Struggling

Options
EMCOX5412
EMCOX5412 Posts: 43 Member
So i have been trying to lose weight for a while and I know that portion control is a major issue for me. I Track regularly and work out on a regular basis. But I have a question re: working out. I get up at 4am and have a cup of coffee and then head to the gym and work out burning about 300 to 400 calories per session about 5 to 6 times a week. I bring a mug of coffee with me to the gym. I then come home get ready for work and start my day w/ a banana at 7:30am and then continue eating throughout the day and logging with my last meal around 6:00pm and heading to bed 8pm. I am having trouble losing weight and I wonder if it is because I don't anything until after I work out. I think my body thinks I am starving it, so it holds onto everything I give it... can anyone seriously help???

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    First of all, kudos for going to the gym bright and early: I respect your dedication and discipline.

Second, not eating before your workout has nothing to do with it. I never eat breakfast and usually work out in the mornings, and I’ve been losing weight just fine. The whole “starvation mode” thing is a myth and has been disproven.

Third:

1. How long have you been tracking your calories: it can take a few weeks until our bodies catch up and weight comes off, especially if you’ve started exercising, because of stuff like retaining water.
    2. Do you use a food scale to track everything you eat: it’s very easy to underestimate the calories we eat if you don’t weigh the food; cups are very unreliable.
    3. Do you eat back your exercise calories: it’s generally accepted that exercise burns are overestimated, so most people only eat back about half.
    4. How much weight do you have to lose and did you set a realistic goal? (i.e. no more than 2 lbs/week if you have a lot to lose, 1lb/week or less otherwise)
    5. How much weight have you actually lost, and do you take your measurements in addition to weighing yourself: you say you’re having “trouble” losing weight, does this mean no loss, or just a slower loss than you’d like? also, measurements can often reflect changes in your body the scale might not capture as well.
  • EMCOX5412
    EMCOX5412 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying that, I have been thinking for a while that I needed to eat something before working out. I was doing WW for a while and completely plateaued, so I switched over to MFP about a week ago. I know it's soon...
    I have a scale that i don't use and I need to start using. I do really well all day long and then when I get home my portions for dinner are way over what they should be.

Most days I do eat back my exercise, never realized that counts were so far off. I will do as suggested and only eat back half. Thanks for that tip.

Ultimately I am looking to lose 40lbs and I don't want more than 2lbs a week, 1.5lb would be preferable.

I need to have patience and really be honest with tracking and especially my dinner meal...

Thanks again
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I’m happy to try and help! It sounds to me like you know exactly what you have to do :smile: . I think that with using a scale to portion out your food, eating back less of the exercise calories, and giving it time, you will do awesome.

Dinner is usually my biggest meal and I can easily go overboard if I’m too hungry when I get home. Some people like having a snack or something before they leave work to help with that. I personally like high protein foods/snacks because they’re satisfying.

I think going for a 1.5lb/week loss is good, just don’t forget to lower that as you get closer to your goal weight. You have a really great attitude :smile: . Best of luck!
  • lwinkler45
    lwinkler45 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have been on and off MFP for a while now...when I am doing bad, I don't log my food and dinner is the hardest for me. A lot of times I have to input recipes and that takes time, or what I am eating is not good for me. Today I am making a commitment to log everything and be honest...that is what we have to do if we want to lose weight. I read a quote today that I really like, "The desire to change must be stronger than the desire to stay the same." Simple but true. Good luck to you.
    Lisa