Early Morning Workouts

Options
Growing up I was always a morning person. I used to relish being up before it seemed anyone else was. I thought 5am workouts would be perfect for me, but somehow I think my body composition is changing. I feel sluggish by the time 8am rolls around and I walk in the office. All I want to do is go back to sleep. Working out at night isn't always convenient, sometimes the day wears you out. but I find once I start, I go longer, push harder knowing I have nothing else on the agenda. Does anyone else have this problem? Which do you prefer and why?

Replies

• kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like the morning (5 am) because no matter what else happens during the day, my workout is finished. Plus I do go to Zumba 2 nights a week. Whatever time you actually DO the workout is the best time for you.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd like 5am, but here I am!
    What helped me is cramming in a substantial breakfast before the workout, or else I feel like I'm gonna pass out!
    Good luck!
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I don't do a workout at 5am there is always an excuse to not to work out in the evening.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5 am during the work week and usually do an additional training session in the evening (swim and strength alternating am, run and bike alternating+ occasional yoga pm).
    I find that nutrient timing and eating most of my daily calories earlier in the day makes me feel much better. I have about 200 cals (mostly carbs) plus coffee before working out, then an even mix of carbs and protein, with a bit of fat for satiety after.
    Big snack around 9-10, big lunch around 12, and I'm good to go. Mostly protein and veggies for dinner after pm workout.

Matt Fitzgerald has a really good table to help time nutrition around workouts that I based my loose schedule off of. It's made a big difference for me, but YMMV.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings and evenings. I make myself workout 10-20min each morning (usually calisthenics), I'm usually pretty pumped and energized afterwards too. In the afternoons I always find 30-45min to workout again (no matter how bad or long my day was), whether it be a run or walk, or zumba, or strengthtraining.

That's just me though, you have find what works best for you. Something that helped me, especially in the afternoons, was to get dressed in my workout clothes before I decided I wasn't going to worout. Then I'd bargain with myself, I'd tell myself that I'd workout for 10min. or run for 1 mile before I called it quits and I'd usually end up doing a full 45min workout. If I'm feeling sluggish in the morning I'll sneak in small workouts at work, jumping jacks in the bathroom, squats and lunges at my desk, wall sits while talking on the phone. Just little mini workouts that add up throughout the day.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world, I'd be able to go to the gym/for a run at 10am, which is the time I most prefer for exercising. However, this uncharitable world we live in demands I actually be at work at this time. Personally I see pros and cons to different workout times. Some days a morning workout would be hellish, some days waiting til after work means it just isn't going to happen. There is something nice about getting it over and done with by 7am, and I also like burning off steam after work as well. It depends on my mood and which time best fits into my schedule that day.
    I wouldn't try and force myself to do something consistently which I loathed and which put me off long-term though. I'd probably just end up never going and making myself feel rubbish, so I pick and choose, as long as I fit in enough exercise for the week. There are some Fridays I drag myself to the gym at 6am because I know I'm going to the pub after work, but then I just let the social time and the food and the beer be my motivator.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am up and out at 4:45am. I love it. I work and have two very active kids. Any other time would not work for me.
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm the total opposite - workouts wear me out, and I dread the thought of having any obligations post-workout (other than showering, brushing my teeth and going to bed). So I always work out in the evening. Although sometimes I think the workouts energize me too, and cause me to have weird dreams....
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at 5:30am for just over 4 weeks, and I looooove it. The only thing I have before my workout is a 1/2 cup OJ with an iron supplement (prescribed). I eat a solid breakfast right after though, with lots of protein & carbs (oatmeal, egg, greek yogurt). Then I drink my coffee on the way to work. I have lots of energy in the day, but I do have to get to bed by 10pm!
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, the best time to work out is when you will actually work out. We all have some parts of the day are inflexibly blocked off by work, family, etc. The trick is to find make time around that. For some, including myself, the crazy-early morning hours work best: it's good to get it done and start the day, and nobody needs anything at 5:30 AM. For others, that would be one of the inner circles, and they do it at the end of the day. Whatever works for you ... is what works for you. I know: deep, right?
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I hit it at 5 am every day, but I go to bed at 9pm.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    5 am bc there are very few ppl and when its done..its done. no excuse meeting after work function will stand in the way of my work out....and I hate the afternoon evening crowd. People want to talk or do all the things the shouldnt every meme imaginable is happening at my gym
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have to do it now because of class, but I'd much prefer to walk in the evening. I'm not a morning person, and getting up at the butt crack of dawn just to exercise makes me very cranky.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4:30am every morning and I hate it. Sleeping in until 6am feels like such a luxury these days! But I do it because if I don't get up and go, I know myself and there is no way at the end of an exhausting day I'll hit the gym. I've tried and I just can't get myself there. Plus, my gym gets PACKED after work and I hate having to deal with crowds/parking/machine use (especially after a long day at work!). It's just another excuse for me. There are no excuses at 4:30am- that's just what I gotta do! Once I get going, I actually enjoy the quiet of the early morning and getting a head start on my day. My friends and family make fun of me, but I go to bed between 7:30pm-8pm so that I get 8 hours of solid sleep. It hasn't helped my social life, but it's helped my waistline! =)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym around 10Am to 12PM... I like afternoon workouts.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I absolutely despise, with a fiery and burning passion, morning workouts. Lol. I just struggle so much with them. I feel like crap, and definitely don't give it my best effort. I tend to be a night owl by nature, so I'm sure that's part of the reason. I would much rather go after work, even if it's been a long day. It's a great way to relieve the stress of the day and get it out of my system! That's what works for me!
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If I don't work out at 5:30 am it probably won't happen. So, because it's important to me that's what I do. I find getting to bed early enough is key to making it work. I need at bare minimum 7 hours of sleep, but 7.5 is better so I head for bed shortly after 9 most nights.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I am up at around 4:45am every weekday morning and I work out for 30-45 minutes and feel great ! Not gonna lie, there are some mornings when it is a struggle, but I always feel better after I drag myself out of bed.... I love knowing that when I get home, my workout has already been done....If I choose to take the dog for a walk / run then that is a bonus in my mind....
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're diving in to the workouts too hard? I drag if I do a really hard workout so I keep them to 30-45 minutes.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Find out what works best for you and your family. You will find it