Chron's Disease

Options
SamanthaDaCosta
SamanthaDaCosta Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone,
I am a newly diagnosed (September 2014) patient of Chron's disease.
I am currently taking 6mg of Budesonide (Entocort) a day to treat. This is a non-systemic steroid.
Anyways I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can manage my disease effectively while eating healthy and losing weight?
I haven't quite figured out what my triggers are but I am working toward to figuring that out.
I should also mention I had my 4th ACL reconstruction on December 15th 2014, so I'm exercising is a little slow for me right now. Being my 5th knee surgery in total my doctor wants me to take it slow.
Thanks for the help.
Sam

Replies

• Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My son has Crohn's and I've spent the last two years researching, learning and experimenting on what works for him. As you know, it is highly individual. Stress management, exercise (reasonable for your condition), and finding what dietary factors play a role for you will be ongoing. I highly recommend Sarah Ballantyne's "The Paleo Approach". It is based in true science. We don't follow it precisely, but incorporate many of the principles. Eliminating wheat and reducing dairy (except for grassfed cheese) have been two steps we've taken. As an inflammatory disease, we look for anti-inflammation foods. Best to you as you manage your Crohn's!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Get your doctor to refer you to a registered Dietician.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Crohns in Nov. of 2006. A week later I was in for a resection. Food is tough because the easiest stuff to digest is not the healthiest. While, as some stated above, everyone is different, in my case I can eat vegetables that have been cooked. No raw veg, it's too coarse. Rich foods are tough so go sparingly with the peanut butter and the cheese. Also, curb your meat intake. That's been huge for me. I do fine cooking with olive oil, but others like butter, peanut, and vegetable, etc, cause issues. Boca burgers are good. I cannot drink milk but soy milk is good in cereal. Bananas work well.

Chew your food!!! Definitely. Make sure you chew well. Drink plenty of fluids with the meals. Also, take your time eating. Don't just slam your guts with a bellyful of food over three minutes.

Best of luck.
    Brandon
  • lostangelntx
    Options
    The same here. I have to eat slowly. Go easy on the fried foods and sometimes even the veggies. I just try to listen to my body as I can eat something one day and be fine then several days later eat the same thing and get sick. Some days it's all I can do to just consume 500 calories. If my body isn't feeling well I go with it and stick to the foods I can digest. If it's having a good day I try to get the nutrition I missed but never over eat.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Where in your digestive tract did they pinpoint your Crohn's? It has very different presentations depending on where it has the worst flare ups. I know some people who swear by gluten free diets as a huge help with their Crohn's, but for my sister, bread and wheat-based foods are actually soothing...it's high-fiber veggies she needs to avoid. be patient, and experiment carefully. And, definitely learn from the experience of other Crohn's sufferers, but especially those who see their trouble in the same location.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Where in your digestive tract did they pinpoint your Crohn's? It has very different presentations depending on where it has the worst flare ups. I know some people who swear by gluten free diets as a huge help with their Crohn's, but for my sister, bread and wheat-based foods are actually soothing...it's high-fiber veggies she needs to avoid. be patient, and experiment carefully. And, definitely learn from the experience of other Crohn's sufferers, but especially those who see their trouble in the same location.

Also, my sister has had affiliated issues with her fertility. As a young woman, you may want to bear that in mind as well. (Said sister has 2 gorgeous kids, they just were harder to conceive...she didn't need IVF or anything, but having an autoimmune disease creating pain near her uterus didn't help matters!)

• freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My son has it, he was diagnosed when he was 19yrs old he is 30yrs now. I'm afraid I'm not much help though. Although there are a few who can't do dairy, he regularly drinks milk and eats cheese. He has flare ups now and again but is not on medication at the moment and has not been for a while.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis the only foods I need to avoid are high fiber foods raw fruits & vegetables when I have a flare up
  • SamanthaDaCosta
    SamanthaDaCosta Posts: 3 Member
    Options

It starts at the beginning of my small bowel, the scope only goes that far so they aren't sure how much of it is affected
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

It starts at the beginning of my small bowel, the scope only goes that far so they aren't sure how much of it is affected

Hm, OK, I'd look for more information about what in particular tends to go with Crohn's in that area. And, in my opinion, don't buy in to any named diet cure. yes, SOME people benefit from eliminating wheat. My sister, whose Crohn's is in her illium, finds wheat products to be some of the easiest foods for her to handle. And so-called primal or paleo foods are the ones that make her feel the sickest in many cases...processing is her friend.

Crohn's isn't one-size fits all. Experiment and see what helps YOU and your condition.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My cousin has it. He found the meds were making him worse. He did a lot of research, and cut out all wheat, sugar, yeast. He eats meats, vegetables, and beans.. Stay away from processed foods. Like the person above said, see what helps you.
  • skinnybitch222
    skinnybitch222 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I was diagnosed with Crohns at the age of 16 in 2008. I was on Imuran for 7 years and two months ago i decided to try to get off all meds and try to control it with diet alone. So far, so good, but I guess only time will tell how successful I'll be.

I eat a Paleo diet, with no wheat or dairy. Lots of salads, lean protein, and veggies like sweet potato (i know, i know, not totally paleo), broccoli, asparagus, etc.

Try to get as much nutrients as you can with the least amount of cooking. I stay away from fried foods too, as they seem to trigger a reaction.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My brother had Crohn's. This doesn't really answer your original question, but if they have you on steroids, please check if you need extra calcium. Steroids prevent calcium absorption and we learned that the hard way when my brother had a perforation in his bowel and then his bones started breaking in the hospital.