charity team that I have either volunteered with or that one year I finished, Team Alzheimers. I will finish this year. Just remember it may hurt but most of it is mind over matter, young or old. You may become very attached to a heating pad and ibuprophen when you get home but you did it, doesn't matter what time you did it in, you did it!! P.S. I wish we had a four hour cut off, that would be great!!!!

Sounds less like mind over matter and more like self fulfilling fantasy.
    No thanks.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Do it. The worst that can happen is that you DNF by being too slow...

The worst that can happen is a significant injury. Easy to do at that distance, with minimal prior training.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm the OP of "Registered for the Louisiana Marathon tomorrow". Without training for a marathon, I thought it would be a good idea to run a marathon.

All I can do is share my experience regarding my decision to run a full marathon after only training for a 5K.

1. I had NO idea what recovery from the marathon would look like for me. (It took about a month to fully recover from running the marathon since I had not properly prepared for the marathon.)
    2. I was REALLY fortunate to not seriously injure myself.
    3. I learned all sorts of things about my body and myself while I was out there running for 5 hours and 47 minutes - that amount of time was a good opportunity for me to get in my head.. OR NOT. I chose to NOT get in my head for that duration of time, and had something good to listen to for all of that time.
    4. Some people walk it. Yes, I knew going into it that some people actually walk it if they need to. If you are determined to finish a half marathon that you haven't trained for, remember that walking is an option.
    5. I had to fuel myself. I alternated with Gu, water, and powerade for the water tables. On the first, I had Gu, a few miles later I had water, and a few miles later I had powerade. Rinse, lather, repeat. I was disgusted by Gu and powerade by the end of the race.
    6. Have fun. Talk to others. Socialize. Read funny posters. Tap the posters that say, "tap here for energy"
    7. Foot care is very important. Good shoes and socks are a must.
    8. Taking a hot bath when I got home from the race was not a good idea. Ice baths are recommended.
    9. Massage became my friend. So did my chiropractor. So did ice.
    10. I learned what a reverse taper was after the marathon.

If you choose to run the half marathon, and you're like me, the sense of accomplishment will outweigh any pain you feel. Nobody can take away the fact that I completed a marathon. I had fun and learned a lot during and after the marathon.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The worst that can happen is a significant injury. Easy to do at that distance, with minimal prior training.

+1

The start down the unfit and overweight road for me was a sports injury that sidelined me from running for months, and from skiing for many yeas.

For those of us incorporating running into our overall fitness / weight management plans, a significant injury may prove to be a major setback. To the OP just imagine what a bad injury getting in the way of your spring/summer plans and goals would mean to you.

The half is a non-trivial distance. Skip the free entry (and do the 5K as you plan, wise!) and spend the time training for your planned half so you can have an enjoyable, injury-free, first half marathon. When you cross the finish line running strong with a smile on your face you'll be glad you waited and did it right.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    OP I'm with everyone else. Switch to the 5k. No shame in that.
  • mfermo
    mfermo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I run a cycling race last year totally unprepared, I suffered for 120km, arrived exhausted at the end almost not able to talk for 10 minutes. I just love the memory, I was probably a stupid but felt like an hero so my advise is "just do it".
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    As long as you know when to walk and won't get all crabby about not doing your best, I say go for it.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the mini-marathon at Indy. If so, I am going to be at the race. It will be my second half marathon. I finished the one last year just under 3 hours. I only started training for it x 4 months, and only on the treadmill. Mostly I walked it but also ran some of it. It was so much fun! It may help to get one under your belt. I wasn't injured or even that sore, well, maybe a little in the hips. There is music along the way and people cheering for you.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    be sure the rd allows this..a lot does not...and there are reasons
  • glevinso
    Options
    You can walk a half-marathon in 4 hours. A 4.0 mph walk with no running is 3 hours 17 minutes. The reason why reasonably untrained people die is because they go out too hard at the start, completely exhaust themselves, and struggle the last 3-6 miles.

Walk the first half and then attempt your 2 minute/1 minute pace the last half. I bet you can come close to 3 hours doing that.

Why even bother though? What would be the point?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

Why even bother though? What would be the point?

That's the way I feel. I've done one half (properly trained) and earlier this year I signed up for one next month *hoping* it would motivate me. Sadly, it did not. Now, I probably could have planned on going and walking most of it, but quite frankly, I would feel stupid being surrounded by people that actually put the time, effort, and training into RUNNING it. I don't want to say I did a half, whole, whatever, unless I truly earned it. JMHO.