HELPPPPPPPPPP! !!!

Options
Would love some advice.... I've recently had a child and gained quite a lot of wieght! I've been on a strict diet for over a month and nearly lost a stone. The trouble is exercise and I'm struggling to get motivated! I'm so busy and tiered all the time. Is there any easy exercises to get me started? Or any tips to help me out. Thanks

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I started with just walking. I have asthma, so I'm having to build up very slowly. So, I just started walking short periods. Didn't matter that I couldn't walk fast, the point is to start somewhere. I'd walk 15 minutes, turn around and walk back. When I got used to that, I'd add 5 minutes each way. All you need is good shoes. Don't need fancy exercise gear or anything like that. I bring a water bottle with flavored water because I dehydrate quickly, but other than that, nothing fancy. Hell, my walking pants are some pajama bottoms I saw at Target. I wear them because they're comfortable! XD

My walking teacher also suggested getting a heart rate monitor. Using that, what I end up doing is ramping up for a minute or so (until my lungs start to protest) and then drop back down. After doing this for half a semester, I can now walk fast enough to keep up with HSpoon as he walks, so improvement!

Also, I have to have something to listen to. Be it music, book on tape or my app, if I don't have something for my brain to listen to, I start focusing on pain, making it worse.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Put that baby in a stroller and go for a walk.
  • robynnicoleacton
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    I started with just walking. I have asthma, so I'm having to build up very slowly. So, I just started walking short periods. Didn't matter that I couldn't walk fast, the point is to start somewhere. I'd walk 15 minutes, turn around and walk back. When I got used to that, I'd add 5 minutes each way. All you need is good shoes. Don't need fancy exercise gear or anything like that. I bring a water bottle with flavored water because I dehydrate quickly, but other than that, nothing fancy. Hell, my walking pants are some pajama bottoms I saw at Target. I wear them because they're comfortable! XD

My walking teacher also suggested getting a heart rate monitor. Using that, what I end up doing is ramping up for a minute or so (until my lungs start to protest) and then drop back down. After doing this for half a semester, I can now walk fast enough to keep up with HSpoon as he walks, so improvement!

Also, I have to have something to listen to. Be it music, book on tape or my app, if I don't have something for my brain to listen to, I start focusing on pain, making it worse.

Thank you so much. You've been very helpful. I'll try it first thing tomorrow morning :)
  • RichardJones6
    RichardJones6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Walking, walking, walking! When I started after my heart attack, I thought that first quarter mile was going to kill me! I got a cheap step counter and just kept at it. After walking the neighborhood for 3 months, I joined a gym and now do my cardio there! The hardest workouts are on the days I don't feel like doing them!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Thank you so much. You've been very helpful. I'll try it first thing tomorrow morning :)

You're welcome! ^_^ Really the key is just to start. I know people make fun of the "park at the end of the parking lot" suggestions and the like, but honestly? It's a start and more than I was doing at the time. Every little bit helps, and the more you do, the more you will eventually be able to add. Don't worry about it being slow, just concentrate on doing it, and you'll get in better shape over time. ^_^
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree walking is great. When I was trying to lose the preg. weight I did workout videos. You could also do body weight exercises, situps, pushups, planks, etc.. I did a lot of indoor stuff b.c I didn't want to take baby out in the cold. <3 and I was usually so tired I didn't want to go out...lol
  • KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    WALK!!!! grab your stroller, grab your kidlet and go get some sunshine. It's good for both you and baby. Plus it gives you time to bond and hang out outside of the house.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First, make a commitment. When you make a commitment, you keep it. That is all the motivation you will need, I said I’d do it, I committed to myself, so I’m doing it.

Second, set a time. Make it like your job, only more important. Nothing stops you from showing up each and every day you have scheduled at the time you scheduled.

Finally, start slow. Just walking will be enough to start. Over time, you’ll be able to do progressively more.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When you say strict diet I right away think you may not be eating enough. How many calories are you eating in a day?
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Take that baby out in the baby sling or stroller for long, brisk walks.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy... I enjoy dancing with my daughter so we play Just Dance. I think finding something you don't dread doing is vital... Congrats on the sweet baby and your progress !
  • es513
    es513 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also just had a baby 4 weeks ago and gained a ton of weight throughout my pregnancy!!! I've just been walking on the treadmill while my baby sleeps. I live in Texas and its already scalding hot here, so I don't really want my newborn in the stifling heat. BUT i totally agree. Energy is at a ZERO!!!! Sleep? What is sleep?