Favourite Way to Cook Chicken

Options
sbneko
sbneko Posts: 3 Member
Hey guys!

I'm curious, what's your favourite way to cook chicken that you can throw in any meal? I'm wanting to try some new ways of making them, so I can throw them in salads, sandwiches and so on, rather then specific chicken recipes/meals.

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A basic seasoniing mix of salt, pepper, paprika ( or cayenne if you like it spicer) and oregano. Then either bake or cook in a dry frying pan. It's super simple, and it really can be added to anything
  • sbneko
    Options
    That sounds pretty yummy! I'll have to try that out next time, thank you! :3
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    you can also add garlic and onion powders too
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    One thing I do is take a whole chicken(or parts) and crock pot it with some chicken broth, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, parsley and tarragon. Once cooked, I separate out meat and shred, and freeze in about 2 cup packages. then I defat the cooking liquid(toss the veg) and break that up into 2 cup packages as well. Now you have cooked chicken that's not too plain, but will work in just about any recipe you want, and a yummy broth as well to use in future recipes/soups.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    1# of chicken.

Melt 1 tbspn of butter in a pan over medium heat. Add in the chicken and sprinkle LIBERALLY with salt and pepper. COok until browned and no longer pink in center.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Grill !!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Skin on bone in - roasted or grilled.

If bonesless and skinless - pan seered or cooked in some type of sauce.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Last week I actually mixed some lime juice with like a tablespoon of honey, some salt, pepper and garlic powder and just sprinkled it on. Came out good and was versatile for a few different meals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    marinate and grill...or do a whole chicken on the rotis.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like to use Grillmates Marinades. They are a powder in a packet (with the sauces and gravies at the grocery) and you just add olive oil, water and some types you also add balsalmic vinegar. I usually put the powder into a gallon ziplock bag mix the ingredients in the bag then add my boneless, skinless chicken breasts turn it over a few times to make sure all the meat is coated and let them marinade in the fridge for 20 min up to a couple of hours. My fav is sun dried tomato basil. Then I simply dump the contents onto a pan bake at 375 degrees for 45 min and viola! You can eat a half breast with your fav sides or slice up and add to a salad or a wrap.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Grilled with jerk seasoning or crock pot with green chili.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    - Buy Chicken Breasts
    - preheat oven to 375
    - Unwrap package
    - Dust top of chicken breasts with Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper
    - Oil/Cooking spray/Heat skillet/frying pan up on med-high until it is almost smoking
    - Add Chicken Breasts spice side down.
    - Dust bottom of chicken breasts with same spices
    - Once top of chicken breast is browned, flip chicken breasts
    - Once bottom of chicken breast is browned, put chicken breast on broiler pan
    - Place broiler pan filled with chicken breasts in oven
    - Shut oven door
    - Bake for 25 - 30 minutes depending on breast thickness (heh... heh...)

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

This is my favorite method. If you get the timing just right, they come out super-moist.

I cube the baked chicken and stir it into simmer sauce (tikka masala, rogan josh, dopiaza), or saute onions and stir in cubed chicken and (canned) diced tomatoes until everything is hot.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bake it in the oven. Don't overcook or it will be dry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I roast a whole chicken (or parts--bone-in and skin-on) and then pull the chicken off and use it in whatever (or just eat it).

It really doesn't need anything but salt and pepper when done that way.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Salt, Pepper, Lime Juice, Cumin
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    super simple but I just buy a 4kg box of chicken breasts and boil them. They are so juicy I can throw them in soups/salads/with rice and veggies etc.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    Spanish a la plancha. Drizzle or spray with olive oil, season, and grill on a cast iron griddle pan. Works best if you cut breasts into pieces of uniform thickness. A squeeze of lemon or lime afterwards.

For a whole chicken, I like to spatchcock and roast. When spatchcocked at 200C fan assisted, it only takes 35 minutes.
  • sbneko
    Options
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

This is my favorite method. If you get the timing just right, they come out super-moist.

I cube the baked chicken and stir it into simmer sauce (tikka masala, rogan josh, dopiaza), or saute onions and stir in cubed chicken and (canned) diced tomatoes until everything is hot.

I decided to try this method tonight and wow I'm impressed! I think next time I'd add more flavouring to try something else (unless I need them plain), but the texture is absolutely perfect. Threw it in a salad for my supper :3 Thank you!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    For quick cooking I make up a seasoned salt mixture as others have. I mix a fairly big batch, and grind some of the spices in an old coffee grinder. Mine is a varying combo of:

- paprika, regular
    - much smaller amount of smoked paprika
    - kosher salt, ground a little finer if necessary
    - a little ground celery seed
    - freshly ground cumin
    - freshly ground peppercorns
    - cayenne or other ground dried spicy peppers to taste
    - occasionally dried herbs but usually I apply those separately if the dish calls for it

I usually make up 2 cups at a time and store the extra in a mason jar. Making your own is great for controlling how salty the spice mixture is. The signature taste in mine is the cumin I think. Anyway the family likes it - it goes on a lot of things that get cooked on the grill or roasted in the oven.

I buy bone-in breasts and cook them skin-on. Using a saute pan that can go in the oven, brown both sides a light golden brown, pop them in the oven 300 convection or 350 and cook until done to the touch of my fingers - you get to know what feels done. They'll be moist and the meat comes off the bone easily enough. Skin is optional, and yes, if it gets peeled off I might sprinkle a little more spice mix on.