I'm a runner and wondering about trying crossfit. Any advice?

Options
Hi all,

Basically I was due to run my second marathon next weekend but my damn ITB decided to stick a spanner in the works *sigh* I went to the physio and he signed me off and then I went horse riding in Morocco and got off back of my horse and damaged my ankle *deep sigh* so have only just started back after 7 week rest period. Physio said I'm good to go and I'm building up the miles again. I've got my exercises to do but on top of it over course of 18 months I've shot up to 13st 10lbs and I'm 5ft 8 and feeling super Bleurgh. So having done quite a bit of research I've read that crossfit can be beneficial to my ITB issues as I'm fit but weak. It sounds like it'll shred the fat too. I've never been a lifter and only done cardio. So any advice would be gratefully received. I'm turning 35 in June and I wanna be on the right road to fabulousness by then :smile:

I'm gonna stick with doing MFP as I have tendency to never eat enough protein. Thanks in advance

Rehanon :smiley:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Never lifted? You don't have to join a Crossfit gym to just get down the basics. In fact, bodyweight exercises like pushups, body squats and pullups are a great start. Try mastering those first.
    As for fat loss, that's more about calorie deficit than exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a runner primarily. I love doing Crossfit. It is fun to change things up and have a different routine every time you go. It is fun to get stronger too. You know most running trainers now stress that runners are helped by doing some strength training.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    zero experience with cross fit.

It sounds like a very effective and fun way to exercise.

but from what I read, its certainly not the way most people would go about rehabbing an injury.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Most gyms offer a free intro class, and you can sit in or join a normal class as well. I thought frossfit was a blast! A good gym will have options to scale the workouts and a good trainer will be able to give you modifications based on your injuries.

Any group fitness class is a good idea.
    But in my experience they are easy and get boring pretty quick-if you're already fit. I absolutely love crossfit. As a runner you will kick some butt! Cardiovascular endurance is a huge part of it. Actually, a bunch of ladies at my old gym (myself included) walked in as runners. Good luck
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yes do it up
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Research the gyms in your area. Both crossfit and regular. Both could be full of bad trainers and make your injury worse.

Whatever you decide, don't wear your running shoes . Get a pair of cross trainers or chucks. Lifting in your running shoes won't give you a good base for squats and deadlifts plus will compress the foam quicker, effectively shortening your shoes life
  • mink_deville
    mink_deville Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice really kind. Great to know about trainers too :)

I'm on this!