Would love some fat burning ideas..

Options
I am a runner...I can say that I really love to run...but now I have runners knee and I have to find other options for weight control and general fitness. ..guess I just need some one to kick me in the right direction..

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics are fantastic especially with a knee injury. It is one of the hardest workouts since you have the constant resistance of the water and not as boring as swimming laps.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,733 Member
    Options
    I gave up running due to repeated joint injuries. It's all no impact for me nowadays. Skating (ice or inline), aerobic machines such as the elliptical or the rowing machine. Cardio machines are bearable if you watch TV on a tablet or phone app during your workout. When I have a really bad knee injury which prevents me from doing any of the above I will swim, but I really dislike that. I still have my crutches from my last ankle surgery, so I might give that a try next time I have a bad knee injury. According to the HRM hopping behind crutches burns as much as my regular workout on the elliptical.
  • mraichelson
    mraichelson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cycling might be a decent option. I've always avoided running since I tend to get some shin pain with high-impact exercise, but bikes have worked out pretty well for me. Depending on how much weight/stress you're able to put on your knees that might color the kind of cycling you'd have better luck with (mountain biking is a little more pressure/weight/strength oriented, road biking tends to use faster/more-persistant pedaling but with less tension to keep speeds up).

Bonus points: It's outside and you get to actually see things besides the controls of an elliptical.