How a calorie deficit works?

Options
So I work a lightly active job and weigh 165 lbs.and am 5"5. My BMR is 1500 and my TDEE is 2085. How do I use these tools to lose weight. How much am I supposed to eat if I work out 6 days a week for abouf 90 - 120 minutes. I'm so confused with how a calorie deficit works. Please help!

Replies

• cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Set MFP at what you would like to use and it will set you a daily allowance. Most prob between 1200-1500. Then log exercise as you do it and it will give you extra cals which you can eat back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Option 1:
    TDEE is maintenance. It should include all exercise you intend to do. Take 500 off that number for 1 pound a week (250 for 1/2 pound a week). If you want to log exercise in MFP....override the calorie estimate to zero. Because TDEE less 500 is close to your BMR....your are fairly close to goal.

Option 2: Use MFP values based on activity level (before exercise). Choose 1 or 1/2 pound a week. Then log your workouts.....eat back 50-75% of the calories given. MFP over estimates calorie burns.

Either method theoretically gets you back to the same starting point.

• kaylarosas21
    kaylarosas21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat back your calories? Also do you usually have to eat above or below your BMR?

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat back your calories? Also do you usually have to eat above or below your BMR?

You should eat back calories so that your body has the fuel it needs to power them and the amino acids it needs to repair things that are temporarily damaged by exercise (in other words, to adapt to it). But many calculators vastly overestimate the calories that are burned in exercise; hence the common advice to eat back 50-75%. (After a few weeks, adjust that percentage based on your actual results.)

Whether you eat above or below BMR depends on your height, weight, activity level, and desired weight loss. If you're an active person, you should be eating well over your BMR in order to have a safe, sustainable level of weight loss (1-1.5 pounds per week, unless you have over 75 pounds to lose). A sedentary person who doesn't exercise might eat somewhat below BMR, especially if he or she had a lot of weight to lose.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're using TDEE you do not eat back exercise calories. If you're using MFP you eat back at least a portion of them.

You should always eat above your BMR. .