Asthmatic but not wanting to be sedentary. Any suggestions for a rainy day?

Options
So because my asthma decided to exist something hardcore these past few days and I've done nothing but small bouts of walking around my block and have been basically sedentary. I haven't gotten to do any workout videos or anything. However, it's raining something awful today and I don't want to add a cold on top of this. Anyone have any suggestions to help a fellow asthmatic out?

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walk at home videos are great. I believe there are at least a few available online. I also have asthma, and my doctor perscribed me some preventative medicine along with a new inhaler to get me through my workouts ( my attacks are actually brought on by physical activity). I don't particularly like having to take daily medicine, but it has helped a lot.
  • Sanjida_J
    Sanjida_J Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I face the same problem, needless to say being asthmatic sucks. I worked out for 28days and lost 10kgs &my perfect body was only a step away, when i had a major asthma attack. Bed rest and pills took me bk to where I strated from. I lost hope, &gained bk those 10kgs in a snap. But today im starting over after 6months ☺
    You can always try bicycle crunch, v crunch and side crunch, along with yoga. These keeps the breathing smooth &body moving, works for me.
  • MrRex_91
    MrRex_91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions. Thanks!!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yoga would probably be a good thing to get your lungs to hopefully start to cooperate. For me, if I take a hit or two off my inhaler BEFORE I start, I've found I do better. As for walking, odvisouly don't walk outdoors when the weather sucks, but what you might try is walk for time, not distance or speed. Walk 15 minutes, turn around and walk back. That's a 30 minute walk right there. As you get used to that, you can try and increase your pace a little bit, maybe add 5 minutes on each way. Basically, what I did was find something I could do with just a little bit of pushing, do that until my body got used to it, and then added just a little bit more. Very slow, and I still have a ways to go, but I am slowly improving. I still need my inhaler, but not as frequently as I used to.
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Get on asthma medication!! Once I started using my albuterol 10 minutes before working out and got on inhaler steroids I was able to really work out a lot harder and have no issues now. It a been worth all the money for prescriptions and everything. Living with asthma is so exhausting and exercising with it is basically impossible. See your doctor if at all possible.