Weight training discussions....

Options
I'm loving reading all about people's weight/strength-training routines, its so interesting and I'm learning so much. I had my first strength training session today following a session with the PT last week and I enjoyed it so much more than cardio. My usual routine was treadmill/crosstrainer and 2x bodypump classes but today I loved hitting the gym and doing my lower body workout.

Before coming on these boards I used to think only cardio helped with weightloss and I had no interest whatsoever in using weights but following attending my bodypump classes I've noticed a massive change in my overall appearence (i.e. firmer butt, thighs/arms etc look more toned) so although I want to lose fat too (I do eat with a calorie deficit too), I really enjoy reading everyones discussions about their weight training!

Just thought I'd say! :-)

Replies

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    most of my weight workouts have a cardio slant to them. I will set up my weights and then work my way through them with very little rest in between. I enjoy dumbbells because they are nice and simple and I can move quickly from one exercise to another with them. I usually do high repetitions (10-12) with slightly lower weight but at the end of my workouts I am struggling and usually can't get the full set in.
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do 5 minutes on the elliptical as fast as i can between rotations. A rotation on arms/ chest day consists of pull ups, reverse incline crunches with a plate or medicine ball, tricep presses, etc. for as many reps as i can pull (6-20, depending on how heavy), then the elliptical for 5 minutes flat out, then another round on the weights. on low back and glutes/legs day its dead lifts, squats, kick backs, so on, so on, elliptical for 5 between rotations. So much sweat. Feels so good. I don't do much straight cardio due to majjor breathing issues. Don't judge.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've never done a deadlift but I have a PT session tomorrow at the gym to go through Upper Body workouts so I'll ask him to show me how these are done as I see a lot of people do these!
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer and we have found that my body responds to opposing muscle super sets. 3x a week targeted areas. I do cardio workout on non-lifting days, lite jogging, walking or cycling; assuming I am not too tired or sore.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    ask about good mornings also
  • theresaTerriM
    theresaTerriM Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    I've never done a deadlift but I have a PT session tomorrow at the gym to go through Upper Body workouts so I'll ask him to show me how these are done as I see a lot of people do these!

Yes, ask your PT first about the deadlifts. If you don't have proper form you can really hurt yourself. He/she can watch you do them and correct your form if needed. You'll hear that a lot with weight training....it's all about your form! Form is key! lol :smile:
  • sakibihabibi
    sakibihabibi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's all about lifting heavy and doing compound exercises. - deadlift, bench press, squat, and military press. 4 to 6 rep range is what I go for when lifting heavy. rest 3-4 minutes between each set. All about progressive overload. A successful workout is one where I did an extra rep in a set or increased weight on the bar.
    I do a 5 day body split for weight training.
    Other 2 days are HIIT cardio, bike or treadmill
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Some people like cardio, some like heavy lifting, some do both, some do resistance training, HIIT etc...it doesn't matter as long as you are moving more.

If you don't want to do compound heavy lifting continue on with what you are doing now it doesn't have to be about lifting heavy.

And this is coming from someone who lifts heavy and loves it....