Net Calories are under but still not losing weight, Need help!

Replies

• MatthewOttewell
    MatthewOttewell Posts: 13 Member
    Stop eating out and log your food accurately. If something can't be logged accurately, don't eat it. And golf shouldn't even count as exercise...really?
  • spainsoccerfreak
    spainsoccerfreak Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks guys so much for the help, and golf might not be strong workout but still is workout :) dont knock it till you try it, might be off quite a bit on how hard of a workout yes proably but thats why I am here working on trying to fix it!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    I kinda think that there are 3 pieces of data that are key here.

[*] Number of days that you have logged- 6 days isn't very many. 20 or 30 is a better sample size
    [*] food tracking.
    [*] Exercise tracking

A tip to increase your success is to eliminate guess at calorie counts on prepared food...take out, restaurant stuff like chicken wings or deli items. For the time being until you start seeing some weight loss don't eat it if you don't know precisely the calorie count.

Based on my experience a HRM is terrible in warmer spring and summer weather and for indoor exercisers since our hearts work harder to keep us cool.
  • tarrasandwick
    tarrasandwick Posts: 6 Member
    MFP is notorious for underestimating food calories and overestimating exercise calories.

My number one tip for newbies is to find a good calorie amount for YOU (this will require some wiggle room), a good start is to go through this calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Take that number and then follow the instructions on the page to get your recommended daily calories.

Then follow that number for 2 weeks. Weigh everything on a food scale (solid and semi-solid), and measure using measuring cups (liquid).

*Do not eat back your exercise calories*

After those 2 weeks, look back and reevaluate. Did you lose weight? Were you always hungry? (Note that your body needs time to adjust to eating reduced amounts of food). Add in an extra 100 calories per day if this is the case, and repeat again in 2 weeks.

Once you find the right amount of daily calories that feels right for you, stick with it. When I started I was doing 1200 because of MFP's stupid auto feature, felt better when I popped it up to 1300, but it didn't stick. Now I've been eating at 1600-1800 per day for the last year and it's working great.

The idea is that you want to be eating as much food as possible while still losing weight. You want it to be sustainable for the long run, and able to be adjustable around plateaus. If you're only eating at 1200 (never do this), and you stop losing, where can you go if you want to reduce your calories? If you eat at a sustainable level, you won't starve yourself and make yourself miserable. Being constantly miserable and hungry guarantees that you won't ultimately succeed in your weight loss efforts. :)

• tarrasandwick
    What is bmi, I just calculated it and it says 1289.5, also what is op thanks
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015

BMI is your Body Mass Index (quick Body Fat Calculation)

You figured out your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate). Basically the amount of calories you'd need per day to sustain yourself in a coma.

OP = Original Poster.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Your heart rate monitor certainly isn't made for calculating calories from a 4.5 hour activity like golfing. One problem is that it will be trying to give you gross calories burned....even sitting on the couch it would say you burned hundreds of calories (and that would be correct), but you wouldn't add those calories back because they are already factored in to your BMR/TDEE.

You really need the NET calories burned (net of the calories you'd burn just by being alive). When you're talking about steady state cardio for a relatively short period of time it doesn't matter as much. When you're talking about a 4.5 hour period you really start double counting those calories from just being alive.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    I cannot comment on what you do, but maybe I can tell you what I do when I am successful and some of that may help! Other posters commented on your macros. I NEVER pay attention to macros and I do not worry about fat content. I DO worry about - eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies and protein, cutting way back on fried food and processed carbs, trying not to eat out (too many calories, easy to overeat and underestimate, too much salt, MSG, and processed carbs), trying not to overestimate exercise (I NEVER eat back more than 300 to 500 calories of exercise a day - I would also never eat back more than what would total my maintenance calories for the day). I also eat within a range of daily calories depending on amount of exercise (with the above caveats), so I do not think there is anything wrong with that and it has helped me. On really hungry, active days, I eat more. On days I am not as hungry, less active, or more regimented, I eat less. Some say it helps your metabolism. That may be, but for me it keeps me from giving up and keeps me headed in the right direction without getting discouraged. Good luck!!
  • tarrasandwick
    RGv2 wrote: »

BMI is your Body Mass Index (quick Body Fat Calculation)

You figured out your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate). Basically the amount of calories you'd need per day to sustain yourself in a coma.

OP = Original Poster.

• tarrasandwick
    Why do u say, to sustain myself in a coma, I guess it's gone over my head
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Ok, I'm curious. What did you do on Sunday to burn 1,500 cals?!
  • tarrasandwick
    Thanks to those who post positive useful advice, its hard sometimes to ask for help here since many ppl can be ready hurtful as if trying to lose weight isnt hard enough, so thanks to those who choose to help me :) I am just at the beggning hopefully make it thru!

• tarrasandwick
    U r awesome, thanks for all the positivity!!!!
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Argghhh ignore my post - I missed the last page!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Why do u say, to sustain myself in a coma, I guess it's gone over my head

Your body burns calories just supporting basic life-sustaining functions like breathing, your heart beating, other organs functioning properly, etc. So your BMR is the amount of calories your body burns each day simply by existing in a living state, doing absolutely nothing (hence the reference to a coma). If you add your BMR to all the other calories you burn during the day for normal activities like talking to people, going to work, walking around your house, cooking dinner, etc. that gets your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). You lose weight the healthy way by eating at a deficit to your TDEE.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Golf IS exercise if you walk the course and carry your clubs, otherwise if you ride around in an electric cart....not really good exercise (sorry). I use a polar hrm and only when doing aerobic exercise: running on a treadmill, bicycling, ellyptical, dance aerobics....for stretching and weight lifting, the burn is really low, ie a half hour of weight lifting may range from 80 calories to 130 calories. I will still log it but the good burn is from aerobic activity. Running 3 miles is about 300-400 calories. Not 800 or 1000.....again, sorry.

Weight lifting is good for other reasons....and will help you lose weight. Mostly repairing the micro-tears when lifting weights increases the calorie demand and lessens calories being stored as fat.

Invest in a good scale that weighs in grams, about 25-30 dollars. Weigh everything in grams and use package labels to help. Learn to see what a serving actually is. For me a bag of trail mix was not a serving, but 14 servings....what an eye opener. No wonder I gained weight. I eat a lot of apples and one of my favorites is honeycrisp and it weighs 330 grams. A large apple is supposed to be 150 grams. Once I weighed my apples, I learned a lot. I was underestimating my calories. Mfp has a beautiful data base, and members are always contributing.

Also it is okay to eat out but minimalize it. If you can, pre-cooking your meals will really help you. Package in small bags or zip-locks. When you are hungry, it is already in the refrigerator---just reheat. Vegetables have little or next to little calories...Eat a few per day....really and they taste good also.

Drink a lot of water...sometimes when you are hungry you are really thirsty. Sometimes when you need sleep, you want to eat... I work the night shift..and know that this is true.

thanks for listening to our advice.
  • roycenichols
    roycenichols Posts: 12 Member
    It's perfectly normal to have weight fluctuations throughout the week, even day by day. It's important to weigh yourself in the same clothes and at the same time. The best time is in the morning. More important than numbers on the scale is the way you feel. Do you feel lighter? Do old clothes fit? Etc.. Stay true to a healthy diet and good exercise program.