How much muscle definiton do you lose in a week?

Options
Ive been exercising for 3 months every day and was extremly happy with my body and how toned it looked. I was slim to begin with but wanted to be more active. I had surgery on 16th but wasnt able to workout since Thuesday. Im planning on starting to workout again on Wednesday snce my doctor said its okay. My diet wasnt the best( but not too bad ) since when people come to visit me they always bring cake and stuff. I try to eat as much protein as i can and to stay around my BMR since im not moving. I feel all flabby but that might be in my head. I weigh 123 pounds and am 5 feet and 10 inches tall if it matters.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow 5 ft 10 and 123...interesting.

BMI puts you underweight at 17.6...and normally I don't put much stock in that but in this case it's probably accurate...

and yes it's probably in your head.

I went to Jamaica for 8 days...didn't work out, ate all the foods and drank all the rum and came back with an extra 7lbs.....mostly water weight...but I didn't look any flabbier than when I left.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think when you exercise regularly, you get used to feeling sort of firm and trim... I think it's probably an effect of muscles doing some adapting, maybe holding onto a bit of water, that sort of thing. Sometimes I feel thinner and tighter even immediately after a workout (I'm not, I'm talking about ~feelings~). And when you sit around all day for a few days, you feel kind of lumpy and blah. And if you've been exercising a lot, and then sit around a few days, the contrast is more pronounced.

But I doubt you can lose significant muscle mass in a week, anymore than you can build significant muscle mass in a week. And I doubt you would have put on enough fat (if any, since you said you're eating around BMR) to obscure muscle definition you had. So it's probably just a psychological thing, and you'll feel better once you're moving again.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    None.
  • sakibihabibi
    sakibihabibi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    None
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think the flabby feeling is probably mental. I felt the same way when I traveled out of state earlier this year and didn't work out once. A week isn't going to cause you any set backs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine- I've taken almost a whole month off with sporadic lifting like every 4-6 days without dedicated programming or lifting- and I haven't lost much.

Stay on top of the diet- don't go ham on it. You'll be fine. You're just feeling crappy- and that's normal. I feel that way pretty much after 3 days. It's fine- it's mental.